Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    03 Jun '17 19:58
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Varadkar

Leo Varadkar is expected to become Ireland's next Taoiseach (prime minister).
    He's an openly gay man. His father's an Indian immigrant doctor; his mother's an Irish nurse.

"Varadkar spoke publicly for the first time about being gay:
    "it’s not something that defines me. I'm not a half-Indian politician, or a
    doctor politician or a gay politician for that matter. It’s just part of who
    I am, it doesn't define me, it is part of my character I suppose."
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    03 Jun '17 20:051 edit
    http://time.com/4531429/medication-abortion-ireland/

"How Irish Women Are Getting Around Abortion Laws"
    --Alexandra Sifferlin (18 October 2016,'Time' magazine)

"The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland have some of the most restrictive laws surrounding
    abortion in the world. The procedure is illegal in both countries; the exception is only to save
    a pregnant woman’s life. In the midst of a debate in Ireland over whether abortion prohibitions
    should be reconsidered, a new study released on Monday provides insight into how
    women on both sides of the border are obtaining abortions—despite the restrictions.

In Northern Ireland, obtaining an abortion is punishable by a life sentence, which is the strictest
    criminal penalty for abortion in Europe. In Ireland, women could face a 14-year prison sentence,"

"The women in the study were diverse: They included married mothers, single mothers,
    migrant workers, young women completing their education, and rape victims."

"Ninety-four percent of the 1,023 women who completed the at-home abortion said they
    felt grateful for the option, 97% said at-home mediation abortion was the right choice for
    them, and 98% said they would recommend the option to other women with unwanted pregnancies.
    When asked about their feelings after completing the abortion, 70% of the women said they felt
    relieved, which was the most common sentiment expressed, followed by 35% who said they felt satisfied."

"“What I think is most striking is that women reported these clear benefits for their health
    and wellbeing and anatomy,” says Aiken. “I think it really demonstrates that women can
    make the best choice for themselves when it comes to their own reproduction. The only
    negative thing about this is that women reported they had to do it against the law, and
    they went through considerable stress and anxiety and secrecy and isolation and shame.”
  3. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '17 14:52
    Originally posted by Duchess64

He's an openly gay man. His father's an Indian immigrant doctor; his mother's an Irish nurse.

"it’s not something that defines me. I'm not a half-Indian politician, o ...[text shortened]... tter. It’s just part of who
    He's " political correctness " rolled up in one .
    He could have a march on his own ,it would cover just about everything ....
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    04 Jun '17 15:52
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Which aspect of his identity most irritates and upsets you?
  5. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '17 15:59
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Which aspect of his identity most irritates and upsets you?
    Did I say it did ?
    I find it quite amusing ,not irritating or upsetting .
    Chubby Brown will love it .
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 01:08
    Does Phil3000 believe that Leo Varadkar chose his parents? Or his sexual orientation?
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 01:09
    Originally posted by phil3000 to Finnegan
    Did I say it did ?
    I find it quite amusing ,not irritating or upsetting .
    Chubby Brown will love it .
    Phil3000 would sing a different tune if Leo Varadkar's parents had named him 'Muhammad'.
  8. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 02:252 edits

"it’s not something that defines me. I'm not a half-Indian politician, o ...[text shortened]... tter. It’s just part of who
    These facts are fairly well known, so why are you telling us this here?
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 03:23
    Originally posted by mchill
    These facts are fairly well known, so why are you telling us this here?
    With nothing to contribute, my obsessive troll Mchill jumps into another thread to troll me.

"These facts are fairly well known ..."
    --Mchill

Wrong. What percentage of Americans could even identify Leo Varadkar? I expect that it's much less than 50%.
    President Trump might well not know what I wrote about Leo Varadkar unless he paid attention to his briefing.

"So why are you telling us this here?"
    --Mchill

Because I don't assume that everyone can read Mchill's omniscient mind. (sarcasm intended)
  10. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 16:22
    Does Phil3000 believe that Leo Varadkar chose his parents? Or his sexual orientation?
    do we rally need to know his sexual orientation ?
  11. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 16:59
    Phil3000 would sing a different tune if Leo Varadkar's parents had named him 'Muhammad'.
    He would of probably been killed for being gay ,killed by a Muslim extremist .
  12. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 17:05
    He would of probably been killed for being gay ,killed by a Muslim extremist .
    Why "of"?
  13. Germany
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 17:42
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Why "of"?
    Lazy, ignorant people typically only consider a word's pronounciation when attempting to formulate a sentence, avoiding spending any energy on analyzing sentence structure or thinking about the meaning of commonly used words such as "of." Evidently, the ignorance and carelessness they thus portray is of no concern to them.
  14. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 18:33
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Lazy, ignorant people typically only consider a word's pronounciation when attempting to formulate a sentence, avoiding spending any energy on analyzing sentence structure or thinking about the meaning of commonly used words such as "of." Evidently, the ignorance and carelessness they thus portray is of no concern to them.
    People are lazy and ignorant in different ways ,anyone would think it was a major crime to misspell or use bad grammar .
    I agree ,grammar is important but there are other things more importanter .
    ( importanter, is a joke by the way )
    And you are correct , the ignorance and carelessness is of absolutely ,100% of no concern to me .
    I have far more things to concern me than " of " on a chess forum site .
    You really need to get a life you boring twat !...how's that for grammar ?

😵
  15. Germany
    Moves
    05 Jun '17 19:44
    People are lazy and ignorant in different ways ,anyone would think it was a major crime to misspell or use bad grammar .
    I agree ,grammar is important but there are other things more importanter .
    ( importanter, is a joke by the way )
    And you are correct , the ignorance and carelessness is of absolutely ,100% of no concern to me .
    I have far more thing ...[text shortened]... forum site .
    You really need to get a life you boring twat !...how's that for grammar ?

😵
    I don't think you have committed any "major crime" on these message boards; indeed, your sexual assault on the English language is one of the more benign consequences of the aforementioned characteristics that you here unapologetically acknowledge. Among the more concerning consequences would be the impact on other people's lives and well-being, for example as a result of your undoubtedly ill-informed and mistaken decision for the forthcoming general election in the U.K.