Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 26 Aug '17 00:30
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/25/donald-trump-teleprompter-speech

"The sad truth about Teleprompter Trump"

"If they weren’t working for Donald Trump, one might almost feel sorry
    for his speechwriters. How they must labor over those mellifluous
    phrases urging tolerance and love – only to see their hard work undone
    the minute the boss gets his hands on an electronic device.

But the ones who deserve our sympathy are the American people, and
    the people of the world, who know that this president is mouthing pieties
    that he privately mocks, who know they are being lied to, and who can’t
    seem to make the pretense, the meanness and the hypocrisy stop."

"The next day, addressing a rally of fervent supporters in Phoenix,
    Arizona, he delivered one of the most blistering rants of his career. ...
    His phrasing (punchy, aggressive, frequently inarticulate), his vocabulary (limited) and
    his tone (bombastic, unhinged) could scarcely have been less like what we heard Monday night,"

"Even so, we sense that Trump means the insults, the boasts, the
    attacks, the inflated claims about his popularity and achievements.
    When he reads the words that someone else – someone who apparently
    thinks that we must “renew the bonds of loyalty” – has scripted, he seems
    like an ill-bred, unruly child, compelled by his parents to tell the neighbors
    that he’s sorry he broke their window, to tell his classmate that he regrets his
    bullying behavior, to repeat, with reluctance, the apology that his elders insist he offer."

"What is new is a president who, speaking informally or to his “base”, sounds
    *nothing* like the person who reads aloud the words that someone else has written.
    What is new is the effort required not to feel insulted, not to feel we are being
    taken for fools when we are asked to imagine that Trump believes what he says
    whenever he is persuaded to sound like the president of the United States.

We feel reasonably certain that the adults who convince a child to apologize
    for his reckless or damaging behavior will try to dissuade that child from doing further harm.
    But we have yet to identify the responsible adult who will gently and legally take
    the baseball bat, or the brick – or the nuclear option – away from the dangerous child in the White House."
  2. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    26 Aug '17 12:08
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/25/donald-trump-teleprompter-speech

"The sad truth about Teleprompter Trump"

"If they weren’t working for Donald Trump, one might almost feel sorry
    for his speechwriters. How they must labor over those mellifluous
    phrases urging tolerance and love – only to see their hard work undone
    the minut ...[text shortened]... l bat, or the brick – or the nuclear option – away from the dangerous child in the White House."
    Duchess and Trump have the same warm and friendly personality. You two might make a cute couple!
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    27 Aug '17 13:06 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Duchess and Trump have the same warm and friendly personality. You two might make a cute couple!
    So because you think Dutchy has an acerbic personality none of what she say is right? Sounds like deflection on your part.
    I can tell you this: If I had been born black, I would most likely be dead before I reached 21, feeling the oppressive thumbs of whites.

I would not go easy into that quiet night. I have a temper and would have used it. But that is me. I have a mixed race family and live in a racist town and absolutely HATE the oppressive racist police force here, have felt that in my own family, thugs masquerading as cops beating up on my own brown skin children.

In this shyte town, even Irish background like me am vilified because of some coal mine incident over 100 years ago, Irish and Welch are vilified here too, you don't have to be brown or black, they hate us Irish just as much, Pennsylvania dutch are racist to the bone.

My life situation causes me to be economically forced to live here and other reasons, but I hope by 2018 we can get the hell out of this hell hole town.

My wife and I are from Venice Beach California and she is 4th gen Venice Beacher, and I am a close by native and to be thrust here in this hell hole town of Slatington Pa from that environment where every race lives more or less in peace grinds on me every day. I have NEVER felt at home here and cannot WAIT till we can get the hell out.
    If I had known the racist nature of Slatington I would never have subjected my family to this shyte town but it is what it is and we have to live with it, at least for now.