Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 12:23
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/03/08/132-hours-train-teachers-guns-enough/408525002/

Like the Polk County program, the new one requires school guardians to complete 132 total hours of comprehensive firearm safety and proficiency training, including:

80 hours of firearms instruction, with an 85% pass rate on the final exam
    16 hours of instruction in precision pistol shooting
    8 hours of shooting instruction using state-of-the-art simulators
    8 hours of instruction in active shooter or assailant scenarios.
    Applicants must also pass a psychological evaluation and drug test (as well as subsequent random drug tests) and commit to ongoing training, weapon inspections and annual firearm qualification.

Why not require this for EVERYONE? This would be a gigantic milestone in reducing gun violence. Because as of right now, Florida has passed the following gun legislation (which just needs to be signed by the governor):

- Raise the age to purchase a firearm to 21 from 18;
    - Require a three-day waiting period for firearm purchases, with some exceptions;
    - Ban the sale or possession of bump fire stocks, which allow a semiautomatic weapon to fire more like an automatic weapon;
    - Give law enforcement more authority to seize weapons and ammunition from those deemed mentally unfit or otherwise a threat;
    - Provide additional funding for armed school resource officers and mental health services.

What a great precedent this would set for the country if not only the bill passed was signed, but the requirements for teachers were also included for everyone in Florida. If the entire nation passed both, it would be a tremendous service to the memories of the Columbine, Sandy Hook and Parkland High School children, as well as all the other mass-shooting victims.

After the Orlando mass-shooting (which at the time was the worst mass-shooting in history) and Parkland, this needs to be done. In the meantime, I applaud the bill they have passed, and it's a great first step. The governor hasn't signed it yet due to the provision allowing teachers to be armed. I say, ditch that provision, and apply the requirements to own a gun proposed for teachers to all citizens.
  2. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 13:25
    Arming teachers is stupid. Unless the teacher is packing a loaded pistil in the classroom, like police officers, it's pretty useless. If they are carrying, how long before some student tries to grab it? If there is an active shooter, is the teacher suppose to open their door, expose the students and face someone with a semi automatic or maybe a bump stock enhanced automatic with their pistil? If police arrive and see a teacher, especially a male teacher, with a gun, how do they know it's not the shooter? This is equally an issue in any public venue. The police arrive and see someone with a gun out and I'm guessing they assume the worst and try to shoot him/her in the head. How about letting the CDC research mass murder and then make recommendations based on hard science of how we can prevent typically young but always white and always men from trying to kill as many people as possible in a short period of time. Maybe money would be better spent on making sure schools have psychologists and social workers and therapists who are assigned to help students and their families with their emotional problems. Schools have psychologists but they are universally charged with administering all those academic tests. Improve social services and the safety net so families do not experience devastating economic and health care stress which destroys families and emotionally and physically hurts children. Most working Americans in the lower upper class on down are just a few pay checks away from losing their health insurance, their home, their car should their job disappear. If they tap into their retirement savings, there goes their future.
  3. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 13:29
    Originally posted by @vivify
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/03/08/132-hours-train-teachers-guns-enough/408525002/

[quote]Like the Polk County program, the new one requires school guardians to complete 132 total hours of comprehensive firearm safety and proficiency training, including:

16 hours of ...[text shortened]... h that provision, and apply the requirements to own a gun proposed for teachers to all citizens.
    Yes to this list but I would add get rid of the semi automatic weapon designed to kill people, not animals. As for those who think they need the semi automatic to ward off the U.S. military, the most powerful military on the planet, I content you have a mental health issue. In fact, perhaps anyone who wants to purchase a semi automatic military grade weapon has significant mental health issues and should go on some watch list as a potential mass murderer.
    . - Raise the age to purchase a firearm to 21 from 18;
    - Require a three-day waiting period for firearm purchases, with some exceptions;
    - Ban the sale or possession of bump fire stocks, which allow a semiautomatic weapon to fire more like an automatic weapon;
    - Give law enforcement more authority to seize weapons and ammunition from those deemed mentally unfit or otherwise a threat;
    - Provide additional funding for armed school resource officers and mental health services.
  4. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 13:58
    Originally posted by @phranny
    Yes to this list but I would add get rid of the semi automatic weapon designed to kill people, not animals. As for those who think they need the semi automatic to ward off the U.S. military, the most powerful military on the planet, I content you have a mental health issue. In fact, perhaps anyone who wants to purchase a semi automatic military grade weapon ...[text shortened]... t;
    I must recuse myself from this conversation.

I live and work in the communities discussed above.
    I was working in hospital that day in June. I will never forget.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 14:00
    Originally posted by @phranny
    Arming teachers is stupid. Unless the teacher is packing a loaded pistil in the classroom, like police officers, it's pretty useless. If they are carrying, how long before some student tries to grab it? If there is an active shooter, is the teacher suppose to open their door, expose the students and face someone with a semi automatic or maybe a bump stock e ...[text shortened]... should their job disappear. If they tap into their retirement savings, there goes their future.
    How about letting the CDC research mass murder and then make recommendations based on hard science...
    Because that would require discovery and other aspects of due process.
    Those in charge of these events do not want these things examined objectively, so the less people scrutinizing them, the better.
  6. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 17:513 edits

[quote]Like the Polk County program, the new one requires school guardians to complete 132 total hours of comprehensive firearm safety and proficiency training, including:

16 hours of ...[text shortened]... h that provision, and apply the requirements to own a gun proposed for teachers to all citizens.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 17:551 edit
    Originally posted by @kquinn909
    Think the criminals care about laws?
    Why have laws, then? Let's not ban rape since rapists obviously don't care about laws.
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 19:47

tell me how that stops a psycho from shooting up a school?
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    10 Mar '18 08:18
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    tell me how that stops a psycho from shooting up a school?
    We need robust strategies in schools!
    1. Train Navy Seals to be teachers.
    2. Surround perimeter with barbed wire and minefield.
    3. Issue all principals with Minimis.
    4. Give Dinner Ladies grenades.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 Mar '18 15:52
    You guys are missing the point. If teachers must be required to go through extensive training, waiting periods, background check, periodic reviews, etc., why can't this be applied to everyone who wants a gun?

The standards Florida came up with for teachers to start packing should be universal.
  11. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 03:39
    80 hours of training, lol, probably 3/4 of this is focused on turning them into better shooters.

I can't imagine that it's literally some bozo spending 70 hours talking about why you don't keep a gun loaded with the safety off in your glove department or pants pocket.