Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 20 Feb '13 00:44
    Victor Davis Hanson is a classical scholar and a military historian.
    While I respect what he writes about warfare in classical Greece, I regard
    Victor Davis Hanson as too Eurocentric as a military historian, and I tend to
    disagree with his hard right-wing political views. So I don't necessarily agree
    with what Victor Davis Hanson (who seems too obsessively partisan in attacking
    the perceived American 'Left' writes in this article.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/340945/tangled-web-race-victor-davis-hanson

"The Tangled Web of Race" by Victor Davis Hanson (19 February 2013)

"(Christopher) Dorner's hate-filled diatribe...revealed him to be incoherent,
    half-educated, and racist in his stereotyping of Latinos, Asians, and whites....
    His chief complaint was against his Asian-American lawyer, who, Dorner claims,
    inadequately pressed his appeal. The first victims of his rage against a supposedly
    anti-minority police department, then, were the lawyer's daughter and her
    mixed-race fiance. Dorner was apparently aware that in modern state
    employment, the charge of racism can be an effective antidote for career
    disappointment. But he was also clearly frustrated by the race and gender
    complexity of southern California."
    --Victor Davis Hanson (19 February 2013)

I suspect that if Monica Quan and Keith Lawrence had been a white couple, some
    people would not have rationalized Christopher Dorner killing them in 'cold blood'.

"But the Dorner and Martin cases suggest that the old racial binaries are
    fossilized and increasingly irrelevant. The United States is now a multiracial
    society, an intermarried society, and an integrated society, in which racial
    identity is each year more confusing."
    --Victor Davis Hanson

I concur with his point on the 'old racial binaries'. Yet Hanson seems to overstate
    the facts in writing of an 'intermarried society' and an 'integrated society'.
    There's still much bigotry against some kinds of interracial marriage (particularly
    white women and black or Asian men), and there's still ample de facto racial
    segregation in housing and schools in the United States.

"It is hard to demonstrate to the lower-middle-class white male... that his
    supposed 24/7 privilege must be countered by affirmative action accorded to
    wealthier Latinos or Asians at Stanford..."
    --Victor Davis Hanson

I know of no evidence that any wealthy Asian student would be accepted at
    Stanford University *only* on the basis of 'affirmative action'. That might be
    possible if this Asian student *also* had some disadvantage (such as a severe
    physical handicap) that's not intrinsically related to being Asian. Asian students,
    regardless of their families' financial status, usually are not perceived and treated
    as a disadvantaged or an underrepresented minority at any American university.
    So Asian male students don't receive such consideration under 'affirmative action'.
  2. 20 Feb '13 01:10
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Victor Davis Hanson is a classical scholar and a military historian.
    While I respect what he writes about warfare in classical Greece, I regard
    Victor Davis Hanson as too Eurocentric as a military historian, and I tend to
    disagree with his hard right-wing political views. So I don't necessarily agree
    with what Victor Davis Hanson (who seems too obsess ...[text shortened]... dents don't receive such consideration under 'affirmative action'.
    What are you proposing debate on? Victor David Hansen's political leanings? His tendency to be overly Eurocentric? His views on racism in the US?
  3. 20 Feb '13 02:18
    Originally posted by normbenign
    What are you proposing debate on? Victor David Hansen's political leanings?
    His tendency to be overly Eurocentric? His views on racism in the US?
    Why not discuss Victor Davis Hanson's view of Christopher Dorner and
    his view of some of Dorner's apparent sympathizers or admirers?