Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    29 Sep '11 22:02
    Heaven forbid liberals should have a monopoly on the so-called "race card." What do you make of this nice soundbite from the new third-place-in-the-polls GOP candidate, Mr. Cain?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/28/cain-black-community-brainwashed-into-voting-for-dems/?hpt=po_t2

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open minded, not even considering a conservative point of view," Godfather's Pizza executive Herman Cain said on CNN's "The Situation Room" in an interview airing Wednesday between 5-7 p.m. ET. "I have received some of that same vitriol simply because I am running for the Republican nomination as a conservative. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open minded, pure and simple."
  2. 29 Sep '11 22:15
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Heaven forbid liberals should have a monopoly on the so-called "race card." What do you make of this nice soundbite from the new third-place-in-the-polls GOP candidate, Mr. Cain?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/28/cain-black-community-brainwashed-into-voting-for-dems/?hpt=po_t2

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being ...[text shortened]... ve. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open minded, pure and simple."
    Clearly this man is a terrible racist. He obviously hates black people if he thinks they have been manipulated by democrats. Maybe he should just go ahead and campaign in a white sheet.
  3. 29 Sep '11 22:29
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Clearly this man is a terrible racist. He obviously hates black people if he thinks they have been manipulated by democrats. Maybe he should just go ahead and campaign in a white sheet.
    I respectfully disagree with Mr. Cain's assertion that African Americans aren't largely intelligent, independent thinkers who just happen to disagree with his politics.
  4. 29 Sep '11 22:35
    Originally posted by wittywonka

"African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being ...[text shortened]... ve. So it's just brainwashing and people not being open minded, pure and simple."
    I find your characterization of Mr. Cain's remark somewhat reaffirming of what he said, whether you're black or not. The Democratic party view is that blacks ought to be on their side, no matter what, and if recent past history is continued, they are right.

If one considers the actual record of accomplishments for blacks it really isn't so clear that black folks haven't been "brainwashed", or at least convinced to vote against their own best interests. Black folks are religiously conservative, and generally oppose Democratic social issues, except affirmative action. They tend to be entrepreneurial, and the black middle class is the fastest growing demographic around. Yet they vote +90% for the party that stood in the school house door, championed AFDC which replaced the black father in urban families, and had a grand dragon of the KKK as its senior Senate member until he died, and which opposed the abolition of slavery.

Even affirmative action hasn't been as favorable to black students as it was intended. Undeniably, it helped some minority students to succeed. As usual, there is a dark unseen side, and that is that a lot of kids ended up accepted into schools in which they would have difficulty thriving. Thomas Sowell of Stanford has reported that the affirmative action students admitted there, are most often misplaced and badly served. They would have done well at a non elite State school, but often fail to ever graduate after dropping out of Stanford.

The main thing is that this is not playing any kind of "race card". Mr. Cain isn't counting on people voting for him because he is black. He wants blacks to stop voting for skin color, or for the person who panders to them based on skin color. He is the "anti racist".
  5. 29 Sep '11 22:36
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I respectfully disagree with Mr. Cain's assertion that African Americans aren't largely intelligent, independent thinkers who just happen to disagree with his politics.
    "aren't largely intelligent, independent thinkers"

That isn't remotely close to what he said.
  6. 29 Sep '11 22:58
    Originally posted by normbenign
    "aren't largely intelligent, independent thinkers"

That isn't remotely close to what he said.
    Oh, so he opined that blacks are intelligent, independent thinkers who have been "brainwashed into not having an open mind"?
  7. 29 Sep '11 23:34
    I find your characterization of Mr. Cain's remark somewhat reaffirming of what he said, whether you're black or not. The Democratic party view is that blacks ought to be on their side, no matter what, and if recent past history is continued, they are right.

If one considers the actual record of accomplishments for blacks it really isn't so clear that ...[text shortened]... or for the person who panders to them based on skin color. He is the "anti racist".
    The Democratic party view is that blacks ought to be on their side, no matter what

Which of course, is absolute nonsense that you can't back up with anything.

Black folks are religiously conservative, and generally oppose Democratic social issues, except affirmative action.

"Religiously conservative"? Or are you asserting that people who are religious should de facto be Republicans.

Also, are you claiming blacks are pro-capital punishment? Against legalizing marijuana? Anti-choice? Links to back your social conservatives claim please.

They tend to be entrepreneurial

Not sure if this is true, but I heard a nasty rumor that Liberals like Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and Steve Jobs have entrepreneurial tendencies.

and the black middle class is the fastest growing demographic around.

And?

Yet they vote +90% for the party that stood in the school house door, championed AFDC which replaced the black father in urban families

Are you actually suggesting that federal assistance for low income families chased fathers away? LOL! Thank you for that.

and had a grand dragon of the KKK as its senior Senate member until he died, and which opposed the abolition of slavery.

I respectfully disagree with your assertion that blacks are so idiotic and narrow minded as to believe one man defines an entire party. To say nothing of racist Republican politicians like David Duke, who was endorsed by Bush 1.

I believe blacks are intelligent, independent thinkers who happen to disagree with your politics. You think blacks are so ignorant and stupid they've been brainwashed en mass. I respectfully disagree with you.
  8. 30 Sep '11 00:19
    [b]The Democratic party view is that blacks ought to be on their side, no matter what

Which of course, is absolute nonsense that you can't back up with anything.

Black folks are religiously conservative, and generally oppose Democratic social issues, except affirmative action.

"Religiously conservative"? Or are you asserting t ...[text shortened]... e so ignorant and stupid they've been brainwashed en mass. I respectfully disagree with you.[/b]
    Race has been a huge issue for the Democratic party almost since its beginning. The emphasis hasn't always been on equality, in fact during most of its history it opposed equality.

The last Democrat I know that was for equality was Thomas Jefferson, who although a slave owner, opposed slavery and sought a solution of what to do with several million displaced Africans.

In the current context of contemporary politics we can only go by reality. It is the Democratic party that constantly talks about hanging from trees, calls the opposition racist bas*****, and which projects upon the opposition that which they preach. They are the ones going into black churches, speaking in "negro voice", "Ah ain't no ways tarrd", Hillary Clinton. Al Gore and Bill Clinton in their best Martin Luther King acts in black churches. And Barrak Obama doing his toned down Reverend Jeremiah Wright act.

No other racial group is so polarized as are today's blacks. I don't look at blacks as lacking in intelligence, and I'm sure that Herman Caine doesn't either.

Talk to a few actual black folks someday. You'll find out how they feel about social issues.

"Are you actually suggesting that federal assistance for low income families chased fathers away? LOL! Thank you for that."

It isn't a "suggestion" from me, but an observation from living in the black ghetto for most of my adult life. I've seen girls tell their moms, 'I can have a baby and the worker will get me an apartment, so go to hell momma.'

This isn't just in the black ghettos, but to a lesser extent among poor whites who become generationally addicted to welfare. In many predominantly black urban areas, births to married couples are a tiny minority of total births. Households without a father are the rule not the exception. Watch a few Tyler Perry stage plays, and movies to see entertaining portrayals of this social malfunction, which did not exist prior to AFDC welfare.

There is also an excellent chapter in Thomas Sowell's book "Visions of the Anointed" which isolates this reality.
  9. 30 Sep '11 00:52 / 1 edit
    Race has been a huge issue for the Democratic party almost since its beginning. The emphasis hasn't always been on equality, in fact during most of its history it opposed equality.

The last Democrat I know that was for equality was Thomas Jefferson, who although a slave owner, opposed slavery and sought a solution of what to do with several million di omas Sowell's book "Visions of the Anointed" which isolates this reality.

OK, you convinced me. Build a time machine, take us back in time and I'll vote Republican.

It is the Democratic party that constantly talks about hanging from trees

Link please

calls the opposition racist bas*****,

I've seen individuals who happen to be Republican called racist. Most of the time it's warranted, but not all.

They are the ones going into black churches, speaking in "negro voice"

Wow. Just wow. Keep talking, please.

Talk to a few actual black folks someday. You'll find out how they feel about social issues.

Talk to a few actual black folks?? LOL I have actual black folks in my family.

It isn't a "suggestion" from me, but an observation from living in the black ghetto for most of my adult life. I've seen girls tell their moms, 'I can have a baby and the worker will get me an apartment, so go to hell momma.'

So to back your absurd suggestion that fathers decide to leave the home because they qualify for federal assistance... you throw in a make believe conversation complete with racial stereotype. "Mamma"

This isn't just in the black ghettos, but to a lesser extent among poor whites who become generationally addicted to welfare.

And the only two people I've personally known who were on welfare at one point used it to get on their feet and permanently got off of it. And I'm still waiting for you to back your claim that fathers decide to leave because of federal assistance.
  10. 30 Sep '11 01:09
    Ignorance and poverty go hand in hand. If the Dems can keep most Blacks stupid and poor, all they have to do is point to the Civil Rights movement and their participation in it as a licsence to represent them on their behalf till the end of time.

What exactly has been done for Blacks since the Civil Rights movement? Currently Black unemployment and poverty are at all time highs, but all that they can do is point the finger at the Tea Party?
  11. 30 Sep '11 01:22
    Originally posted by whodey
    Ignorance and poverty go hand in hand. If the Dems can keep most Blacks stupid and poor, all they have to do is point to the Civil Rights movement and their participation in it as a licsence to represent them on their behalf till the end of time.

What exactly has been done for Blacks since the Civil Rights movement? Currently Black unemployment and poverty are at all time highs, but all that they can do is point the finger at the Tea Party?
    Now there's a conspiracy to keep blacks "stupid and poor"? lol

Between you Norm it's beginning to be even more clear why the Republicans have a tough time communicating with the black community.

Do tell, why do blacks in the military vote overwhelmingly for Democrats? People in the military certainly aren't poor, and over a third of applicants don't score high enough on the ASVAB to even qualify - so don't even try the "stupid" stereotype.

Right now unemployment is very high for all demographics, but I'm sure you accidentally forgot to mention that trivial bit of information.

Last, can I have a link proving that black unemployment is at an all time high? The fact that your reply won't contain one proves you just made that s**t up, as usual.
  12. 30 Sep '11 01:39
    Now there's a conspiracy to keep blacks "stupid and poor"? lol

Between you Norm it's beginning to be even more clear why the Republicans have a tough time communicating with the black community.

Do tell, why do blacks in the military vote overwhelmingly for Democrats? People in the military certainly aren't poor, and over a third of applican ...[text shortened]... e fact that your reply won't contain one proves you just made that s**t up, as usual.
    http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/02/news/economy/black_unemployment?_rate/index.htm

To be clear, the black unemployment rate has not been this high since 1984. White unemployment rates have fallen a bit, around 8%, but gone up for blacks.

As for the conspiracy bit, who said there was one? I view the public school system the culprit by in large. We all know that most minorities attend inner city schools which are notoriously hell holes. No one defends the public school system as is more than the DNC due to various interest groups such as teachers unions etc.

Poverty and ignorance is s cycle and unless someone gets off their arse and charts a new course for the nation in terms of education the cycle continues as well as blind support for those that help enslave them.
  13. 30 Sep '11 02:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/02/news/economy/black_unemployment?_rate/index.htm

To be clear, the black unemployment rate has not been this high since 1984. White unemployment rates have fallen a bit, around 8%, but gone up for blacks.

As for the conspiracy bit, who said there was one? I view the public school system the culprit by in large. We all kn ...[text shortened]... erms of education the cycle continues as well as blind support for those that help enslave them.
    OK, so your "all time high" bit was blatantly false. Don't worry, no one is shocked.

Obama and the Democrats started out well, taking us from 750,000 lost jobs per month to a small amount of jobs gains per month through the stimulus package. Unfortunately the Republicans have been able to block everything meaningful to the economy and control the agenda since then.

YOU implied there's a Democratic conspiracy to keep the black poor. BTW, the fact that blacks who are not poor still vote overwhelmingly Democratic pretty much destroys that talking point of yours.

"If the Dems can keep most Blacks stupid and poor, all they have to do is..."
  14. 30 Sep '11 02:08
    [b]Race has been a huge issue for the Democratic party almost since its beginning. The emphasis hasn't always been on equality, in fact during most of its history it opposed equality.

OK, you convinced me. Build a time machine, take us back in time and I'll vote Republican.

It is the Democratic party that constantly talks about hang ...[text shortened]... your claim that fathers decide to leave because of federal assistance.
    Quit it. You know the history of the Democratic party. You know George Wallace, Bull Connor.

You need a link to talk of hanging from trees? Its been the talk of every town with two Democratic Congress critters using the language. Maxine Waters racist insults to TEA Party members to "go straight to Hell".

Oh you don't recall Mrs. Clintons insulting parady of Blacks? Or her husband and Al Gore campaigning in black churches with Gore in particular mimmicking black preachers.

LOL all you want. My entire family is black. So take your I know black people. The likelihood is that you know black liberals. They are generally who hang out with white dogooders.

Being fooled or brainwashed doesn't imply less intelligence. It implies being lied to, being ganked. Wake up and listen to Mr. Cain, and reflect on what Democratic welfare state policies actually do to blacks, instead of the heady promises of what they intend to do.

It wasn't my suggestion that fathers leave on account of federal assistance. That usually isn't necessary. The father only has to hide his clothing and be gone when the worker visits.

I was referring, and I think you already know it, to the economic motivation of young girls to have babies, when they have no inkling of the total costs. Then they are trapped in the cycle, having another to get a bigger check, and another, and very often getting lured into drug addiction and prostitution as part of the bargain. Illegitimacy was a minor problem in the black community in the 50s and 60s. Though poor the black family was intact, with lower divorce and abandonment rates than whites. That all ended in the 60s, and though other factors, such as sex education in public schools, and a general sexual revolution probably played a part, liberal subsidizing of premarital pregnancy was a huge factor in the breakdown of the black family.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    30 Sep '11 02:08
    An interesting perspective which makes sense at least for older Blacks IMO:

The Republican Party claims to be conservative because they stand for family, God, morality, do not support gay or abortion rights, and believe in tradition and heritage. The difference between their conservatism and Black conservatism is that they have power, wealth, influence, and they do not want any system to change their advantage. The Blacks on the other hand lacks all these things and have no advantage. The only advantage they seem to have is civil rights and affirmative action, which is actually a hand out from the government to make up for their lack and disadvantage. You would expect two conservative groups to be best of friends, but it is not so between the Republicans and the Blacks. The conservatism of the Republicans is to maintain their culture, way of life, and most importantly to maintain their economic and political status. Black conservatism is more religious than cultural, but a little bit of both. They feel that is what the Bible said and so be it. Blacks are the true American conservatives but why do they vote Democrat?

Black America already knew God, they already know morality, they will always reject abortion and homosexuality, they are the conservatives, but they are in search of economic and political relevance. As long as the Republicans are in power and are interested in keeping things the way they are, the Blacks will never achieve economic and political relevance. Despite the fact that the Democrats are a little too liberal on some morale issues, many Blacks perceive them as the vehicle to attaining true freedom, equality, and opportunity. The conservatism of the Republicans helps make laws or create a system that hinders Black progress, while the liberalism of Democrats promotes acceptance and tolerance for various groups to excel, be it good or bad.

http://www.edofolks.com/html/blacks_democrat.htm