Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 26 Oct '17 21:59 / 1 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/26/ascent-lgbt-right-wing-afd

"The troubling ascent of the LGBT right wing.
    Trump has a significant fanbase in the LGBT community. But links forged
    between the right and the gay community aren’t just unique to America."
    --Arwa Mahdawi

"Trump, you see, does have a fanbase among the LGBT community.
    While only 14% of gay Americans voted for him (it’s hard to get data on trans voters),
    he’s galvanised very vocal support among an influential group of gay, white,
    and financially well-off men."

"The friendships being forged between the right and the gay community
    aren’t just unique to America. Israel has long used pink-washing to help
    sanitize its treatment of Palestinians. And across the west there’s been
    a very calculated pink-washing of white nationalism. It’s OK to hate
    Muslims because Muslims hate gay people, we’re told by white people
    who also hate gay people – just not as much as they hate Muslims.
    Far-right parties have also realized that strategically dangling a few gay people
    acts as a sort of fundamentalist Febreze that dilutes the stench of their hatred."

"Let’s be clear: racism and misogyny in the queer community is nothing new.
    Nor is the pink-washing of white nationalism. Nevertheless, in the past year,
    the trend has become much more pronounced, and it’s disturbing to see
    so many gay people buy into the idea that our ability to come out depends on
    keeping brown people out.

Some people might argue that the increase in rightwing LGBTQ people represents a move
    away from identity politics. Ultimately, however, it’s just a move back to the oldest form of identity politics.
    One in which the protection of whiteness and wealth trumps everything."
  2. 26 Oct '17 22:06
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinkwashing_(LGBT)

"Pinkwashing is a portmanteau compound word of the words pink and whitewashing.
    In the context of LGBTI rights, it is used to describe a variety of marketing and political
    strategies aimed at promoting products, countries, people or entities through an appeal
    to queer-friendliness, in order to be perceived as progressive, modern and tolerant.
    The phrase was originally coined by Breast Cancer Action to identify companies that
    claimed to support people with breast cancer while actually profiting from their illness."

"Sarah Schulman, a writer and professor at the City University of New York, claims Israeli
    government public relations campaign exploits the idea of Israel being LGBT-friendly to
    promote public perception of Israel as a "modern democracy", a "safe and secured place
    for investment", and a "tourist destination with the sun and the sand".[6] In August 2011,
    The Jerusalem Post reported the Foreign Ministry was promoting Gay Israel as part of its
    campaigns to counter the negative stereotypes that many liberal Americans and Europeans
    have of Israel."

"A coalition organized by several popular grassroots movements in Europe, including the
    English Defence League (EDL), mounted demonstrations in conjunction with LGBT Pride Week
    celebrations in Helsinki and Stockholm in July and August 2012.[20][21] In an interview for
    Radio Sweden, the Swedish author and activist Lisa Bjurwald claimed that the EDL have
    exploited pride events in the United Kingdom by bringing attention to Islamic homophobia
    and that Queers against Pinkwashing (a group that protested against the Stockholm march)
    is opposed to talking about homophobia in Islam and label all such attempts as "pinkwashing"
    and a "divide and conquer tactic.""
  3. 26 Oct '17 23:23
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/26/ascent-lgbt-right-wing-afd

--Arwa Mahdawi

"Trump, you see, does have a fanbase among the LGBT communit ...[text shortened]... of identity politics.
    Homophobe
  4. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    26 Oct '17 23:48

--Arwa Mahdawi

"Trump, you see, does have a fanbase among the LGBT communit ...[text shortened]... of identity politics.
    It’s OK to hate Muslims because Muslims hate gay people, we’re told by white people

Who are the white people that told you this? Do you know for sure that all white people feel this way? I don't think they do.
  5. 26 Oct '17 23:56
    Originally posted by @mchill
    It’s OK to hate Muslims because Muslims hate gay people, we’re told by white people

Who are the white people that told you this? Do you know for sure that all white people feel this way? I don't think they do.
    I've personally spoken to the white people.

It's all true.
  6. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    27 Oct '17 01:05
    As someone who has been part of the LGBT for several decades I am not at all surprised by racism and other forms of right wing attitudes within the LGBT groups. There exists an animosity towards many T's by a small number of L's and G's. I experienced this in several discussion groups myself. It was most disturbing to me. But, it is what it is. Over the last 10 years my association with LGBT groups has been consciously limited by myself.

"Things don't change, people just change places"
    Quote from the movie, O Lucky Man.
  7. 27 Oct '17 02:02
    Originally posted by @caissad4
    As someone who has been part of the LGBT for several decades I am not at all
    surprised by racism and other forms of right wing attitudes within the LGBT groups.
    There exists an animosity towards many T's by a small number of L's and G's.
    I experienced this in several discussion groups myself. It was most disturbing to me.
    But, it is what it is. Ove ...[text shortened]... myself.

"Things don't change, people just change places"
    Quote from the movie, O Lucky Man.
    Thanks to Caissad4 for being the only person (Whodey and Mchill are lying racist trolls)
    in this thread to give honest feedback based upon experience of LGBTQ groups.
  8. Subscriber huckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    27 Oct '17 05:42 / 1 edit
    It's troubling that all LGBT don't think the same? It must be hard when your pet group doesn't do what you want. Next thing the blacks will turn out to have turn out to have diverse political opinions, how inconvenient will that be?

The Left will eat itself
  9. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    27 Oct '17 06:02
    When the political right has a proportionate number of
    minority groups we will know that several battles have been won.
  10. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    27 Oct '17 07:31
    LGBT people can be bastards too.

Who'd a thunk it?
    One might have to consider them being exactly the same as other people.
    brrrrrrrrr....
  11. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    27 Oct '17 10:16
    Thanks to Caissad4 for being the only person (Whodey and Mchill are lying racist trolls)
    in this thread to give honest feedback based upon experience of LGBTQ groups.
    (Whodey and Mchill are lying racist trolls)

I can't speak for Whodey, but our beloved Duchess claims she knows how "white people think" There are well over a billion white people on our planet, I highly doubt one can claim to know how all these people think. You say this makes me a lying racist troll? Well, I'm sorry my little inconvenient truth scored a debating point here, but insulting me isn't going to change any of this. Your stereotyping of white people is often inaccurate and misleading.

Rather than having an honest and civil discussion about these things, Duchess chooses to lash out with anger and venom whenever I point out a flaw in her argument. This is a "debates" forum Duchess, if you want to simply insult people, then please take your dazzling personality somewhere else.
  12. 27 Oct '17 18:45 / 2 edits

The lying racist troll Mchill has a long record of putting words into my mouth to attack 'strawmen'.

"It’s OK to hate Muslims because Muslims hate gay people, we’re told by white people
    who also hate gay people – just not as much as they hate Muslims."

The lying racist troll Mchill FALSELY (implicitly) attributes this statement to me.
    In fact, I was QUOTING Arwa Mahdawi, who wrote the article cited in the original post.

"And across the west there’s been a very calculated pink-washing of white nationalism.
    Far-right parties have also realized that strategically dangling a few gay people acts
    as a sort of fundamentalist Febreze that dilutes the stench of their hatred."
    --Arwa Mahdawi
  13. 27 Oct '17 18:53
    (Whodey and Mchill are lying racist trolls)

I can't speak for Whodey, but our beloved Duchess claims she knows how "white people think" There are well over a billion white people on our planet, I highly doubt one can claim to know how all these people think. You say this makes me a lying racist troll? Well, I'm sorry my little inconvenient truth scored a ...[text shortened]... want to simply insult people, then please take your dazzling personality somewhere else.
    The lying racist troll Mchill keeps putting words into my mouth and and making false accusations.

"... our beloved Duchess claims she knows how "white people think"."
    --Mchill

"It’s OK to hate Muslims because Muslims hate gay people, we’re told by white people
    who also hate gay people – just not as much as they hate Muslims."

The lying troll Mchill FALSELY (implicitly) attributes this statement to me.
    In fact, I was QUOTING Arwa Mahdawi, who wrote the article cited in the original post.

"Your stereotyping of white people is often inaccurate and misleading."
    --Mchill

Mchill has a record of, when white people are accurately quoted making evident racist comments,
    attempting to excuse them or to deny that it's even possible to know that they are racist.
    Mchill apparently prefers to dismiss surveys finding that racist attitudes are common among white people.
    In short, Mchill's determined to keep lying in attempting to deny that white people are racist.

For the record, Mchill has strong implied (and previously not denied) that he believes
    that white men (like himself) must be the most oppressed people in the USA today.
    That alone is enough to show the depth of Mchill's racism and his dishonesty about racism.
  14. 27 Oct '17 20:49
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2017/oct/27/muxes-documentary-the-mexican-town-where-gender-is-fluid

"Muxes: A Mexican Town Where Gender is Fluid"

"In Juchitán, Mexico, muxes – children identified as male at birth, but who choose
    at a young age to be raised as female – are embraced as part of the community."
  15. 27 Oct '17 20:54

Mchill has long complained about the alleged severe oppression of white men in the USA today.

https://splinternews.com/white-people-swear-they-are-oppressed-1819813320

"White People Swear They Are Oppressed"

"On Tuesday, NPR, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and the Harvard T.H. Chan
    School of Public Health released a poll looking at opinions about discrimination.
    The survey found that a majority of white respondents—55%—had felt discriminated
    [against] because they were white."

However, only 19%, 13%, and 11% of white respondents said they had been personally
    discriminated against when applying for jobs, being paid equally or considered for
    promotions, or applying to or while at college, respectively. In other words, a majority of
    white people think they are discriminated against, but only a much smaller percentage
    can think of an actual example that happened to them personally. Hmm."

"I’ll hazard a guess and say that all of these white people can’t think of a specific example of
    anti-white discrimination that happened to them because anti-white discrimination doesn’t exist.
    Donald Trump will continue to stoke this resentment to his political advantage. But this
    survey—the very answers of white people themselves—reveals how reverse racism is a lie."