1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '17 12:30
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/22/uber-ban-london-safety

I reckon Uber just is not "safe" enough so it was banned in the UK.

I can't say I blame them. I mean, about 100 people a day die in the US from unsafe Uber.......or was that from opiate abuse?

It's so hard to keep straight.

How dare the little guy try to rise up and make a buck or two. Screw Uber! 😠
  2. Germany
    Moves
    24 Sep '17 12:51
    Originally posted by @whodey
    How dare the little guy try to rise up and make a buck or two. Screw Uber! 😠
    Unlike the top hat-wearing aristocratic cab drivers working for traditional taxi companies, sitting behind the wheel sipping their tea, while disdainfully dismissing the common man.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    24 Sep '17 13:171 edit
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Unlike the top hat-wearing aristocratic cab drivers working for traditional taxi companies, sitting behind the wheel sipping their tea, while disdainfully dismissing the common man.
    You have to be pretty disgusting to fail the minimalist neoliberal requirements to operate a business in the UK. Uber will just have to pay their Tory backers a bit more to resume operations.

Plenty of cab firms want drivers and offer them decent conditions, protect their customers from abuse, while also enabling their founders to build an honest, tax paying business. This is nothing to do with preventing drivers or small firms from making a living and everything to do with preventing a multinational from wrecking the market, using technology to build a monopolistic market position, evading taxation and social responsibilities and removing protections from both drivers and customers.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '17 16:50
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    You have to be pretty disgusting to fail the minimalist neoliberal requirements to operate a business in the UK. Uber will just have to pay their Tory backers a bit more to resume operations.

Plenty of cab firms want drivers and offer them decent conditions, protect their customers from abuse, while also enabling their founders to build an honest, t ...[text shortened]... g taxation and social responsibilities and removing protections from both drivers and customers.
    I'm sorry, what abuse are you referring to?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '17 17:00
    Would uber drivers in London need to pass the taxi driver test?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree