Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 08 Jun '11 03:45 / 5 edits
    I started a thread in the science forum about someone using google mars to find what appears to be a structure of some kind that has yet to be explained fully to me. I don't wish to rehash the validity of the photo, rather, I would instead like to visit the thought of what would happen if NASA came out and said it was legit.

What would be the world's reaction?

Of course, if no one from earth owned up to putting it there, those on earth would have to assume it was "first contact" with other life forms, even if they are no longer living there. My guess is that it would galvanize a world wide movement to go to the Red Planet. The question would not be if men should be sent to Mars but when. I would also guess that the world would be brought closer together, something that we are in desperate need of. I hearken back to the 9/11 attack in the states. For a while, America seemed to come together a bit and I think the same could happen in a world wide fashion in relation to the Mars structure. We might be compelled to lay aside our petty self interest for a second or two and stop and realize that there is something much greater in the vast universe we live in than all the crap we spew at each other on a daily basis. Personally, I think it would be an incredibaly healthy exercise for mankind to be forced to look at his existence through a much broader lense.

What say you?
  2. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    08 Jun '11 05:01
    Originally posted by whodey
    Personally, I think it would be an incredibaly healthy exercise for mankind to be forced to look at his existence through a much broader lense.
    Part of me wants to agree.

Part of me wants to think it's a waste of time, money, and energy to travel to Mars when thousands of people die from disease and war on a daily basis.

Maybe over the next century or two, we'll get our act together and improve our technology enough to do so, but until then I'm hesitant.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    08 Jun '11 05:09 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by wittywonka

Part of me wants to think it's a waste ...
    Well maybe whodey agrees with you.

In the not so distant past, whodey was vehemently against NASA being used to promote "the world [being] brought closer together" because it's "something that we are in desperate need of" when the agency was being asked to enhance its international public relations and outreach role on behalf of America. Now here we are, whodey is in favour of NASA being used to promote "the world [being] brought closer together" because it's "something that we are in desperate need of".
  4. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    08 Jun '11 06:06
    It's not first contact.
    You ain't invited to dinner if you just walk into an empty building either.
  5. 08 Jun '11 13:07 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well maybe whodey agrees with you.

In the not so distant past, whodey was vehemently against NASA being used to promote "the world [being] brought closer together" because it's "something that we are in desperate need of" when the agency was being asked to enhance its international public relations and outreach role on behalf of America. Now here we are, whod g] brought closer together" because it's "something that we are in desperate need of".
    NASA is suppose to be a space agency, not a dimpolatic outreach to Muslims. You might as well turn the State Department into a space agecy if you agree with this type of thinking.

BTW, no amount of double speak can bring peace into the world, however, first contact may help the cause.

Of course, you will probably have countries like Iran say that these are fabrications and the West is trying to sell us a bill of goods. After all, some don't believe we went to the moon either.
  6. 08 Jun '11 13:15 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by wittywonka

Part of me wants to think it's a waste of time, money, and energy to travel to Mars when thousands of people die from disease and war on a daily basis.

Maybe over the next century or two, we'll get our act together and improve our technology enough to do so, but until then I'm hesitant.
    The poor and diseased will be here until man goes way of the dodo. So the question becomes, should mankind abandon space exploration in the name of focusing on helping the poor?

One thing to consider is that all the poverty on earth could be directly related to our narcissism and self interest. I have always said, its not that there is not enough to go around, its that the nature of mankind is depraved. Clearly a finding such as this would put a dent in such a narrow focus to life. Perhaps we would begin to think of ourselves as being from the same race rather than "infidel-like" aliens who don't share our religion or politics or social rank etc.
  7. 08 Jun '11 13:16
    Mankind can very easily solve poverty and explore space.
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    08 Jun '11 13:17 / 1 edit
    NASA is suppose to be a space agency, not a dimpolatic outreach to Muslims. You might as well turn the State Department into a space agecy if you agree with this type of thinking.
    NASA is a beacon of scientific endeavour and American spirit and achievement. It's a perfect ambassador for can-do Americanism in a fractured and too often anti-modernism world. It fosters and feeds off excellence. It represents clearer and more life affirming aspirations than does the mire of victimhood, reactionary and backward cultures that America should be reaching out to - through science, through dreams enabled by technology, through academic ambition. Quite frankly, whodey, you come across as too wretchedly partisan and too small-minded to be proposing gestures, symbols or deeds that 'would bring the world closer together'.
  9. 08 Jun '11 13:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]NASA is a beacon of scientific endeavour and American spirit and achievement. It's a perfect ambassador for can-do Americanism in a fractured and too often anti-modernism world. It fosters and feeds off excellence.
    .....as they end the Space Shuttle program to become ambassadors to Muslims.
  10. 08 Jun '11 13:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    . It represents clearer and more life affirming aspirations than does the mire of victimhood, reactionary and backward cultures that America should be reaching out to - through science, through dreams enabled by technology, through academic ambition. Quite frankly, whodey, you come across as to wretchedly partisan and too small-minded to be proposing gestures, symbols or deeds that 'would bring the world closer together'.[/b]
    I hate to be the one to tell ya this, but the technology on the Shuttle was obsolete upon its first launch. I know an engineer who worked on it and trust me, it was a bureaucratic nightmare to get things done there.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    08 Jun '11 13:20
    .....as they end the Space Shuttle program to become ambassadors to Muslims.
    When did they do this? It's quite a claim. Can you back it up?
  12. 08 Jun '11 13:21
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Mankind can very easily solve poverty and explore space.
    I don't know about the "easily" part but agree nonetheless. If it is "easy" then its not easy enough apparently.
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    08 Jun '11 13:21
    I hate to be the one to tell ya this, but the technology on the Shuttle was obsolete upon its first launch. I know an engineer who worked on it and trust me, it was a bureaucratic nightmare to get things done there.
    So NASA is a nightmare and obselete...? And yet you want it to set its sights on Mars? Make up your mind.
  14. 08 Jun '11 13:34
    I don't know about the "easily" part but agree nonetheless. If it is "easy" then its not easy enough apparently.
    Well, there are already various places where poverty has been all but eradicated. The others just have to emulate them.
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    08 Jun '11 13:38 / 1 edit
    Perhaps we would begin to think of ourselves as being from the same race rather than "infidel-like" aliens who don't share our religion or politics or social rank etc.
    You seem awfully hostile to America reaching out to the Muslim world for someone who claims to want to draw Americans "closer together" with those "who don't share [your] religion or politics or social rank".