Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberbadradger
    Scallywag
    the pie shop
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 17:14
    putting back tomorrows vote, she is a dead woman walking.
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 17:491 edit
    @badradger said
    The thing with Theresa is that she's been negotiating in her own little bubble. People have been telling her that the backstop simply will not fly for months on end, yet has she pressed on and on without listening, letting her Whitehall mandarin Oliver Robbins do a deal that hadn't a snowball's chance in hell of getting through the HoC.

I am not sure what delaying the vote does for her, considering that opposition to her "deal" is crystallizing, not softening. We are in the dying days of her premiership. It seems that she is now acting out of self-interest to prolong the inevitable demise of her career.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 20:29
    @ashiitaka said
    The thing with Theresa is that she's been negotiating in her own little bubble. People have been telling her that the backstop simply will not fly for months on end, yet has she pressed on and on without listening, letting her Whitehall mandarin Oliver Robbins do a deal that hadn't a snowball's chance in hell of getting through the HoC.

I am not sure what delaying the v ...[text shortened]... It seems that she is now acting out of self-interest to prolong the inevitable demise of her career.
    It gives her time to go back to the European Union to see if they'll alter their position. as the news article said. See the first line.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46509288
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 20:481 edit
    @deepthought said
    It gives her time to go back to the European Union to see if they'll alter their position. as the news article said. See the first line.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46509288
    They won't alter their position. She's kicking the can down the road.
  5. Stargazing
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 20:57
    @badradger said
    She might be a few things but she is certainly not a bottler, she’s a tough determined woman with a pack of wolves after her.

She’s just wrong.
  6. Stargazing
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 21:00
    @ashiitaka said
    They won't alter their position. She's kicking the can down the road.
    What’s your bet; article 50 revoked, May’s plan accepted with “assurances” (LOL), leadership challenge and hard brexit, general election and same scenarios but with the Trotskyite in charge?
  7. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 21:041 edit
    @divegeester said
    What’s your bet; article 50 revoked, May’s plan accepted with “assurances” (LOL), leadership challenge and hard brexit, general election and same scenarios but with the Trotskyite in charge?
    My bet is: Theresa won't last much longer, whether that's because of a leadership challenge, no-confidence motion or just resignation. As for next Tory leader, I'm not sure.

There will be no deal. My position on that hasn't changed.
  8. Stargazing
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 21:06
    @ashiitaka said
    My bet is: Theresa won't last much longer, whether that's because of a leadership challenge, no-confidence motion or just resignation. As for next Tory leader, I'm not sure.

There will be no deal. My position on that hasn't changed.
    No deal should have been our starting point in the negotiations.

What happens at the Irish border in those circumstances: does the ROI get some money to build a wall?
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 21:08
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/10/theresa-may-cowardly-blunder-brexit-second-referendum

"Theresa May’s cowardly blunder may have saved us from Brexit
    A second referendum is now the only way out of this car crash."
    --Polly Toynbee
  10. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 21:08
    @badradger said
    This may be true, but I'd trade Theresa May for the loon in our White House anytime!
  11. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 21:11
    @divegeester said
    No deal should have been our starting point in the negotiations.

What happens at the Irish border in those circumstances: does the ROI get some money to build a wall?
    Theresa finds herself in this position because she gave the impression that she wanted a deal at any cost, allowing them to walk all over her. She tried to cosy up to the EU. She hasn't learned from the mistakes of her predecessors: being nice with them doesn't work. Look how they humiliated Cameron, multiple times over. Mrs Thatcher, on the other hand, struck fear in Eurocrats' hearts across the continent.

Britain will probably refuse to enforce her side of the NI border. Ireland will probably enforce it at the request of the EU, to stop goods flowing tariff-free into it.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 21:11
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/10/no-deal-brexit-theresa-may

"A no-deal Brexit would be the deranged action of a rogue state.
    This poisonous idea must be taken off the table. Theresa May’s irresponsibility is unforgivable."
    --Rafael Behr
  13. Stargazing
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 21:14
    @duchess64 said
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/10/theresa-may-cowardly-blunder-brexit-second-referendum

"Theresa May’s cowardly blunder may have saved us from Brexit
    A second referendum is now the only way out of this car crash."
    --Polly Toynbee
    Shows how much she knows, there’s at least 3 different scenarios, probably more.
  14. Stargazing
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 21:14
    @duchess64 said
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/10/no-deal-brexit-theresa-may

"A no-deal Brexit would be the deranged action of a rogue state.
    This poisonous idea must be taken off the table. Theresa May’s irresponsibility is unforgivable."
    --Rafael Behr
    Do you have shares in the guardian?
  15. Stargazing
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 21:16
    @ashiitaka said
    Britain will probably refuse to enforce her side of the NI border. Ireland will probably enforce it at the request of the EU, to stop goods flowing tariff-free into it.
    And France will have to pay for it!
    Sorry that thought amuses me.