Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 25 Oct '12 17:40
    A public consultation has been launched to discuss the ethics of using three people to create one baby.

The technique could be used to prevent debilitating and fatal "mitochondrial" diseases, which are passed down only from mother to child.

However, the resulting baby would contain genetic information from three people - two parents and a donor woman.

Ministers could change the law to make the technique legal after the results of the consultation are known.

"............................"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19597856

Why not ? Anything goes ? What is your view on this bio-ethical question ?
  2. 29 Oct '12 21:25
    No views at all .... people simply let it happen. They lay out the red carpet for the bio-technological complex ...
  3. 29 Oct '12 21:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    No views at all .... people simply let it happen. They lay out the red carpet for the bio-technological complex ...
    Maybe it would help if you were to outline why you think it is a bioethical question.

Edit: I read the article and see what it has to say about ethical questions but you may have a position on it and your views could trigger discussion.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    29 Oct '12 21:39
    A public consultation has been launched to discuss the ethics of using three people to create one baby.

The technique could be used to prevent debilitating and fatal "mitochondrial" diseases, which are passed down only from mother to child.

However, the resulting baby would contain genetic information from three people - two parents and a donor woman. ...[text shortened]... **************

Why not ? Anything goes ? What is your view on this bio-ethical question ?
    Don't see the problem unless you feel preventing "debilitating and fatal "mitochondrial" diseases" is a "bad" thing (I don't).
  5. 29 Oct '12 21:48 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Maybe it would help if you were to outline why you think it is a bioethical question.
    bi·o·eth·ics (b-thks)n. (used with a sing. verb)

The study of the ethical and moral implications of new biological discoveries and biomedical advances, as in the fields of genetic engineering and drug research.

bioethics [ˌbaɪəʊˈɛθɪks]
    n
    (Philosophy) (functioning as singular) the study of ethical problems arising from biological research and its applications in such fields as organ transplantation, genetic engineering, or artificial insemination.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bioethical

Bioethics is the study of controversial ethics brought about by advances in biology and medicine. Bioethicists are concerned with the ethical questions that arise in the relationships among life sciences, biotechnology, medicine, politics, law, and philosophy. It also includes the study of the more commonplace questions of values ("the ethics of the ordinary" ) which arise in primary care and other branches of medicine.

Contents
    [hide] 1 History 1.1 Terminology

2 Development of an interdisciplinary field
    3 Purpose and scope
    4 Principles
    5 Medical ethics
    6 Perspectives and methodology
    7 Issues
    8 See also
    9 References
    10 Further reading 10.1 General bioethics
    10.2 Christian bioethics
    10.3 Jewish bioethics
    10.4 Muslim bioethics
    10.5 Buddhist bioethics
    10.6 Hindu bioethics

11 External links

"..................................................... "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioethics

Presidential Commision for the study of bioethical issues:

http://www.bioethics.gov/
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    29 Oct '12 21:54

The study of the ethical and moral implications of new biological discoveries and biomedical advances, as in the fields of genetic engineering and drug research.

bioethics [ˌbaɪəʊˈɛθɪks]
    n
    (Philosophy) (functioning as singular) the study of ethical problems ari ...[text shortened]...

Why do YOU think there is a bio-ethical question here?
  7. 29 Oct '12 21:56

bioethics [ˌbaɪəʊˈɛθɪks]
    n
    (Philosophy) (functioning as singular) the study of ethical problems ari ...[text shortened]...

Yes, I know about that.

So is the debate topic you have in mind "Mitochondria donation is a bioethical issue: why or why not?"

Or is it "Mitochondria donation is ethically unacceptable: why or why not?"

IOW it looks like you need to state a position on something, to provoke replies.
  8. 30 Oct '12 01:29
    I'm sure persons have many views on this. But, of course, no one is eager to jump into this discussion because you have failed to demonstrate that you can frame such a discussion responsibly. Like the others, I have nothing to say to you here at this point.
  9. 30 Oct '12 13:44
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Why do YOU think there is a bio-ethical question here?
    I'll jump in, I'm sure you've been holding your breath waiting for my opinion anyway. Obviously not many will be opposed to preventing awful diseases, it's the implications of the procedure for future use. Should these parents also be able to choose the baby's eye color, or sex? What about intelligence or athletic capability? How much longer until people are shopping for a genetic profile for their baby?

Also, I can see a problem with availability of such procedures for the poor. I'm guessing this procedure is not cheap.
  10. 30 Oct '12 17:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by dryhump
    I'll jump in, I'm sure you've been holding your breath waiting for my opinion anyway. Obviously not many will be opposed to preventing awful diseases, it's the implications of the procedure for future use. Should these parents also be able to choose the baby's eye color, or sex? What about intelligence or athletic capability? How much longer until people a ...[text shortened]... h availability of such procedures for the poor. I'm guessing this procedure is not cheap.
    The slippery slope goes both ways. Shopping for a genetic profile is nothing new. It's been right up there with shopping for a financial profile, throughout history. Just check out any on-line dating service. So if mitochondria donation is outlawed, what's to keep choosing your spouse based on looks and financial stability, from being outlawed?

Edit: Ivanhoe, is this the ethical problem you had in mind?