Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 04 Dec '09 00:29
    Jason Whitlock makes an interestng claim. He believes that the venom pointed at Tiger is based on the fact that he is a black man who scorned a beautiful white woman.

Whitlock believes that this is the OJ factor coming to life in 2009.

I think that there is some truth to what he is saying.
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Dec '09 00:37
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Jason Whitlock makes an interestng claim. He believes that the venom pointed at Tiger is based on the fact that he is a black man who scorned a beautiful white woman.

Anything's possible, of course. But I think that to make that claim without any supporting evidence is absurd and irresponsible.

Does he have a control; a white player who's been through a similar incident and didn't get the same treatment? Does he explain the basis for this "claim"? (BTW, it's not a "claim." It's a guess.) Or is it just an mindless knee-jerk reaction based on a desire to inject race into absolutely everything?

My next question is: What venom? Cite me 3 examples.
  3. 04 Dec '09 01:19
    Originally posted by sh76
    Anything's possible, of course. But I think that to make that claim without any supporting evidence is absurd and irresponsible.

Does he have a control; a white player who's been through a similar incident and didn't get the same treatment? Does he explain the basis for this "claim"? (BTW, it's not a "claim." It's a guess.) Or is it just an mindless knee-jer ...[text shortened]... ace into absolutely everything?

I'm with you. We've certainly run a number of white politicians, for example, to the ground for this. Remember the guy who was with his girlfriend in Peru or something? How about Charlie Sheen and the prostitute, or Pee Wee Herman and his hand? Michael Phelps and his bong? If he got caught having the same old boring affair, it'd probably barely register. The accident and broken car window(s) and golf club imagery make it more interesting and briefly newsworthy.

This, too, shall pass.
  4. 04 Dec '09 02:02

Does he have a control; a white player who's been through a similar incident and didn't get the same treatment? Does he explain the basis for this "claim"? (BTW, it's not a "claim." It's a guess.) Or is it just an mindless knee-jer ...[text shortened]... ace into absolutely everything?

As for white 'players', maybe be Ben Rothlesberg.

He said this on the Dan Patrick show - Whitlock also touched on something he wanted to be very careful about. He said he hasn't thought it through, but this feels familiar. "Some of this smells like 'Don't you be O.J.,'" Whitlock said. Whitlock feels that some people may see this as a betrayal after they accepted Tiger marrying a white, blonde woman
  5. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    04 Dec '09 02:08

Tiger Woods is just another rich guy that thought he could get away with having sex with other women behind his wifes back. Stop playing the race card, it sounds silly!
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Dec '09 02:11

He said this on the Dan Patrick show - Whitlock also touched on something he wanted to be very careful about. He said he hasn't thought it through, but this feels familiar. "Some of this smells like 'Don't you be O.J.,'" Whitlock said. Whitlock feels that some people may see this as a betrayal after they accepted Tiger marrying a white, blonde woman
    I don't see why anyone would think to compare Tiger, who's basically been a model citizen and who is now shown to have committed adultery (big deal?) and gotten into a minor scuffle with his wife on his own property to OJ Simpson, who, even before he brutally murdered his ex-wife and another person, had a long record of domestic abuse.

The comparison is so contrived and so inherently ridiculous what it makes me wonder why Whitlock feels it necessary to even bring up this comparison.
  7. 04 Dec '09 02:16
    Originally posted by bill718
    Tiger Woods is just another rich guy that thought he could get away with having sex with other women behind his wifes back. Stop playing the race card, it sounds silly!
    I just heard the man on the radio and found it radical enough to toss out here.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Dec '09 02:20
    I just heard the man on the radio and found it radical enough to toss out here.
    You also said that you "think that there is some truth to what he is saying."
  9. 04 Dec '09 16:00

I do think this is a worthless story. Just imagine he wasn't famous.

Headlines everywhere: Rich Golfer Cheats on Wife

Wow, really? This is huge!
  10. 04 Dec '09 16:21

I find it somewhat refreshing that there are those out their who scorn such behavior. This behavoir leads to many of socieities ills, however, most just shrugg their shoulders and say big deal.

I think the scorn has to do with his once squeeky clean image. Now he is a "bad boy". I just wonder if it will cost him endorsement oppurtunities.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    04 Dec '09 23:40
    Originally posted by bill718
    Yep. That's it right there!
  12. Standard member monster truck
    Walleye Guy
    05 Dec '09 11:55

Rather than 'think it through', I too prefer to base my opinions and actions on how I 'feel'. Way more fun!

:leaves to bang mistress:
  13. 05 Dec '09 12:17
    You also said that you "think that there is some truth to what he is saying."
    Of course. There are those who become more bitter when a black man somehow harms a white woman.
  14. Standard member monster truck
    Walleye Guy
    05 Dec '09 13:35
    Of course. There are those who become more bitter when a black man somehow harms a white woman.
    ...and then there are those who think it's unacceptable for a partner to cheat on a spouse regardless of color.

Isn't it more likely the bigots would be overjoyed at Tiger's fall from grace rather than infuriated at his immorality?
  15. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    05 Dec '09 14:22 / 1 edit

Guess there is some truth in what you're saying.

Example:

Thread 122278

uzless:
    Wow, who would have thought a black man would end up leaving his family to bang some other women?