Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    05 Jun '11 15:27 / 1 edit
    "To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries."

    ~ Aldous Huxley

    Are there any germs of truth in this that might contribute to more toleration and accommodation in international relations - and less dogmatism and chest beating?
  2. 05 Jun '11 15:31
    There is probably a core of truth in this statement. For one thing I know the reputation of the Netherlands abroad has little resemblance with reality.
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    05 Jun '11 15:32
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    There is probably a core of truth in this statement. For one thing I know the reputation of the Netherlands abroad has little resemblance with reality.
    We all know you're a bunch of stoners in wooden shoes. Don't lie!
  4. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    05 Jun '11 15:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    more toleration and accommodation in international relations
    Of course; surely stereotypes are confounded by ignorance.
  5. 05 Jun '11 16:02
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    There is probably a core of truth in this statement. For one thing I know the reputation of the Netherlands abroad has little resemblance with reality.
    What IS the Netherlands reputation abroad?
    Or what do you think it is?
  6. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    05 Jun '11 16:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]"To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries."

    ~ Aldous Huxley

    Are there any germs of truth in this that might contribute to more toleration and accommodation in international relations - and less dogmatism and chest beating?[/b]
    I don't think tourism is enough. I think you have to live in a place for awhile to truly comprehend how little you understand how other people think.
  7. 05 Jun '11 16:11
    Originally posted by Zapp Brannigan
    What IS the Netherlands reputation abroad?
    Or what do you think it is?
    Depends on who you are talking to, obviously. To some, a godforsaken place where everyone uses drugs and visits prostitutes daily, that is if they are not walking through tulip fields on wooden shoes (yes, I have encountered people who actually thought people walk on wooden shoes).
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    05 Jun '11 16:17
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Depends on who you are talking to, obviously. To some, a godforsaken place where everyone uses drugs and visits prostitutes daily, that is if they are not walking through tulip fields on wooden shoes (yes, I have encountered people who actually thought people walk on wooden shoes).
    Oops, forgot the tulips and the hoes.

    Also, you use little boys to plug leaks in your dikes.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    05 Jun '11 16:22
    Originally posted by Zapp Brannigan
    What IS the Netherlands reputation abroad?
    Or what do you think it is?
    Broadly speaking, Indonesians root for the Netherlands soccer team despite the two nations' history.
  10. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    05 Jun '11 16:31 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Zapp Brannigan
    What IS the Netherlands reputation abroad?
    Or what do you think it is?
    Generally practical rather than idealistic. Stubborn but tempered with high levels of 'Do what you want, I couldn't give a dam.' Good sense of humor. Unpretentious.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    05 Jun '11 16:32
    They can't make up their minds on what their name is. Netherlands? Holland? Dutch?
  12. 05 Jun '11 17:37 / 1 edit
    Did anyone from here just do a Google search "where does the word Dutch come from?"? After reading this thread I wanted to Google just that but after typing "where does the" Google already finished my question (... word Dutch come from). Or is Google probing our brains these days to try and find out what questions we might have?
  13. 05 Jun '11 17:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]"To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries."

    ~ Aldous Huxley

    Are there any germs of truth in this that might contribute to more toleration and accommodation in international relations - and less dogmatism and chest beating?[/b]
    Stereotypes, while obviously presenting a generalization, tend to be grounded on some truth. I have found that some stereotypes about both europe and latin america are not entirely unfounded.

    Having said that, I sincerely believe traveling does broaden the mind.
  14. 05 Jun '11 17:37 / 1 edit
    Double post.
  15. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    05 Jun '11 18:12
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    I have found that some stereotypes about both europe and latin america are not entirely unfounded.
    Out of curiosity, I'd ask, which ones?