Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 15 Nov '12 04:43
    Top 10 Best (and Worst) Educated States, and How They Voted

Best Educated (% over age 25 with college degrees)
    39.1% 1. Massachusetts (Obama)
    36.9% 2. Maryland (Obama)
    36.7% 3. Colorado (Obama)
    36.2% 4. Connecticut (Obama)
    35.4% 5. Vermont (Obama)
    35.3% 6. New Jersey (Obama)
    35.1% 7. Virginia (Obama)
    33.4% 8. New Hampshire (Obama)
    32.9% 9. New York (Obama)
    32.4% 10. Minnesota (Obama)

Worst Educated (% over age 25 with college degrees)
    18.5% 1. West Virginia (Romney)
    19.8% 2. Mississippi (Romney)
    20.3% 3. Arkansas (Romney)
    21.1% 4. Kentucky (Romney)
    21.1% 5. Louisiana (Romney)
    22.3% 6. Alabama (Romney)
    22.5% 7. Nevada (Obama)
    23.0% 8. Indiana (Romney)
    23.6% 9. Tennessee (Romney)
    23.8% 10. Oklahoma (Romney)

http://www.happyplace.com/19076/election-infographic-shows-most-educated-states-voted-for-obama
  2. Standard member vivify
    rain
    15 Nov '12 04:52
    Surprise, surprise...the party that believes in creationism has the less educated states voting for them.
  3. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    15 Nov '12 06:28 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by moon1969

35.4% 5. Vermont (Obama)
    32.9% 9. New ...[text shortened]...
    http://www.happyplace.com/19076/election-infographic-shows-most-educated-states-voted-for-obama
    Yeah but see, all those states are Libretard states, where college students are encouraged to study subjects like Black/Hispanic/Women's/I-am-a-professional-victim Studies. Most of them didn't go to college to study anything real, productive, or contributive, like say...engineering. Like I did. All they learned in college was how white males have exploited them their whole lives. A four year degree in "some motherf***er took mine."

So you see, your statistics, like most statistics, are misleading.
  4. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    15 Nov '12 08:52
    Here's the statistics on science and engineering by state, if anyone wants to do their own research:
    http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind12/c8/interactive/map.cfm?table=17

The map doesn't look a lot like the electoral map, but those of you who are interested in the truth of earlier posts may want to match up these statistics with their voting patterns.
  5. 15 Nov '12 09:08
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Here's the statistics on science and engineering by state, if anyone wants to do their own research:
    http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind12/c8/interactive/map.cfm?table=17
    That is the stats on degrees conferred, not degrees held. Not quite the same thing.
  6. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    15 Nov '12 11:38
    I was trying for a group which could be fairly matched against the same group in other states. The basic degree level would be similar across the board, I think.
  7. 15 Nov '12 12:09
    Originally posted by moon1969

35.4% 5. Vermont (Obama)
    32.9% 9. New ...[text shortened]...
    So you're telling me that the president hates poor people? The president didn't campaign hard in any of the states that you mentioned. Guess what, those states are some of the poorest in the union.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income
    Perhaps you're merely confirming what many have suspected, that only rich elitists voted for the president. Because the states in the top half of your stats are some of the richest ones in the union as you can also see on the wiki.

So the lesson we've learned here is that the rich support the president and the poor can suck it.
  8. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    15 Nov '12 13:02
    Originally posted by dryhump
    So you're telling me that the president hates poor people? The president didn't campaign hard in any of the states that you mentioned. Guess what, those states are some of the poorest in the union..........
    So the lesson we've learned here is that the rich support the president and the poor can suck it.
    So the rich educated folk who voted for Obama are also the ones most willing to pay more taxes to support the poor uneducated white folk who voted for anyone but Obama. Kaching! Now I've got it!
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    15 Nov '12 13:46 / 1 edit
    So you're telling me that the president hates poor people? The president didn't campaign hard in any of the states that you mentioned. Guess what, those states are some of the poorest in the union.
    Perhaps you're merely confirming what many have suspected, that only rich elitists voted for the pre ...[text shortened]... e lesson we've learned here is that the rich support the president and the poor can suck it.
    Bingo! Dryhump nailed it.

When black people vote for Obama, all we hear is that Republicans must be racist and must not do enough to reach out to black people. But when the disadvantaged in terms of education and (therefore) wealth vote for Romney it's because they're stupid. Got it.
  10. 15 Nov '12 14:24
    Perhaps you're merely confirming what many have suspected, that only rich elitists voted for the pre ...[text shortened]... e lesson we've learned here is that the rich support the president and the poor can suck it.
    LOL.

We have actually learned much more than that. We have learned that there is a correlation between "education" and political leanings. Just what are kids learning in schools today?
  11. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    15 Nov '12 14:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    We have actually learned much more than that. We have learned that there is a correlation between "education" and political leanings. Just what are kids learning in schools today?
    I know that was a comment not a question, but........

The educated are learning that strong decent societies only eventuate when the playing field starts being levelled, and opportunity is spread to all sectors and the gap between the haves and have nots is as small as possible. This type of society needs very little external regulation.

Quality of life can only be appreciated when you're not looking over your shoulder to protect everything you've got from the hungry and dispossessed who are so far below your standard of living, that they've long stopped respecting your effort in accumalating your pile of things, and its not wonder that if you have a lot, you'll end up either carrying a gun, or living behind the fence of a gated community.
  12. 15 Nov '12 16:06
    Originally posted by sh76
    Bingo! Dryhump nailed it.

When black people vote for Obama, all we hear is that Republicans must be racist and must not do enough to reach out to black people. But when the disadvantaged in terms of education and (therefore) wealth vote for Romney it's because they're stupid. Got it.
    I will never make broad sweeping statements like saying 'Republicans are racist,' but between the Conservative media and some elected GOP officials at the state and federal level, Republics have a huge problem with putting rhetoric out there that is insulting to women and minorities.

As for only rich elitists voting for Obama, that's demonstrably false.
  13. 15 Nov '12 16:50
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I will never make broad sweeping statements like saying 'Republicans are racist,' but between the Conservative media and some elected GOP officials at the state and federal level, Republics have a huge problem with putting rhetoric out there that is insulting to women and minorities.

As for only rich elitists voting for Obama, that's demonstrably false.
    What political figure said this?

"Obama is a light skinned and without a negro dialect".

I'll give you a hint, no Republican has come close to saying anything like that.
  14. 15 Nov '12 16:52
    Originally posted by kmax87
    I know that was a comment not a question, but........

The educated are learning that strong decent societies only eventuate when the playing field starts being levelled, and opportunity is spread to all sectors and the gap between the haves and have nots is as small as possible. This type of society needs very little external regulation.

Quality of lif ...[text shortened]... a lot, you'll end up either carrying a gun, or living behind the fence of a gated community.
    So according to your world view, all that is needed to make mankind more "righteous" is to "even the playing field"?

The United States has all the wealth in the world but is also one of the most violent.

Go figure.
  15. 15 Nov '12 16:59
    Originally posted by whodey
    So according to your world view, all that is needed to make mankind more "righteous" is to "even the playing field"?

The United States has all the wealth in the world but is also one of the most violent.

Go figure.
    Violent crime is strongly correlated to wealth inequality.