Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 23 Nov '16 03:32
    I would like to discuss how Trump used the media to get elected. Trump once said, "I'm not running against crooked Hillary Clinton. I'm running against the crooked media. That's what I'm running against."

Throughout his campaign, the media has attacked Trump as not a serious candidate, a clown, a racist bigot, a woman hater, someone who is unqualified to be President. And the more they covered Trump the more their ratings increased and the more their ratings increased the more they covered him. As was once said, "Any media coverage is good coverage" when it comes to promoting your fame and influence.

Now that it has been revealed that the media, such as CNN, are corrupt thanks to the hacked e-mail revelations that CNN fed Hillary the debate questions before the debate, has Trump beaten the press and have then been shown to be a corrupt as he insists?
  2. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    23 Nov '16 04:43
    Originally posted by whodey
    I would like to discuss how Trump used the media to get elected. Trump once said, "I'm not running against crooked Hillary Clinton. I'm running against the crooked media. That's what I'm running against."

Throughout his campaign, the media has attacked Trump as not a serious candidate, a clown, a racist bigot, a woman hater, someone who is unqualified to ...[text shortened]... e the debate, has Trump beaten the press and have then been shown to be a corrupt as he insists?
    I would hope they would now clean up their act?
    Nah... probably not.
  3. 23 Nov '16 11:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I would hope they would now clean up their act?
    Nah... probably not.
    Fix it? Does he really want to fix it?

After all, Trump fed off the "anti-establishment" sentiment. Clearly the press is looked upon as part of that. If so, their continued assaults should only help him more.

The media made Trump what he is today.

More to the point, does Trump need them with social media the way it is now?
  4. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    23 Nov '16 15:59 / 1 edit
    Fix it? Does he really want to fix it?

After all, Trump fed off the "anti-establishment" sentiment. Clearly the press is looked upon as part of that. If so, their continued assaults should only help him more.

The media made Trump what he is today.

More to the point, does Trump need them with social media the way it is now?
    Why rely on trained journalists concerned with facts when you can support
    your alt-right ideology with gross distortions, unfounded rumors and lies?
  5. 23 Nov '16 18:43
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Why rely on trained journalists concerned with facts when you can support
    your alt-right ideology with gross distortions, unfounded rumors and lies?
    You mean like reporting Hillary had a large lead all the way up until Donald was elected? Is it that kind of well trained journalism to which you are referring? Or is it giving Hillary debate questions before the debates?

This has ushered in Trump TV.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trump-tv-quietly-made-its-first-broadcast-145321398.html

I'm sure when out of office it will be another money maker for him.
  6. 23 Nov '16 21:12
    During the past several decades, a campaign has been waged against America's media by several organisations and individuals seeking to profit from its demonization. Exacerbated by the absence of well-funded public media with a neutral tone that serve as a benchmark in societies with a functional media landscape, this war on the media has been so effective that the uneducated masses in America can no longer distinguish between the various media, creating a false equivalency between "liberal" and "conservative" media that treats Wikipedia and non-partisan fact-checkers on equal footing with Breitbart and Facebook viral fake news stories.

Donald Trump is the inevitable consequence of this phenomenon.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    23 Nov '16 21:29

Throughout his campaign, the media has attacked Trump as not a serious candidate, a clown, a racist bigot, a woman hater, someone who is unqualified to ...[text shortened]... e the debate, has Trump beaten the press and have then been shown to be a corrupt as he insists?
    Well at least you have a half truth there instead of your usual complete lies; Donna Brazile, a Democrat official who was being paid as a consultant by CNN (news media of all stripes routinely do this dubious practice these days) did allegedly give a debate question to Hillary.

Insisting that shows all media or even just CNN are "corrupt" because of this is whodeyish preposterous.
  8. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    24 Nov '16 03:44

Some of what you said about the media is true, they have been pretty one sided. Trump has created some of this situation himself however by attacking so many groups of people, when the media reports this, and shows footage of these events, this is hardly biased, since he is the one doing the attacking.