Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 20:352 edits
    @kazetnagorra said
    Under the Electoral College system, it is possible to win the election with only a plurality of the vote in a small number of large states, and no votes in the other states.
    There's an even worse (although far more unlikely) scenario. One vote belonging to a person from Wyoming (the least populous state) effectively counts the same as that of 4 Californians (the most populous state). Votes in small states (by population) count for more than votes in large ones, so ignoring the large states and winning all the smallest states up until you have just over 50% of the EC is the most brutally efficient way to win the election in terms of minimizing the amount of support needed for victory. Also, you only have to win just more than 50% in each of the small states.

It's highly unlikely, but it just showcases the flaws of the EC system.
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 20:39
    @kazetnagorra said
    Under the Electoral College system, it is possible to win the election with only a plurality of the vote in a small number of large states, and no votes in the other states.
    That's obvious to me and anyone with even a minimal grasp of mathematics.

Quackquack, a hard right-wing American (who claimed to be a mathematics teacher,
    has strongly endorsed the Electoral College, regarding it as fairer than all systems.
    That shows that his political bias exceeds his (evidently feeble) grasp of mathematics.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 21:20
    @ashiitaka said
    There's an even worse (although far more unlikely) scenario. One vote belonging to a person from Wyoming (the least populous state) effectively counts the same as that of 4 Californians (the most populous state). Votes in small states (by population) count for more than votes in large ones, so ignoring the large states and winning all the smallest states up until you have j ...[text shortened]... ach of the small states.

It's highly unlikely, but it just showcases the flaws of the EC system.
    You don't even need 50% of the vote in those states - most U.S. states use a first-part-the-post system such that the candidate with the most votes gets all EC votes. In the 1992 election, Bill Clinton won the Electoral College comfortably with 370 against George Bush's 168, while winning only 43% of the popular vote and less than 24% of the votes from eligible voters!
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    26 Jun '19 11:45
    @kazetnagorra said
    You don't even need 50% of the vote in those states - most U.S. states use a first-part-the-post system such that the candidate with the most votes gets all EC votes. In the 1992 election, Bill Clinton won the Electoral College comfortably with 370 against George Bush's 168, while winning only 43% of the popular vote and less than 24% of the votes from eligible voters!
    Not a great example of the "unfairness" of the EC - Clinton did get almost 6 million more votes than Bush. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_United_States_presidential_election
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    26 Jun '19 13:21
    @kazetnagorra said
    You don't even need 50% of the vote in those states - most U.S. states use a first-part-the-post system such that the candidate with the most votes gets all EC votes.

Quite right - I forgot about third party votes.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jun '19 14:14
    @averagejoe1 said
    I regard you as smart , but maybe not 'with it'. One more time, you would have mob rule....More to the point, about 6 or 7 states would end up controlling the other 40 states. Please at least look at the facts on that, and tell us that that is kosher. Explain why, of course. Libs dont do that much. They, like you in your post, just say what you would like to happen without explanation.
    Please explain how the simple concept of "one person, one vote" translates in your deranged mind into "mob rule".
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jun '19 14:15
    @lemon-lime said
    I want the Electoral College to be sbolished.

Well good luck to you in sbolishing the Electoral College. If this time around Trump wins the popular vote (but would have lost the Electoral) we conservatives can thank you for Trump winning the election.
    Trump is never going to win the popular vote.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jun '19 14:17
    @patzering said
    It means a few states would control the elections.
    If you can't see that then you never will.
    News Flash: States don't vote.
  9. Joined
    04 Apr '19
    Moves
    26 Jun '19 14:261 edit
    trump blatantly lies about the economy, turns into a debate on the electoral college..?
    Living in a smaller state would eliminate your vote, the country would be ruled by the more populated states, and with out Texas, we could see democratic rule for many years. The founding fathers recognized this fact, and built a system of fairness into the election process. Leave it be, eliminating the electoral college, will start a war.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jun '19 14:39
    @duchess64 said
    In fact, winning a rather small minority of states in the Electoral College could mean winning the election.

The Electoral College is anti-democratic. The right-wing Americans here are too
    stupid to comprehend it or dishonest enough to keep lying about it.
    I'll go with option B, lying their pathetic asses off.
  11. Joined
    04 Apr '19
    Moves
    26 Jun '19 14:422 edits
    @duchess64 said
    That's obvious to me and anyone with even a minimal grasp of mathematics.

Quackquack, a hard right-wing American (who claimed to be a mathematics teacher,
    has strongly endorsed the Electoral College, regarding it as fairer than all systems.
    That shows that his political bias exceeds his (evidently feeble) grasp of mathematics.
    And he's absolutely right. Look at the electoral college map for the states, many would have their votes rendered useless. Why would they bother to vote, knowing full well, that three or four largely populated areas, would decide the election?
    It's not about political bias, it's about common sense and fairness.... the Founding Fathers set it up this way for that reason...
    I say this knowing full well, that the internet Troll Duch will throw every insult at anyone who chooses to disagree with her. That is something we have to live with on the internet, and social media, insults come easily.. it's just the way it is unfortunately.

"A mans a man who looks a man right between the eyes" stealing a line from C,S,&N.

Claims to be a mathematics teacher,,,, ( evidently feeble ) grasp of mathematics.

I dare say, he has a good grasp of the electoral college and the way it was meant to work, and why... it's you who are uniformed and lacking the skills to understand the system in place.
    It's somewhat astounding that you even feel there is a place for you in that debate. He's a hard right AMERICAN, you apparently don't want anyone to know your country of origin, which speaks in volumes to your character.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    26 Jun '19 15:20
    @tobias9122 said
    And he's absolutely right. Look at the electoral college map for the states, many would have their votes rendered useless.
    How could the least-weighted vote possibly have any more weight than in the case where each vote is counted equally?
  13. Joined
    04 Apr '19
    Moves
    26 Jun '19 15:471 edit
    @kazetnagorra said
    How could the least-weighted vote possibly have any more weight than in the case where each vote is counted equally?
    sorry buddy, my time frame here is short today, thus the youtube video. I hope this helps explain my own personal feelings on the electoral college.. and why it's the fair way to chose our presidents.

YouTube

YouTube

Two wolves and a lamb deciding what is for dinner.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    26 Jun '19 16:261 edit
    @tobias9122 said
    sorry buddy, my time frame here is short today, thus the youtube video. I hope this helps explain my own personal feelings on the electoral college.. and why it's the fair way to chose our presidents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXnjGD7j2B0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6s7jB6-GoU

Two wolves and a lamb deciding what is for dinner.
    Your objection that some people's "vote will be rendered useless" in a popular vote system make no sense. It is mathematically impossible for the least-weighted vote to have more weight than in a system where all votes are weighted equally; their votes are as useful as they could possibly be.
  15. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    26 Jun '19 16:55
    @patzering said
    When high ranking officials who are anti Trump start going "missing" and the army is parade marching all over the place then maybe you might be on to something.
    Nothing even close to a dictatorship takeover is happening.
    The film "8 Days in May" seems somewhat prescient these days.

History suggests that no society is completely immune to totalitarianism.