Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 16 Aug '17 19:47 / 1 edit
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/15/us/politics/trump-charlottesville-white-nationalists.html

"Trump Gives White Supremacists an Unequivocal Boost

"President Trump buoyed the white nationalist movement on Tuesday
    as no president has done in generations — equating activists protesting
    racism with the neo-Nazis and white supremacists who rampaged in
    Charlottesville, Va., over the weekend.

Never has he gone as far in defending their actions as he did during a
    wild, street-corner shouting match of a news conference in the gilded lobby
    of Trump Tower, angrily asserting that so-called alt-left activists were just as
    responsible for the bloody confrontation as marchers brandishing swastikas,
    Confederate battle flags, anti-Semitic banners and “Trump/Pence” signs.

“Thank you President Trump for your honesty & courage to tell the truth,”
    [said] David Duke, a former Ku Klux Klan leader."

"Since the 1960s, Republican politicians have made muscular appeals
    to white voters, especially those in the South, on broad cultural grounds.
    But as a rule, they have taken a hard line on the party’s racist, nativist
    and anti-Semitic fringe. Presidents Ronald Reagan, George Bush and
    George W. Bush roundly condemned white supremacists."

"During the 2016 presidential campaign, Mr. Trump attracted a
    significant following of white supremacists, expressed sympathy with
    white Southerners fighting to preserve monuments for Confederate
    icons and was slow to distance himself from racists like Mr. Duke."

It's clear enough that Donald Trump's racist heart is with the white nationalists.
    Many white Amrericans apparently find it painful to admit how racist Donald Trump really is.

Before he leaves office in 2021 (or even 2025?), will President Trump
    (who reportedly already has considered pardoning people ready to commit
    crimes on his behalf) issue pardons to any white racial supremacist murderers?
    (Such as Dylann Roof, who murdered nine black people in a church?)
    After all, Donald Trump would no longer have to worry about his popularity.
    And it's hard to think of a more emphatic way for Donald Trump to say "F...you" to
    his hated 'liberal' enemies than by pardoning some racists who would like to kill them.
  2. 16 Aug '17 20:22 / 5 edits
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/15/us/politics/trump-charlottesville-white-nationalists.html

racism with the neo-Nazis and white supremacists who rampaged i ...[text shortened]... you" to
    his hated 'liberal' enemies than by pardoning some racists who would like to kill them.
    I watched the full press conference. The President made it clear that there was violence on both sides and it was unacceptable. The idea that baseball bat wielding thugs who by design had equipped themselves with riot shields intent on violence and who charged at their protagonists were simply peaceful activists protesting against racism is FAKE NEWS and an insult to the intelligence of any sentient being. You can blame ANTIFA for giving right wing supremacists a boost.
  3. 16 Aug '17 20:41
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/charlottesville-and-the-rise-of-white-identity-politics/

"Charlottesville And The Rise Of White Identity Politics"

"Polls have found that Republicans are more likely than Democrats and the public
    overall to see whites and Christians as facing high levels of discrimination.
    Republicans, meanwhile, also perceive less discrimination towards blacks and Muslims than other Americans do."

"This strain of white identity politics, which sees white people as the group in need of special
    protection, is relatively new. In 2005, 6 percent of both Republicans and Democrats thought
    white Americans experienced “a great deal” of discrimination, according to a Pew Research
    Center survey.2 In 2016, the share of Republicans had jumped to 18 percent, while
    Democrats ticked up only slightly to 9 percent.3 Forty-nine percent of Republicans —
    compared to just 29 percent of Democrats — said whites face at least “some” discrimination."

"And the president, in repeated statements about Charlottesville, was unwilling to explicitly
    condemn “white supremacy,” a phrase used by others, including some Republicans.
    Trump has not literally used the phrase “white lives matter,” but many of his policies
    have played on white identity politics."

"But what’s clear is that we are seeing strong, overt signs of white identity politics from conservatives,
    and Trump is executing an agenda that pushes back against the identity politics of liberals...
    a kind of white identity politics is a key part of American politics and one that is aligned with Trump."
  4. 16 Aug '17 20:42
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/charlottesville-and-the-rise-of-white-identity-politics/

"Charlottesville And The Rise Of White Identity Politics"

"Polls have found that Republicans are more likely than Democrats and the public
    overall to see whites and Christians as facing high levels of discrimination.
    Republicans, meanwhile, also perceiv ...[text shortened]... white identity politics is a key part of American politics and one that is aligned with Trump."
    More FAKE NEWS, he did condemn it and even reread his statement condemning it.
  5. 16 Aug '17 20:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @robbie-carrobie
    Yes, but he is orange. Surely you are not defending someone who is orange.

Why are you not defending black people?

Racist.
  6. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    16 Aug '17 23:32

racism with the neo-Nazis and white supremacists who rampaged i ...[text shortened]... you" to

Once again Duchess tells all of us stupid people something we never knew. Thank You Duchess. We would have not known any of this if it were not for you. The depths of your wisdom are a constant source of wonder and amazement!
  7. 17 Aug '17 00:02
    Originally posted by @mchill

Once again Duchess tells all of us stupid people something we never knew. Thank You Duchess. We would have ...[text shortened]... it were not for you. The depths of your wisdom are a constant source of wonder and amazement!
    "Once again Duchess tells all of us stupid people something we never knew."
    --Mchill

The racist troll Mchill continues his obsessive campaign to silence me.

Mchill has failed to notice that some other racist writers here apparently deny that
    President Trump has given any encouragement to white racial supremacists.
  8. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    17 Aug '17 01:54
    Stop with the "FAKE NEWS" dog-whistling.
  9. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    17 Aug '17 06:05 / 1 edit
    I watched the full press conference. The President made it clear that there was violence on both sides and it was unacceptable. The idea that baseball bat wielding thugs who by design had equipped themselves with riot shields intent on violence and who charged at their protagonists were simply peaceful activists protesting against racism is FAKE N ...[text shortened]... ligence of any sentient being. You can blame ANTIFA for giving right wing supremacists a boost.
    Has someone sucked your brain out your bum with a straw or something?

There are Nazis there and people who oppose Nazis there.
    If you can't see a difference between people using violence to further the nazi cause and people using violence to stop the nazi cause, you need your moral compass recalibrated.

Also, there's a difference between wielding a stone or a gun.
    Just saying.

Look: nazi = bad, not nazi = good.
    It's a sweeping generalization, but one that is quite acceptable.

Take the Blues Brothers. There's a peaceful nazi demonstration (peaceful as in demanding Jews and blacks and what-not are less human that white people).
    One of the brothers says to the other: "Illinois Nazis, I hate Illinois Nazis."
    And they drive their car straight at them, so they have to jump off the bridge into the pond.

Perfectly acceptable (as a joke).
    Nazis driving cars into demonstrators: not funny. Pure evil.
    They are NAZIS and Nazis are bad. Not-Nazis are good.

It's really quite simple.
  10. 17 Aug '17 14:40

Who started it?

I know the white supremacists are pathetic morons, but they did have the legal right to be there. Who started the violence?
  11. 17 Aug '17 15:44
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    Who started it?

I know the white supremacists are pathetic morons, but they did have the legal right to be there. Who started the violence?
    There was one terrorist attack and it was started by the terrorist.
  12. 17 Aug '17 17:00
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Has someone sucked your brain out your bum with a straw or something?

There are Nazis there and people who oppose Nazis there.
    If you can't see a difference between people using violence to further the nazi cause and people using violence to stop the nazi cause, you need your moral compass recalibrated.

Also, there's a difference between wieldin ...[text shortened]... Pure evil.
    They are NAZIS and Nazis are bad. Not-Nazis are good.

It's really quite simple.
    Sorry I was too busy listening to Wagner and goosestepping around in my SS Uniform. You are attacking windmills. No one is claiming that the Nazis are anything than a bunch of cads.
  13. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    17 Aug '17 17:33
    Sorry I was too busy listening to Wagner and goosestepping around in my SS Uniform. You are attacking windmills. No one is claiming that the Nazis are anything than a bunch of cads.
    I actually assume you're not joking.
  14. 17 Aug '17 19:21 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @robbie-carrobie to Shavixmir
    Sorry I was too busy listening to Wagner and goosestepping around in my SS Uniform. You are attacking windmills.
    No one is claiming that the Nazis are anything than a bunch of cads.
    "No one is claiming that the Nazis are anything than a bunch of cads."
    --Robbie Carrobie

So Robbie Carrobie's harshest 'condemnation' of the Nazis is that they are 'a bunch of cads'!
    That absurdly trivializes the evil of the Nazis.

Here's the definition of 'cad' from Dictionary.com:
    "Cad: noun
    1. an ill-bred man, especially one who behaves in a dishonorable or irresponsible way toward women."

Now I may use the term 'cad' to describe a man who selfishly lies to a woman in a dating situation.
    Or a man who seduces and impregnates a woman and then breaks his promise to marry her.
    Or a man who writes a 'tell-all' memoir about his affair with a woman, leaking all the juicy intimate details.

I would not use the term 'cad' to describe a rapist; his crime is much worse than 'caddish' misbehavior.
    And I certainly would not use the term 'cad' to describe anyone responsible for racist genocide.

Robbie Carrobie keeps showing that he's an apologist for racists, white supremacists, and even the Nazis.
  15. 17 Aug '17 19:48 / 3 edits
    "No one is claiming that the Nazis are anything than a bunch of cads."
    --Robbie Carrobie

So Robbie Carrobie's harshest 'condemnation' of the Nazis is that they are 'a bunch of cads'!
    That absurdly trivializes the evil of the Nazis.

Here's the definition of 'cad' from Dictionary.com:
    "Cad: noun
    1. an ill-bred man, especially one who behaves in ...[text shortened]... rrobie keeps showing that he's an apologist for racists, white supremacists, and even the Nazis.
    There comes a point when your futile attempts to vilify others simply becomes a meaningless expression of your own inability to grapple with real issues and assail the logic of other contributors. How can I phrase it in terms that you will understand? Its impuissant and intellectually stifling!