Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 02:01
    Early in Trump's presidency, Trump did the following:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-signs-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

Trump signed the bill into law without a photo op or fanfare. The president welcomed cameras into the oval office Tuesday for the signing of other executive orders and bills. News that the president signed the bill was tucked at the bottom of a White House email alerting press to other legislation signed by the president.

The National Rifle Association “applauded” Trump’s action. Chris Cox, NRA-ILA executive director, said the move “marks a new era for law-abiding gun owners, as we now have a president who respects and supports our arms.”

After the shooting in Florida, Trump tweeted this:

So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled from school for bad and erratic behavior. Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!”---Trump

I am asking this sincerely, with no intent of "gotcha" questions or the like.

Given that Trump and the Republicans always site "mental illness" as the reason for mass shootings, didn't Trump and the Republican-controlled Congress commit an evil act in rescinding an Obama-era law making it more difficult fore mentally ill people to obtain guns?

If Republicans believe mass shooters are mentally ill, why do this to your country? Haven't you made the U.S. objectively worse by allowing people you believe are the cause of mass shootings to have fewer obstacles in obtaining firearms?
  2. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 02:22
    Originally posted by @vivify

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-signs-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

[quote]
    President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

Th ...[text shortened]... eople you believe are the cause of mass shootings to have fewer obstacles in obtaining firearms?
    Republicans are owned by the NRA, the lobbying group for the manufacturers of weapons. The politicians who refuse to change gun laws in the United States and those who vote for them are as complicit in every mass murder that takes place in the U.S. With every passing season, the sick culture in the U.S seems to grow nastier.
  3. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 06:03
    This may be a little off topic, but has it been established how the killer got the weapon used in the Florida school shooting?
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 17:57
    So is there really no reply from Republicans on this? You have nothing to say for the fact that you're letting people you blame for mass shootings own guns?
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    16 Feb '18 20:31
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    This may be a little off topic, but has it been established how the killer got the weapon used in the Florida school shooting?
    Bought it in the corner shop probably.
  6. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 10:28
    Originally posted by @vivify

[quote]

Th ...[text shortened]... eople you believe are the cause of mass shootings to have fewer obstacles in obtaining firearms?
    Your point is valid but you're wasting your breath. For reasons that defy understanding Americans don't relate guns with gun related crimes. 😞
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 17:141 edit
    'The right to bear arms - Inclusion of this right in a written constitution is uncommon. In 1875, 17 percent of constitutions included a right to bear arms, yet, since the early twentieth century, "the proportion has been less than 9 percent and falling". Generally, where modern constitutions refer to arms at all, the purpose is "to allow the government to regulate their use or to compel military service, not to provide a right to bear them". At present, out of the world’s nearly 200 constitutions, three still include a right to bear arms: Guatemala, Mexico, and the United States; of these three, only the last does not include explicit restrictive conditions.'

In the UK The first serious control on firearms was established with the passing of the Firearms Act 1920. Since the passing of gun control laws, the UK has one of the lowest firearm death rates among developed nations, with 0.2 deaths per 100,000, compared to 10.2 in the U.S.' (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_keep_and_bear_arms)

Time to wake up and smell the coffee America! It's not primarily a mental health thing, it's a 'guns are easier to buy than beer' thing.
  8. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 17:23
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    https://www.nbcnews.com/video/store-which-sold-parkland-shooter-nikolas-cruz-ar-15-rifle-says-gun-law-was-followed-1163091523623
  9. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 18:04
    The problem is not the guns.
    Yeah. I know.

But Canada and Switzerland have loads of guns as well.

However, there is a link between the US gun fetish and shooting people.

And it’s summed up by the attitude: “I have the right to defend my property. And I have the right to bear arms.”

The attitude indirectly makes a few sentiments clear:
    - my property is important
    - thiefs will try to steal my property
    - my property is more important than a thief’s life
    - I am justified to quell my fear with gun ownership.

Fear and weapons never go well hand in hand.

Now, Americans also love individualism and capitalism.
    And children are reared hearing: “my property, my right to protect it, it’s alright to shoot people who are taking your property and people will always be trying to steal from you or undermine you. They have to, because it’s important to get ahead.”

This whole attitude is very negative towards group processes. And forms two very important sentiments:
    - me, myself and I
    - Others will harm me (and groups of people are per definition a danger to me, myself and I).

This is the core of the US gun problem.
    Lonely, scared people with guns.

Banning guns will lower gun-related deaths, but the core of the bahaviour problems won’t be resolved.
  10. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 18:28
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    The problem is not the guns.
    Yeah. I know.

But Canada and Switzerland have loads of guns as well.

However, there is a link between the US gun fetish and shooting people.

And it’s summed up by the attitude: “I have the right to defend my property. And I have the right to bear arms.”

The attitude indirectly makes a few sentiments clear:
    - my ...[text shortened]... ng guns will lower gun-related deaths, but the core of the bahaviour problems won’t be resolved.
    The Swiss are not allowed to have ammunition.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 19:08
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    They are, but the bullets have to be neutral and leave the gun in an impartial manner.

😞
  12. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 20:19
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    They are, but the bullets have to be neutral and leave the gun in an impartial manner.

😞
    I thought you were gping to write: the bullets had to be made out of stolen Jewish gold.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 21:01
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    That's why they invented those fancy knives.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 21:23
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    I thought you were gping to write: the bullets had to be made out of stolen Jewish gold.
    Only you sir could get away with that.