Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 12:452 edits
    His handling of the Khan situation has convinced me that he simply has zero self-control and might be an actual case of a clinical Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Say what you like about professional politicians like Barack Obama, Mitt Romney and Hillary Clinton but, whatever their failings, they have the self-discipline to shut the f up once in a while when they know that shooting their mouths off will hurt them politically. Trump seems to be simply incapable of keeping whatever stupid thought pops into his brain from flying out of his mouth/Twitter account.

It's frustrating, really. Trump is going to blow an election that a generic Republican would have had an excellent chance to win and put Hillary in the WH for 4-8 years.

If anyone wants to bet, I'm offering 2.5:1 odds.
  2. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 15:181 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    His handling of the Khan situation has convinced me that he simply has zero self-control and might be an actual case of a clinical Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Say what you like about professional politicians like Barack Obama, Mitt Romney and Hillary Clinton but, whatever their failings, they have the self-discipline to shut the f up once in a while when ...[text shortened]... win and put Hillary in the WH for 4-8 years.

If anyone wants to bet, I'm offering 2.5:1 odds.
    I agree. It's interesting that Joe Scarborough on Morning Joe show said almost exactly the same thing yesterday morning when this subject came up. I'm paraphrasing but "When it's clear you're digging a hole for yourself, STOP DIGGING" I think was the comment.

Your odds seem pretty accurate. I just hope Hillary has learned her lesson, and will handle her emails more carefully now. That was a stupid move on her part.
  3. Standard membershavixmironline
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 15:20
    I'm shocked it's taken you so long to diagnose him, when the rest of the world has known his nature since the Autumn.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 15:271 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I'm shocked it's taken you so long to diagnose him, when the rest of the world has known his nature since the Autumn.
    I thought that his antics may have been calculated to appeal to a disaffected public that is sick of the PC-police.

The problem is that he engages in this sort of nonsense even when there's almost no political capital to be won and a lot to be lost. It seems as though he simply can't help himself.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 15:32
    I thought that his antics may have been calculated to appeal to a disaffected public that is sick of the PC-police.

The problem is that he engages in this sort of nonsense even when there's almost no political capital to be won and a lot to be lost. It seems as though he simply can't help himself.
    he couldn't help himself when he mocked the disabled journalist.
    he couldn't help himself when he started talking about his penis in a presidential debate.

you people just enabled him
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    His handling of the Khan situation has convinced me that ......
    As shavixmir says, where have you been?
    The problem is that Trump has been acting that way from the very beginning and it hasn't hurt him one bit. So why are you now convinced that it will hurt him? Did you think he would grow up after the convention? Did you think it was all an act until now and he would suddenly reveal his business savy. presidential self and start shining?
    Do you honestly think any of those who have supported him until now care how he handled the Khan situation?
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    he couldn't help himself when he mocked the disabled journalist.
    he couldn't help himself when he started talking about his penis in a presidential debate.

you people just enabled him
    I never enabled him. I never supported him and I supported his opponents every step of the way.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 15:35
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    As shavixmir says, where have you been?
    The problem is that Trump has been acting that way from the very beginning and it hasn't hurt him one bit. So why are you now convinced that it will hurt him? Did you think he would grow up after the convention? Did you think it was all an act until now and he would suddenly reveal his business savy. presidential ...[text shortened]... stly think any of those who have supported him until now care how he handled the Khan situation?
    It has hurt him. In the next couple of days when the convention bounce completes itself, he's going to be down probably 7-9 points in the polls. His odds on 538 will probably revert to 20-25%.

In American politics, there are some things you just don't do and live to tell about it. Ripping the families of soldiers who died in action is one of them.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 15:37
    I never enabled him. I never supported him and I supported his opponents every step of the way.
    what use can i possible have for this information? almost half of americans (according to latest polls) are thinking of electing a maniac. why would i possible care that you are not among the imbeciles supporting him?

btw, did you support cruz? carson? those aren't better than trump, they were just more boring and didn't get enough votes. if you supported those two and not trump, don't feel too good about yourself, you are still an imbecile, you are simply an imbecile from a loser camp.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 15:382 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    what use can i possible have for this information? almost half of americans (according to latest polls) are thinking of electing a maniac. why would i possible care that you are not among the imbeciles supporting him?

btw, did you support cruz? carson? those aren't better than trump, they were just more boring and didn't get enough votes. if you suppo ...[text shortened]... oo good about yourself, you are still an imbecile, you are simply an imbecile from a loser camp.
    I supported (and voted for) Kasich, as I am on record as having done so many times on this board.

If Mike Bloomberg would have run, I'd have supported him.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 15:39
    Sorry to inform you of this but the emperor has no clothes. Trump doesn't calculate. Trump is just an example of how money makes the man. Everybody thinks that Trump is a particular way because he has money. If a typical Trump speech was shown to you and you were told the speaker was a homeless person you would have a completely different view of him and his personality. Even I started off the presidential campaign thinking he was putting on a show, but watching a speech or two destroyed the illusion completely.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 15:39
    I supported Kasich, as I am on record as having done so many times on this board.

If Mike Bloomberg would have run, I'd have supported him.
    yeh he is decent.
  13. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 15:40
    It has hurt him. In the next couple of days when the convention bounce completes itself, he's going to be down probably 7-9 points in the polls. His odds on 538 will probably revert to 20-25%.

In American politics, there are some things you just don't do and live to tell about it. Ripping the families of soldiers who died in action is one of them.
    Sadly there is no Trump 2.0.

I don't think I'll watch the news for about eight years. Somebody please PM me if there's about to be an apocalypse or something. Thanks in advance.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 15:45

My own reading of the convention bounce is more a case of people finally admitting that the whole Trump rebellion is fun while it lasts but isn't a good idea for an actual presidency. Many people hate Hillary with a passion but still recognise that she represents stability and will continue with the same old same old (the very definition of conservative). Even a fool knows by now that Trump couldn't do the job of president to save his life.
    My biggest worry is that an independent will take a large proportion of votes and Trump will get elected by mistake (rather like the Brexit vote where people never actually expected to win).
  15. Germany
    Moves
    02 Aug '16 15:49
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Sadly there is no Trump 2.0.

I don't think I'll watch the news for about eight years. Somebody please PM me if there's about to be an apocalypse or something. Thanks in advance.
    Reagan successfully appealed to Goldwater Republicans and used them to secure a solid victory. I wonder who will be the next Republican president who can secure the Trumpettes without being a total douchebag?