Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 22 Jan '16 04:20 / 5 edits
    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/12/03/on-status-of-jerusalem-donald-trump-provokes-boos-from-gop-jews/

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump provoked boos and jeers from an influential Jewish group here Thursday for refusing to recognize Jerusalem as the undisputed capital of Israel.

The businessman also questioned Israel’s willingness to negotiate a sweeping Middle East peace deal with the Palestinians, a stance challenged earlier in the day by one of his top rivals, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio.

“I don’t know that Israel has a commitment to make a deal,” Mr. Trump told hundreds of members of the Republican Jewish Coalition who gathered a few blocks from the White House to hear from each of the GOP candidates.

Mr. Trump’s unwillingness to commit to recognizing Jerusalem and his skepticism about the Israelis’ willingness to broker a deal capped a restrained, if unconventional, appearance before the organization, which includes a number of top donors to GOP candidates.

The celebrity businessman, responding to a question from the event organizer, did not immediately seem to grasp the significance of recognizing Jerusalem as the Israeli capital.

Parts of Jerusalem fall outside Israel’s internationally recognized border. Israel proclaims Jerusalem as its national capital, but the U.S. and other countries maintain their embassies in Tel Aviv. Jerusalem’s status is a key sticking point in negotiations with the Palestinians.

Mr. Trump seemed to make the case that Israelis could not begin talks with the Palestinians if they embraced an unwavering view on Jerusalem. “You can’t go in with that attitude,” Mr. Trump told the audience, before addressing a heckler in the front row who objected to his stance. “Don’t worry about it. You’re going to be very happy.”

Before Mr. Trump took the stage, his rival Mr. Rubio criticized the front-runner’s comments about Israel’s openness to negotiating with the Palestinians.

“Some in our party actually question Israel’s commitment to peace,” Mr. Rubio told the crowd during his prepared remarks. “Some in our own party actually call for more sacrifice from the Israeli people. They are dead wrong and don’t understand the enduring bond between Israel and America.”

The Florida senator went on to say “there is no moral equivalence between Israel and its enemies” and said that understanding “is essential” to being the next president. “This is not a real-estate deal with two sides arguing over money,” Mr. Rubio said, without naming Mr. Trump, a real-estate developer. “It’s a struggle to safeguard the future of Israel.”

Mr. Rubio was referring to comments Mr. Trump made earlier in the week to the Associated Press, in which Mr. Trump said he would try to broker a peace between Israel and the Palestinians but had “a real question as to whether or not both sides want to make it.”

“A lot will have to do with Israel and whether or not Israel wants to make the deal, whether or not Israel’s willing to sacrifice certain things,” Mr. Trump said. “They may not be, and I understand that, and I’m okay with that. But you’re just not going to have a deal.”

On Thursday, Mr. Trump acknowledged the skepticism of Republican Jewish Coalition members in attendance.

“You’re not going to support me, even though I’m the best thing that could ever happen to Israel,” Mr. Trump told the group. “You won’t support me because I don’t want your money.”

The New York real-estate developer praised the attendees for their presumed negotiating prowess, touching on a traditional Jewish stereotype. “This room negotiates deals, probably more than any group I’ve spoken to,” Mr. Trump said, winning applause and some laughter.
  2. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    22 Jan '16 04:29 / 6 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/12/03/on-status-of-jerusalem-donald-trump-provokes-boos-from-gop-jews/

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump provoked boos and jeers from an influential Jewish group here Thursday for refusing to recognize Jerusalem as the undisputed capital of Israel.

The businessman also questioned Israel’s willingness to ...[text shortened]... robably more than any group I’ve spoken to,” Mr. Trump said, winning applause and some laughter.
    Mr. Trump has managed get latino's, muslim's and women angry with him, maybe he feels it's time to provoke the Jews as well. I don't know how he thinks he's going to win a general election this way.
  3. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    22 Jan '16 07:38
    Refreshing in a very, very strange way.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    22 Jan '16 07:40 / 1 edit

The businessman also questioned Israel’s willingness to ...[text shortened]... robably more than any group I’ve spoken to,” Mr. Trump said, winning applause and some laughter.
    Rubio's running as the Second Coming of Cheney and Rumsfeld in foreign policy.
  5. 22 Jan '16 09:30
    Originally posted by bill718
    Mr. Trump has managed get latino's, muslim's and women angry with him, maybe he feels it's time to provoke the Jews as well. I don't know how he thinks he's going to win a general election this way.
    without knowing the full details of this speech, i would say that on THIS matter, he is right. of course Israel is not committed to peace, not unless their conditions are met. of course they should realize that to get peace, both parties will have to make concessions that will leave them both unhappy. of course this should be approached as a business deal, free from emotion. religious fervor and devotion to one thing or another on both sides makes this conflict continue.

trump forgot for a moment to be his manufactured persona of a hateful prick and revealed his true self: a shady businessman, but a good, pragmatic one.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    22 Jan '16 14:27 / 4 edits

It may be tilting at windmills to say this on an anonymous Internet forum, but use the the phrase "Jewish question" to open a discussion of Israeli foreign policy is inaccurate and borderline offensive.

Aside from the fact that "Israel" is not the same thing as "Jews" (though, of course, there's an overlap), the phrase "Jewish question" has Holocaust connotations (as in "final solution to the Jewish question" ). Through history, the "Jewish question" has generally been "What do we do about them pesky Jews?" not "Should we support Israeli policy?"

The issue discussed in your OP is Israeli policy, not the "Jewish question." I would ask you to please be more sensitive about this in the future. Thank you.
  7. 22 Jan '16 15:32
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Refreshing in a very, very strange way.
    You love Trump and would consider giving up women for him..

Admit it!
  8. 22 Jan '16 15:35
    Originally posted by sh76
    It may be tilting at windmills to say this on an anonymous Internet forum, but use the the phrase "Jewish question" to open a discussion of Israeli foreign policy is inaccurate and borderline offensive.

Aside from the fact that "Israel" is not the same thing as "Jews" (though, of course, there's an overlap), the phrase "Jewish question" has Holocaust connota ...[text shortened]... wish question." I would ask you to please be more sensitive about this in the future. Thank you.
    Jews are given a country and then treated like they are not sovereign.

They are not treated with any kind of respect, while nations like Iran and North Korea are treated with kid gloves.

So yea, I purposefully used the phrase "Jewish question" to drive home a point.

Why is Israel treated with such disdain and why so much attention when there are far worse regimes around the world who are not dictated to at every turn?

Screw Trump and the media.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    22 Jan '16 18:07
    Jews are given a country and then treated like they are not sovereign.

They are not treated with any kind of respect, while nations like Iran and North Korea are treated with kid gloves.

So yea, I purposefully used the phrase "Jewish question" to drive home a point.

Why is Israel treated with such disdain and why so much attention when there are fa ...[text shortened]... se regimes around the world who are not dictated to at every turn?

Screw Trump and the media.
    This is one of the most ridiculous posts you have ever made.
  10. 22 Jan '16 18:19
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    This is one of the most ridiculous posts you have ever made.
    Really?

Compare all the press targeted in on Israel building walls and boarding ships while the Sudan was involved in mass genocide against Christians which did not get near the negative press the fledgling Zionist state received.

How many nations do you know where the entire world is in bitter debate as to whether your state is legitimate or not or where your capital should be?

How many nations do you know who are continually bombarded and told that they should not return fire?

Dingleberry
  11. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    22 Jan '16 18:50 / 2 edits
    Really?

Compare all the press targeted in on Israel building walls and boarding ships while the Sudan was involved in mass genocide against Christians which did not get near the negative press the fledgling Zionist state received.

How many nations do you know where the entire world is in bitter debate as to whether your state is legitimate or not or wh ...[text shortened]... you know who are continually bombarded and told that they should not return fire?

Dingleberry
    GFY. Your rantings and ravings are ridiculous; the idea that Israel gets worse press in the US than Iran and/or North Korea is demented even by the abysmally low standards you constantly set here.

Israel's been around for 67 years; it's not exactly "fledgling". It has received more than a $100 billion in aid from the US; where is this terrible persecution from the US that you claim?

Donald Trump suggests what pretty much everyone knows; that the present Israeli government has no intention of making a deal that would leave anything like a Palestinian State. Naturally in your warped mind that constitutes some sort of anti-Semitism akin to Hitler's solution to the "Jewish Question". That is insane as sh76 rightly pointed out to you. Even an idiot like yourself should know that but if you do, you just don't care; you will use any sort of outrageous propaganda for your political purposes that your derangement can think of.

Israel "returns fire" in a grossly disproportionate manner largely using weapons that the US supplies it. Over 2,000 Palestinians, the great majority civilians, were killed by Israeli "non-fire" last year. And still the bombs keep flowing:

To date,
    the United States has provided Israel $124.3 billion
    (current, or non-inflation-adjusted, dollars) in
    bilateral assistance. Almost all U.S. bilateral aid to Israel is in the form of military assistance,
    although in the past Israel also received significant economic assistance. Strong congressional
    support for Israel has resulted in Israel receiving benefits not available to any other countries; for
    example, Israel can use some U.S. military assistance both for research and development in the
    United States and for military purchases from Israeli manufacturers. In addition, U.S. assistance
    earmarked for Israel is generally delivered in the first 30 days of the fiscal year, while most other
    recipients normally receive aid in installments, and Israel (as is also the case with Egypt) is
    permitted to use cash flow financing for its U.S. arms purchases.

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf

You are a disgusting propagandist and compulsive liar.
  12. 22 Jan '16 20:12 / 4 edits
    GFY. Your rantings and ravings are ridiculous; the idea that Israel gets worse press in the US than Iran and/or North Korea is demented even by the abysmally low standards you constantly set here.

Israel's been around for 67 years; it's not exactly "fledgling". It has received more than a $100 billion in aid from the US; where is this terrible persecu ...[text shortened]... ://fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf

You are a disgusting propagandist and compulsive liar.
    Other regimes may get bad press but not nearly as much as Israel. And no one questions whether these other nations have a right to exist or claim that they should move their capital or some such nonsense. If a country like North Korea or Iran wants to wipe out an entire city in their own country you may see a little headline about it in the news with a big old shrug, (watta gonna do?), but that is about all. Now if it were Israel, the UN would be sending troops.

The US gives money to every nation on earth, granted, Israel has seem to have gotten a good bit more than others. I think this is because over the years Israel has been viewed as the only ally the US had in the region. However, I don't think that is the view anymore, especially with Obama and now Trump or Hillary waiting in the wings. Now Iran is a kissing cousin.

My guess is the US will eventually try to give Israel over to the Muslims in an effort to appease them.

Hopefully the Jewish people will never forget that the rabid anti-Semitism they encountered over the centuries from various foreign governments. Israel is really their last stand.
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    22 Jan '16 20:21
    Other regimes may get bad press but not nearly as much as Israel. And no one questions whether these other nations have a right to exist or claim that they should move their capital or some such nonsense. If a country like North Korea or Iran wants to wipe out an entire city in their own country you may see a little headline about it in the news with a big ...[text shortened]... untered over the centuries from various foreign governments. Israel is really their last stand.
    I think even you know how full of s**t you are.

Yes, saying that Israel should implement a two-State solution (which they have already agreed in principle to do) is just like building Auschwitz.

You're pathetic.
  14. 22 Jan '16 20:45
    I think even you know how full of s**t you are.

Yes, saying that Israel should implement a two-State solution (which they have already agreed in principle to do) is just like building Auschwitz.

You're pathetic.
    That should be up to Israel, not you, not Trump.

No one should be forced to listen to arrogant fools demand anything from them.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    22 Jan '16 20:49
    That should be up to Israel, not you, not Trump.

No one should be forced to listen to arrogant fools demand anything from them.
    Fine, but do it on their own dime. No more $4-5 billion per year handouts from the American People to subsidize occupation and oppression.