Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 12:33
    https://www.thewrap.com/van-jones-calls-donald-trumps-success-a-white-lash/

CNN reporter, and former Obama tool Van Jones, said that Trump was elected because of a "white-lash" against the diversity of the former Obama administration.

Is this a racist thing to say?
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 13:34
    Originally posted by @whodey

CNN reporter, and former Obama tool Van Jones, said that Trump was elected because of a "white-lash" against the diversity of the former Obama administration.

People vote for the candidate they want. Different issues are important to different people. But the assumption that everyone who voted for Trump did so because of white lash against the diversity of the former Obama administration is silly -- I doubt many people chose a candidate because they are against the diversity of a former president's administration.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 13:541 edit
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    People vote for the candidate they want. Different issues are important to different people. But the assumption that everyone who voted for Trump did so because of white lash against the diversity of the former Obama administration is silly -- I doubt many people chose a candidate because they are against the diversity of a former president's administration.
    Looking at the numbers, only about 56% of whitey voted Trump.

Also, both Trump and Hillary were white. Would it not be more accurate to make the assertion that the vote for Trump was a misogynist vote instead of a racist vote, or does the race card simply have more political punch than the other?

Perhaps Van Jones is just a racist himself. That is my only conclusion based upon the facts, yet CNN will never fire him for it.

Imagine if Van Jones had been white talking about a black candidate that had been elected and saying it was a black lash.

He would have been fired before the words left his mouth.
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 14:02
    Looking at the numbers, only about 56% of whitey voted Trump.

Also, both Trump and Hillary were white. Would it not be more accurate to make the assertion that the vote for Trump was a misogynist vote instead of a racist vote, or does the race card simply have more political punch than the other?

Perhaps Van Jones is just a racist himself.
    All of the above are possible explanations for why people voted for Trump. One could also assert that minorities were racist when they voted for Obama and were less racist this election when they chose a candidate for reason then skin color. The real point though is assertions because you are bitter about an election result are meaningless.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 14:323 edits
    I once worked for a tax company where during a phone call, I explained to an elderly woman how a Congressional decision would affect her tax returns. She started complaining about the government, adding "And I can't believe they let a black man in the White House".

Typically, calling migrants from an ethnic group "rapists" or people "on drugs" would immediately end the political career of anyone. So would calling for a ban on an entire religion from entering a the country. So you have to wonder why Trump would be that popular with conservatives. But, if you consider that Republicans have been admitted opposing Obama on any every issue "If he (Obama) was for it, we were against it", even while he was just president-elect, you don't have to wonder very hard. Racism is endemic among conservatives.

I can only imagine the thoughts of these white nationalists as a black man defeated an old white man for the presidential election, as a black man lead the U.S. and was the face of the country for four years, then defeated an even more conservative, more religious white opponent, and continued to be the most powerful man in a nation built on slavery. When Trump came out spitting racist rhetoric, it must've been like air to a drowning man for these conservatives. Trump's poll numbers far eclipsed his Republican rivals, and he utterly destroyed his opponents in the primaries.

Trump told the people of Iowa "we're taking our country back". From who? Well, look who was leading the country. A black man who promoted gay rights, and who was in office while the Supreme Court made gay marriage legal. A man who embodied everything white supremacists hate.

Trump's "make American great again" and "we're taking our country back" were quite clear to his base, made up of angry, bigoted whites. It meant "Make America white again". Build a wall, keep those Mexicans out. Ban those Muslims. Pass false narratives about blacks, and continue to use those false narratives even after they've been pointed out as being false. Obviously, such people weren't bothered by Trump's rape charges, his "treat women like s**t" statement, or the pussy grab/don't ask for permission comments he made. White Supremacy tends to go hand-in-hand with sexism and male dominance.

Can we really argue that a man who had the vaguest policies for office, clearly knew nothing about politics or the government, had zero prior experience, but was openly racist, endorsed by a KKK Grand Wizard, and made the KKK's front page of their official news paper ISN'T a result of "white lash"? I don't see how.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 14:442 edits
    Originally posted by @vivify
    I once worked for a tax company where during a phone call, I explained to an elderly woman how a Congressional decision would affect her tax returns. She started complaining about the government, adding "And I can't believe they let a black man in the White House".

Typically, calling migrants from an ethnic group "rapists" or people "on drugs" would im ...[text shortened]... KK's front page of their official news paper ISN'T a result of "white lash"? I don't see how.
    There are racists who voted for Trump, just like there were who voted for Obama.

So what?

Now let's look at the election results. About 96% of blacks voted for Obama and 56% of white voted for Trump. So you take a whole thread and preach to me about how the GOP is sooooooo much more racist? I don't think so.

You put out lies again, Trump NEVER banned all Muslims, although I see why you think so because all the major media outlets falsely reported it that way. No, Trump tried to ban immigration from certain countries who were mostly Muslim, the same thing Obama once did, only, he was not labeled a racist when he did it, nor was he stopped by the courts like they did Trump.

Does wanting a wall mean you are a racist? No, but once again this is falsely how people are portrayed that want to secure the border. Are there some who are racist and want the wall because of that? Sure, but I don't think it is anywhere close to a majority, especially with Obama being elected for two terms

Your post is just another example of the hysterical disconnect with middle America mixed with race baiting, just like your buddy Van Jones was doing.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 14:52

This was almost a year ago, whodey. Why bring it up now?

To answer your question, Jones was probably correct in his sentiment, though, of course, if he were white and said something similar about black voters, of course he'd be vilified as a racist.

Anyway, the Dems have only themselves to blame for Trump. They laughed and cheered as Trump destroyed the Republican party thinking that he'd be an easy out in the general. Then, they compounded their stupidity by nominating the least likable Presidential candidate since Michael Dukakis.
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 14:52

Typically, calling migrants from an ethnic group "rapists" or people "on drugs" would im ...[text shortened]... KK's front page of their official news paper ISN'T a result of "white lash"? I don't see how.
    You start with a story of a woman who did not like having a black person in the white house (her views are obviously racist and absurd but I'm sure you could quote many black people who said they voted for Obama because of his skin color) and then jump to the conclusion that everyone who likes Trump must be racist. I personally believe a wall around Mexico is moronic but not everyone who disagrees with me is racist. Some people believe that immigrants will lead to lower wages for them -- and if money is important to them it will change their vote. Some people believe Trump is an outsider and that our federal government needs non-career politicians. Some people believe he is a successful business man and that this country needs to make business related decisions. Some people think the Clintons were dishonest and would never vote for them again. There are millions of people and thus millions of beliefs/ ways of viewing the world. It is simply wrong to attribute everything to racism.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 14:561 edit

You put out lies again, Trump NEVER banned all Muslims
    Whodey, work on your reading comprehension. Work on your common sense. Everything I've said pertains to the election not Trump's presidency. The article in your OP refers to election.

I didn't say Trump actually banned all Muslims, I said he called for a ban on all Muslims.

There are racists who voted for Trump, just like there were who voted for Obama.

So what?

Obama didn't disparage an entire ethnic group an entire religion, or an entire gender. Apples/oranges.

Now let's look at the election results. About 96% of blacks voted for Obama and 56% of white voted for Trump. So you take a whole thread and preach to me about how the GOP is sooooooo much more racist? I don't think so.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-baxley/african-americans-democratic_b_12680256.html

No Democratic presidential nominee has received less than 82 percent of the black vote since Kennedy’s 68 percent in 1960. And in the past 80 years, no Republican presidential nominee has done better than Eisenhower’s 39 percent [of the black vote] in his 1956 reelection bid.

It's not racism. Blacks overwhelmingly vote Democratic anyway.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 15:021 edit
    There are millions of people and thus millions of beliefs/ ways of viewing the world. It is simply wrong to attribute everything to racism.
    I haven't attributed "everything" to racism. However, bigotry was undeniably a major part why someone who was clearly ignorant of politics, the government and the world, who was brazenly sexist and had zero political experience, was a demonstrable embarrassment who used a presidential debate to talk about his penis size, could be THAT wildly popular with conservatives.
  11. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 15:12
    I haven't attributed "everything" to racism. However, bigotry was undeniably a major part why someone who was clearly ignorant of politics, the government and the world, who was brazenly sexist and had zero political experience, was a demonstrable embarrassment who used a presidential debate to talk about his penis size, could be THAT wildly popular with conservatives.
    Trump appealed to people who feel that they were being ignored by Obama and other Republicans. While you clearly sees Trump negatives, you continue to ignore the fact that others see positives in him. There is nothing racist about supporting a candidate who appeals to you and future candidate would make a big mistake in attributing all of Trump support as support of racism.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 15:281 edit
    Trump appealed to people who feel that they were being ignored by Obama and other Republicans. While you clearly sees Trump negatives, you continue to ignore the fact that others see positives in him. There is nothing racist about supporting a candidate who appeals to you and future candidate would make a big mistake in attributing all of Trump support as support of racism.
    Trump's "positives" are clearly outweighed by his negatives, are they not?

What if Obama had zero political experience, had a rape charge involving a 13 year old, bragged about walking in on teen girls while they were getting dressed, said we should treat women "like s**t", clearly demonstrated no understanding of politics, our government or world affairs, had a federal lawsuit for defrauding people out of their money with a fraudulent university, and called an entire group of ethnic migrants "rapists" and drug users?

Again: what if Trump was a black man saying the exact same thing? Would you be defending him? What if a black man KNOWINGLY spread false statistics about crimes committed by whites, to appeal to racists from his base? What if a black man said it was "okay" to call his own daughter a "hot piece of ass"? Would you still be criticizing me for calling his supporters bigots?
  13. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 15:50
    Trump's "positives" are clearly outweighed by his negatives, are they not?

What if Obama had zero political experience, had a rape charge involving a 13 year old, bragged about walking in on teen girls while they were getting dressed, said we should treat women "like s**t", clearly demonstrated no understanding of politics, our government or world affai ...[text shortened]... hter a "hot piece of ass"? Would you still be criticizing me for calling his supporters bigots?
    I'm not defending Trump. I am defending people's right to choose a candidate who they believe furthers their interests and I disagree with your assessment that only a racist would support Trump. If you believe immigration decreases your ability to make money then you have a logical non-racist reason not to restrict immigration. Similarly if you believe securing our borders makes you safer because you are afraid of criminals you also have a logical non-racist reason to restrict immigration. If Obama's policies do not benefit you, then you have logical non-racist reasons to not want someone like Obama.
    I don't have a desire to restrict immigration, but I do have a strong desire to lower taxes, decrease redistribution and get rid of Affirmative Action. The Democrats ideas don't appeal to me and it has absolutely nothing to do with race.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 16:022 edits
    I'm not defending Trump. I am defending people's right to choose a candidate who they believe furthers their interests and I disagree with your assessment that only a racist would support Trump.
    a) No one said they can't choose a candidate they feel is best. The issue is *why* they feel that way.
    b) I never said only racists voted Trump. I already corrected Whodey for this false statement

If you believe immigration decreases your ability to make money then you have a logical non-racist reason not to restrict immigration. Similarly if you believe securing our borders makes you safer because you are afraid of criminals you also have a logical non-racist reason to restrict immigration. If Obama's policies do not benefit you, then you have logical non-racist reasons to not want someone like Obama.
    I don't have a desire to restrict immigration, but I do have a strong desire to lower taxes, decrease redistribution and get rid of Affirmative Action. The Democrats ideas don't appeal to me and it has absolutely nothing to do with race.

All 16 GOP candidates from the election believed in everything you just mentioned. So why choose Trump? Why choose the guy who knowingly spread false info disparaging blacks and had federal charges for fraud?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '17 16:19
    All 16 GOP candidates from the election believe in everything you just mentioned. So why choose Trump? Why choose the guy who knowingly spread false info disparaging blacks and had federal charges for fraud?[/b]
    Why choose Trump? Because both parties hated Trump.

Americans are done with both parties.