Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    23 Dec '17 04:33
    Originally posted by @eladar
    It is alao interseting the Obama appointee gets replaced soon after the IRS said it would not honor Trump's decree.

It is about time the government fall into line as it did for Obama's immigration policy. IRS was willing to do Obama's bidding to illegally go after conservative groups. Time to do Trump's bidding.
    Not that interesting; his term was up on November 12th.

It's been one and a half months and there has been no announcement of any change in the mentioned policy. If you think the President can legally order an Executive Department to cease enforcing a tax required by law, you are mistaking our Republic for a dictatorship.
  2. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    23 Dec '17 04:41
    Originally posted by @no1marauder to @eladar
    Not that interesting; his term was up on November 12th.

It's been one and a half months and there has been no announcement of any change in the mentioned policy. If you think the President can legally order an Executive Department to cease enforcing a tax required by law, you are mistaking our Republic for a dictatorship.
    Eladar can't help it. He keeps getting Trump mixed up with Mussolini.
  3. 23 Dec '17 04:50
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Eladar can't help it. He keeps getting Trump mixed up with Mussolini.
    Obama was the first President who ruled by fiat. Now the shoe is on the other foit.
  4. Subscriber kmax87
    MacDaddy Roller
    23 Dec '17 05:40
    Is the law of the land.

Obama's insurance mandate is no longer law of the land.

I remember many here gloating that Obama Care is the Law of the Land.

How does it look now that the shoe is on the other foot?
    You are so gleeful about this, I hope you are in the upper end of the middle class, because if you're not, apart from "your guy" making the rules, all things considered you probably are going to be worse off aren't you??
  5. 23 Dec '17 06:07
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    You are so gleeful about this, I hope you are in the upper end of the middle class, because if you're not, apart from "your guy" making the rules, all things considered you probably are going to be worse off aren't you??
    Why would I be worse off? My deduction will be nearly double. This will lower both my state and federal income tax.

As for the Obama Care mandate, if it will not be enforced in 2019 then a person will not be punished for having no insurance in 2018. I was correct that the punishment will end for not having insurance as of January 1 2018. The punishment has a one year lag.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    23 Dec '17 06:52
    Why would I be worse off? My deduction will be nearly double. This will lower both my state and federal income tax.

As for the Obama Care mandate, if it will not be enforced in 2019 then a person will not be punished for having no insurance in 2018. I was correct that the punishment will end for not having insurance as of January 1 2018. The punishment has a one year lag.
    Your reading comprehension sucks or you just insisting on believing what you want to because of your ideology.

The individual mandate is not repealed UNTIL January 1, 2019 THEREFORE those who do not have health insurance in 2018 WILL be liable for the tax when they file in early 2019. You are not correct when you insist otherwise.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    23 Dec '17 06:54

You'll lose your personal exemption, which will wipe out most of the gains from the increase in the standard deduction.
  8. 23 Dec '17 07:21
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    You'll lose your personal exemption, which will wipe out most of the gains from the increase in the standard deduction.
    We'll see how it pans out. I am thinking it will still help out on my state taxes.
  9. 23 Dec '17 07:25
    Your reading comprehension sucks or you just insisting on believing what you want to because of your ideology.

The individual mandate is not repealed UNTIL January 1, 2019 THEREFORE those who do not have health insurance in 2018 WILL be liable for the tax when they file in early 2019. You are not correct when you insist otherwise.
    The tax returns will be filed in 2019. Seems to me that the year in which the taxes are paid should be the year the charge is made.

From what I read you don't need to provide proof of insurance anyhow, just claim to have it.
  10. 23 Dec '17 12:54

You must be unaware of Trumps EO on this...

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/319672-irs-takes-step-against-obamacare-mandate
  11. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    23 Dec '17 14:21
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    You must be unaware of Trumps EO on this...

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/319672-irs-takes-step-against-obamacare-mandate
    Again, try more recent links like the ones I have already provided.
  12. 23 Dec '17 14:27
    Again, try more recent links like the ones I have already provided.
    The link proves my point...the mandate has been neutered to the point of non existent basically.

"Consistent with that, the IRS has decided to make changes that would continue to allow electronic and paper returns to be accepted for processing in instances where a taxpayer doesn't indicate their coverage status."
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    23 Dec '17 14:32 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    The link proves my point...the mandate has been neutered to the point of non existent basically.

"Consistent with that, the IRS has decided to make changes that would continue to allow electronic and paper returns to be accepted for processing in instances where a taxpayer doesn't indicate their coverage status."
    That article in February 2017 is obsolete. The articles I have provided from October and November 2017 show the IRS has reversed that policy and will NOT accept such returns. From the New American (a right wing site) article cited to on the previous page:

Taxpayers must respond to the ObamaCare-related line items on their returns or face delays in their processing. “This process reflects the requirements of the ACA and the IRS’s obligation to administer the health care law,” the agency wrote. “Taxpayers remain obligated to follow the law and pay what they may owe at the point of filing.”

“The [earlier] announcement was interpreted by some as weakening of the mandate but really it just said they weren’t going to step up enforcement,” Gordon Mermin of the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center told the Associated Press. “Now it appears they are going to increase compliance.”
  14. 23 Dec '17 14:41
    That article in February 2017 is obsolete. The articles I have provided from October and November 2017 show the IRS has reversed that policy and will NOT accept such returns. From the New American (a right wing site) article cited to on the previous page:

Taxpayers must respond to the ObamaCare-related line items on their returns or face delays in t ...[text shortened]... Policy Center told the Associated Press. “Now it appears they are going to increase compliance.”
    I C&Ped that from your article.
  15. 23 Dec '17 14:43
    Birth control mandate removed...

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/354232-trump-administration-eliminates-obamacare-birth-control-mandate