Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    23 Dec '17 14:45
    Originally posted by @eladar
    The tax returns will be filed in 2019. Seems to me that the year in which the taxes are paid should be the year the charge is made.

    From what I read you don't need to provide proof of insurance anyhow, just claim to have it.
    I really wouldn't advise lying on a tax return:

    Tax fraud is a federal crime with serious consequences and a crime that rarely stays hidden. Between the IRS’s audit computers and the Whistleblower program, high dollar tax fraud is nearly impossible to hide. Low dollar tax fraud sometimes can be hidden for a time, but eventually most people get caught. Filing a fraudulent return can result in fines up to $250,000 for an individual or $500,000 for a corporation and up to 3 years in jail along with the cost of prosecution for high dollar tax fraud. For lower dollar tax fraud you can face penalties of as much as $5000.00 or 100% of the unpaid tax. If the IRS is charging you with high dollar tax fraud, you must hire an attorney and be prepared for a long, difficult and humiliating process.

    Keep in mind that the IRS is not out to get responsible tax payers. In fact, in order to be found guilty of filing a fraudulent tax return the IRS must prove that you: “Willfully makes and subscribes any return, statement, or other document, which contains or is verified by a written declaration that is made under the penalties of perjury, and which he does not believe to be true and correct as to every material matter.” (Title 26 USC § 7206(1)) In other words, you must intentionally and knowingly lie on your taxes or other tax related documents.

    https://law.freeadvice.com/tax_law/tax_enforcement/filing-fraudulent-income-tax-return-crime.htm

    I don't know your income level but it is probable that most taxpayers will get some tax relief. This is in line with SOP for Republican tax cuts like Reagan's and Bush's; dole out a few extra dollars a week to the average American while saving the big guys millions.
  2. 23 Dec '17 14:55 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    I really wouldn't advise lying on a tax return:

    Tax fraud is a federal crime with serious consequences and a crime that rarely stays hidden. Between the IRS’s audit computers and the Whistleblower program, high dollar tax fraud is nearly impossible to hide. Low dollar tax fraud sometimes can be hidden for a time, but eventually most people get caugh ...[text shortened]... dole out a few extra dollars a week to the average American while saving the big guys millions.
    Yeah, such as these...

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2015/03/09/tax-refunds-to-illegals-under-obama-immigration-action-would-be-stopped-by-bill/#6dfeb52e618c

    https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/terence-p-jeffrey/irs-gave-14-billion-refundable-tax-credits-illegals

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2016/04/13/irs-admits-it-encourages-illegals-to-steal-social-security-numbers-for-taxes/#e10d9804c041
  3. Subscriber mchill
    Independent
    23 Dec '17 18:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Is the law of the land.

    Obama's insurance mandate is no longer law of the land.

    I remember many here gloating that Obama Care is the Law of the Land.

    How does it look now that the shoe is on the other foot?
    How does it look now that the shoe is on the other foot?

    Well, the zillionaires will make out like bandits, the working class will get a few crumbs, all at the expense of ballooning the national debt by another 1 - 2 trillion bucks, (yes, that's trillion with a T) and if you think America will magically grow our way out of this deficit like the GOP claims, I have some shiny objects I'll sell ya. Frankly I'm worried about the national debt.

    This will however give Trump and the GOP a chance to wave the flag, and dance around as if they've actually accomplished something positive.
  4. Standard member vivify
    rain
    23 Dec '17 18:40 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Is the law of the land.

    Obama's insurance mandate is no longer law of the land.

    I remember many here gloating that Obama Care is the Law of the Land.

    How does it look now that the shoe is on the other foot?
    a) Trump didn't repeal the ACA, he stopped individual mandate; and that doesn't even go into effect until 2019. So Obamacare is still the law of the land

    b) The ACA was passed in 2010, before I joined this site. Who was around back then "gloating" over it? Care to name anyone specific? Or are you just making things up like Trump did with Muslims "cheering" on 9/11?
  5. 23 Dec '17 21:03
    Originally posted by @vivify
    a) Trump didn't repeal the ACA, he stopped individual mandate; and that doesn't even go into effect until 2019. So Obamacare is still the law of the land

    b) The ACA was passed in 2010, before I joined this site. Who was around back then "gloating" over it? Care to name anyone specific? Or are you just making things up like Trump did with Muslims "cheering" on 9/11?
    No1 was one.