Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    29 Jun '16 14:193 edits
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3662445/Judge-sentenced-Brock-Turner-20-six-months-rape-hand-three-year-sentence-Latino-man-32-charged-crime.html

    Judge who sentenced Stanford swimmer Brock Turner, 20, to six months for rape will hand down three year sentence to Latino man, 32, charged with nearly identical crime.

    Aaron Persky is the judge who sentenced Brock Turner to six months in jail
    Turner, a white Stanford athlete, was guilty of three sexual assault charges
    Persky is now expected to solidify a three year sentence for a Latino man.

    The man, Raul Ramirez, 32, is a 'very poor' El Salvadorian immigrant
    Ramirez pleaded guilty and apologized for sexual assault of his roommate.

    But Turner is not likely to serve even those six months behind bars. He is scheduled to be released from jail on Sept. 2, three months after he was admitted, according to the Santa Clara County Department of Corrections.

    Ramirez, like Turner, was deemed guilty of sexual assault and had no criminal record of convictions for serious or violent felonies prior to the rape trial.
    Those in the criminal justice system say Ramirez's sentencing is fair, while Turner's is the oddity.
  2. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    767
    29 Jun '16 14:26
    Originally posted by vivify
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3662445/Judge-sentenced-Brock-Turner-20-six-months-rape-hand-three-year-sentence-Latino-man-32-charged-crime.html

    Judge who sentenced Stanford swimmer Brock Turner, 20, to six months for rape will hand down three year sentence to Latino man, 32, charged with nearly identical crime.

    Aaron Persky is the judge who se ...[text shortened]... ree months after he was admitted, according to the Santa Clara County Department of Corrections.
    Some of you want to critisize the judge for a light sentence and then critisize the man for handing out a heavier sentence. Every case will be different so why bring race into it?
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    29 Jun '16 14:47
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Some of you want to critisize the judge for a light sentence and then critisize the man for handing out a heavier sentence. Every case will be different so why bring race into it?
    he just told you how the cases are similar
    he just told you that the ramirez sentence is the reasonable one while the turner one stands out as an oddity


    can you have a grown up read these posts to you and explain what they mean before you reply ?
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    29 Jun '16 14:502 edits
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Some of you want to critisize the judge for a light sentence and then critisize the man for handing out a heavier sentence. Every case will be different so why bring race into it?
    There is a major difference: The Latino was convicted of rape, while Turner, who sexually assaulted a woman with his finger, was only convicted of intent to rape, along with two other sexual assault charges.

    Not that I'd ever wish rapists get lighter penalties, but why doesn't the Latino get the same treatment?
  5. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    767
    29 Jun '16 14:59
    Originally posted by vivify
    There is a major difference: The Latino was convicted of rape, while Turner, who sexually assaulted a woman with his finger, was only about to rape his victim before getting caught.

    Not that I'd ever wish rapists get lighter penalties, but why doesn't the Latino get the same treatment?
    I doubt it is about race, but some people think because Turner was an athlete he may have gotten off easier. Don't know how that can be proven, but a first time offense of rape should not go lenient because the message must be clear about severe punishment so women are not victimized by first offenders. Now the judge has to sentence another and doesn't want to get burned by handing out another light sentence and they guy happens to be another race. Not everything is about race.
  6. Account suspended
    Joined
    02 Jan '15
    Moves
    10189
    29 Jun '16 15:02
    Oh hell there's many thousands of cases of blacks being let off easy after many violent crimes and still running around on the street until they finally do something really heinous and end up getting a life sentence.
    Put it back in the deck.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    29 Jun '16 15:06
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I doubt it is about race, but some people think because Turner was an athlete he may have gotten off easier. Don't know how that can be proven, but a first time offense of rape should not go lenient because the message must be clear about severe punishment so women are not victimized by first offenders. Now the judge has to sentence another and doesn't w ...[text shortened]... ut another light sentence and they guy happens to be another race. Not everything is about race.
    "I doubt it is about race, but some people think because Turner was an athlete he may have gotten off easier"
    there were many factors. i don't think the judge is a racist. he just looked at the pain the rape victim was suffering and decided 6 months were enough justice
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    29 Jun '16 15:10
    Originally posted by vivify
    There is a major difference: The Latino was convicted of rape, while Turner, who sexually assaulted a woman with his finger, was only convicted of intent to rape, along with two other sexual assault charges.

    Not that I'd ever wish rapists get lighter penalties, but why doesn't the Latino get the same treatment?
    no.
    the latino got a fair treatment. first offence, that is why it's not 14 years. other factors such as pleading guilty, showing remorse, etc. that is why it's not 10 years. or 8. we could argue that he may deserve 4 years. or 2 and a half. but 6 months ring obviously unfair for the victim.


    we must be clear that rapists shouldn't be treated like brock turner. we must be clear that brock turner should have been treated more like a rapist.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    29 Jun '16 15:11
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I doubt it is about race, but some people think because Turner was an athlete he may have gotten off easier. Don't know how that can be proven, but a first time offense of rape should not go lenient because the message must be clear about severe punishment so women are not victimized by first offenders. Now the judge has to sentence another and doesn't w ...[text shortened]... ut another light sentence and they guy happens to be another race. Not everything is about race.
    It may not be just about race; it's probably also about class. Turner, who went to a prestigious university, was also an athlete, and had a judge who attended the same university. The Latino is poor.

    Affluent white man = 6 month sentence for three counts of sexual assault, including intent to rape (and is likely to only serve half that)

    Poor Latino = 3 years for rape.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    29 Jun '16 15:161 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    no.
    the latino got a fair treatment. first offence, that is why it's not 14 years. other factors such as pleading guilty, showing remorse, etc. that is why it's not 10 years. or 8. we could argue that he may deserve 4 years. or 2 and a half. but 6 months ring obviously unfair for the victim.


    we must be clear that rapists shouldn't be treated like brock turner. we must be clear that brock turner should have been treated more like a rapist.
    I agree fully that rapists shouldn't get lighter sentences; that's why I explicitly said so in that post. I was making the point that Turner was given an unjustly light sentence that only happened because he was an affluent white man.
  11. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    767
    29 Jun '16 15:20
    Originally posted by vivify
    It may not be just about race; it's probably also about class. Turner, who went to a prestigious university, was also an athlete, and had a judge who attended the same university. The Latino is poor.

    Affluent white man = 6 month sentence for three counts of sexual assault, including intent to rape (and is likely to only serve half that)

    Poor Latino = 3 years for rape.
    I would bet it has more to do with the good ole boys club. That kid is realated to someone in high places in that community. Probably will never know, but that stuff happens a lot !!! That is real close to your assesment too but not exactly the same. The defense attourney may have called in a favor too. When it comes to lawyers and judges, anything is possible. They get to where they think they are above the law, much like the law enforcement community.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    29 Jun '16 15:21
    Originally posted by vivify
    I agree fully that rapists shouldn't get lighter sentences; that's why I explicitly said so in that post. I was making the point that Turner was given an unjustly light sentence that only happened because he was an affluent white man.
    i understood what you meant, i just argued that i didn't like the way you phrased the last question: "but why doesn't the Latino get the same treatment?". it contradicts your earlier statement that you don't want more lenient penalties for rapists (with which i agree)

    i say it should be "why doesn't the white, rich, stanfordey man get the same treatment as most rapists?"
  13. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    767
    29 Jun '16 15:23
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    he just told you how the cases are similar
    he just told you that the ramirez sentence is the reasonable one while the turner one stands out as an oddity


    can you have a grown up read these posts to you and explain what they mean before you reply ?
    Why don't you move to China?
  14. Account suspended
    Joined
    02 Jan '15
    Moves
    10189
    29 Jun '16 15:23
    Originally posted by vivify
    I agree fully that rapists shouldn't get lighter sentences; that's why I explicitly said so in that post. I was making the point that Turner was given an unjustly light sentence that only happened because he was an affluent white man.
    It happened because a judge blew a synapse and was retarded about the sentence that's why EVERYBODY is complaining about it and clamoring for him to be removed from the bench.
    Jesus give it a rest it's not like everybody just said Oh Well that's OK because he's white.
    For that matter a few years ago a white girl in high school was raped by a black who just happened to be the star member of the football team and he got let off with a slap on the wrist and got to keep playing and SHE had to quit the drill team because she refused to go to the games he played in and go rah-rah.
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    29 Jun '16 15:24
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i understood what you meant, i just argued that i didn't like the way you phrased the last question: "but why doesn't the Latino get the same treatment?". it contradicts your earlier statement that you don't want more lenient penalties for rapists (with which i agree)

    i say it should be "why doesn't the white, rich, stanfordey man get the same treatment as most rapists?"
    You're right. My post was poorly worded.
Back to Top