Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    30 Aug '17 20:281 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/30/two-years-on-has-angela-merkels-welcome-culture-worked-in-germany

"Two years on, has Angela Merkel's welcome culture worked in Germany?
    One Syrian family’s story of adjusting to a new life speaks volumes about
    Germany’s attitude towards refugees on the eve of national elections."

"Through 2015 and 2016, the number of refugees arriving in Germany
    rose to more than 1 million. Merkel staked her reputation on welcoming
    the newcomers, at least one-third of whom were Syrian."

"Ruaa herself could be a poster child for integration. Four years after her arrival,
    she is now a competent German speaker who is about to take up a degree
    course at university. She is adamant that much as she misses her native Syria,
    she has invested too much in her German life to ever return."

"“Everything takes so long,” she adds. “I had thought of Germany as an
    efficient country – call me naive, but I did think it was actually a perfect place.
    The little houses when we arrived reminded me of ones I’d seen in fairy tales.
    I know it’s so childish to say, but I had thought a bus would pick us up
    from the harbour, we would be taken by helpers and given somewhere
    to live, and taught the language right away.”"

"Ruaa is grateful to Germany, she says. “After all, they took us in.”
    She believes she can more easily realise her dream to lead a self-sufficient life
    here than she could have done in Syria. But she does not shy away from
    talking about her frustrations, especially her encounters with unfriendly
    bureaucrats who seem “overwhelmed and keen to push the responsibility
    on to someone else”, the dogmatic teachers who don’t like their authority
    being questioned, and the apparent randomness of the rules."

"She also feels a lack of willingness to understand or at the very least respect
    her religious beliefs, which she says are at the core of her family’s identity.
    People repeatedly ask her why she wears a headscarf, “but rarely want
    to hear the answer”."
  2. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    31 Aug '17 00:00
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/30/two-years-on-has-angela-merkels-welcome-culture-worked-in-germany

"Two years on, has Angela Merkel's welcome culture worked in Germany?
    One Syrian family’s story of adjusting to a new life speaks volumes about
    Germany’s attitude towards refugees on the eve of national elections."

"Through 2015 and 20 ...[text shortened]...
    to hear the answer”."
    "She also feels a lack of willingness to understand or at the very least respect
    to hear the answer”."

Would a German citizen (especially a white male) be given a warm welcome if he wished to immigrate to Syria? I think not. It works both ways Duchess. If this lady has a big problem with this situation, she's welcome to go back where she came from!

Let me save you some effort here: The racist, sexist ,mchill, who's attacks against me are an affront.....yada....yada....yada.... 😴
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    31 Aug '17 00:221 edit
    Originally posted by @mchill
    to hear the answer”."

Would a German citizen (especially a white male) be given a warm welcome if he wished to immigrate ...[text shortened]... racist, sexist ,mchill, who's attacks against me are an affront.....yada....yada....yada.... 😴
    "Would a German citizen (especially a white male) be given a warm welcome
    if he wished to immigrate to Syria? I think not."
    --Mchill

First of all, I doubt that any German would like to emigrate to Syria *now* in a civil war.
    The only white male German that I can immediately recall as an immigrant to Syria was
    Hyacinth Graf Strachwitz, a distinguished German officer who moved there in 1949 as
    a military adviser. After his patron in Syria was overthrown in a coup d'etat, he left Syria.
    His experience hardly could be regarded as typical.

Let's broaden the context from a white German in Syria to a white European in an Arab society.
    Showing his usual bigotry, Mchill implies that white people always would be unwelcome by the Arabs.
    That's false. The extent to which a white person would be welcomed by the Arabs would
    chiefly depend upon who that person was, what one was doing, and one's real motives.
    Obviously, the Arabs would not welcome white people who come intending to kill them.

As I have mentioned earlier, Wilfred Thesiger, an upper-class white Englishman of Christian
    heritage, wrote that he was treated with extraordinary hospitality by his Arab hosts, such
    as the Bedu of Arabia's Empty Quarter. He noted that their generosity exceeded what
    Westerners typically would offer to their Arab guests.

In general, I regard the Arabs as a hospitable people toward foreigners who come in
    peace and are not obvious racists or bigots. That said, the Arabs are very diverse,
    and a visitor should take the usual precautions when traveling in unfamiliar places.
    There are a considerable number of Western expats living and working in Arab societies.

"If this lady has a big problem with this situation, she's welcome to go back where she came from!"
    --Mchill

Mchill presumably would have told a German Jewish refugee who dared to complain
    about anti-Semitism in the USA that she was free to return to Third Reich.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '17 00:341 edit
    Libtards believe that immigrants will not change their libtard culture, the immigrants will naturally adopt libtard beliefs.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    31 Aug '17 00:45
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Libtards believe that immigrants will not change their libtard culture, the immigrants will naturally adopt libtard beliefs.
    My neighbours include a Muslim couple, probably immigrants, who live quietly.
    I have made no attempt to influence their beliefs and have no objection to them as they are.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Aug '17 01:49
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    My neighbours include a Muslim couple, probably immigrants, who live quietly.
    I have made no attempt to influence their beliefs and have no objection to them as they are.
    Do you think Muslims will become more like you when it comes to morality?
  7. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    31 Aug '17 04:17
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Do you think Muslims will become more like you when it comes to morality?
    Yeah! All Muslims obviously have the same morality and can be generalised as one group.

Really. Do you have to be here? Can't you go and polute a different site with your ignorant moronity?
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    31 Aug '17 16:26
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Yeah! All Muslims obviously have the same morality and can be generalised as one group.

Really. Do you have to be here? Can't you go and polute a different site with your ignorant moronity?
    Yeah shav, now go read your OP in your Twitter rant and bask in your own hypocrisy.