Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 10 Apr '10 02:38 / 2 edits
    I have heard complaining about the US census this year. Apparently, people are all bent out of shape regarding the endless questions about race. In fact, some are offended that the word "negro" appears on the form. Also there no way to designate a race as Hispanic on the form. Hispanic is considered an origin on the form, not a race. Of course, those on the far right are a bit paranoid about the information being used against them. They point to the information secretly and illegally being used in the 1940's to help round up Japanese Americans in one of the darkest episodes in American history under FDR.

So how about it, does the census spend to much time asking about race related questions? In fact, I have heard many people mark other and put "American".
  2. 10 Apr '10 02:45
    Can a moderator move this to the debates forum?
  3. 10 Apr '10 03:58
    Originally posted by whodey
    I have heard complaining about the US census this year. Apparently, people are all bent out of shape regarding the endless questions about race. In fact, some are offended that the word "negro" appears on the form. Also there no way to designate a race as Hispanic on the form. Hispanic is considered an origin on the form, not a race. Of course, those on ...[text shortened]... t race related questions? In fact, I have heard many people mark other and put "American".
    Anthropologically speaking, there are three races in the human species...Caucasoid: whites of Russo-European decent; Mongoloid: Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, etc.), Native Americans, Hispanics of Indian ancestry (Mestisos) and those in South America; and Negroid: Black Africans and their decendants......if the census used this method....problem solved.
  4. Standard member expuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    10 Apr '10 04:19
    Originally posted by peanutpicker61
    Anthropologically speaking, there are three races in the human species...Caucasoid: whites of Russo-European decent; Mongoloid: Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, etc.), Native Americans, Hispanics of Indian ancestry (Mestisos) and those in South America; and Negroid: Black Africans and their decendants......if the census used this method....problem solved.
    We live in a day in age when politics defines race rather than science. I find it interesting that people from india are by science defined as Caucasoid and Asian by political/geographic definition. If you look at skulls from india and europe, both have the lower nasal ridge that only is found on cuacasoids. Niether Mongoloid or Negroid skulls posess this feature. The Govenor of my state is 1st born american of Indian parents but is called the first "non-white" Govenor.
  5. 10 Apr '10 04:31
    Originally posted by expuddlepirate
    I find it interesting that people from india are by science defined as Caucasoid and Asian by political/geographic definition.
    Interesting. I was just about to ask what people from India would be considered.
  6. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    10 Apr '10 04:34
    Who cares about U.S. obsession with race?

Anyway, in a few generations the US will be
    a full mix, although we are a mix already, so
    to speak.

Heaven!

*Sam and überclosethomo faint*
  7. 10 Apr '10 14:43
    Originally posted by Seitse

to speak.

Heaven!

So long as there is an obsession with race it will be of the utmost importance. The question is why?
  8. 10 Apr '10 14:52 / 2 edits
    On a side note, I heard a hilarious story the other day and its a true story. Apparently a woman had an adult son at home who was MR. He was around 24 years of age and a massive 6 feet and 6 inches tall. He was able to function OK alone at home while his mother worked and she would frequently check up on him by calling him at home from work. One day, however, she made one such phone call to her son and her son told her that he had a lepricon. He told her that a lepricon had come to the door and now he had him a lepricon locked in the closet. As the mother probed further about the subject for about 10 minute she realized there must be a problem and rushed home. She ran in the house and unlocked the closet and there stood a 5 ft tall man from the US census trembling. Apparently the man child had seen a commercial that advertised Skittles that had lepricons in it that resembled the man so he grabed him by the shoulders and forceably shoved him into the closet and locked it. He then dutifilly feed him Skittles under the door until his mother arrived. Unfortunatly, the man's cell phone did not work because the battery was dead. Fortunatly for the mother, however, the man decided not to press charges.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    10 Apr '10 15:27
    So long as there is an obsession with race it will be of the utmost importance. The question is why?
    Perhaps it's because your national mythology (and I don't mean that provocatively, every nation has a version of its own story that sometimes leaks and creaks under scrutiny, the U.K.'s for instance is full of delusions and deceptions) depicts the extraordinary assimilation of the 19thC and 20thC as a unique and empowering process, lending America a set of peerless nation-defining cross-cultural credentials.

Perhaps the truth is rather different. Maybe the assimilation of the 19thC and 20thC was in fact an era of tragic cultural extinctions, of bullying and forced conformity, of younger generations being 'ashamed' of their non-English speaking parents and grand parents, of disappearing languages, of disappearing oral histories, of cultural dislocation, of insecurity and hostility, of the grinding swell towards conformity, of always rating the superiority and inferiority of cultural data, of rich European traditions being replaced with bland consumerism and a kind of rootless set of set-adrift aspirations all in orbit of consuming things and making "progress", and so on.

If I am right, to some degree, maybe America is not as au fait with "race" as it thinks it is. Maybe it is NOT equipped so well to contemplate and understand its racial currents and eddies. Maybe an awful cultural trauma (for many, many people), being packaged as a cultural triumph (for everyone) in the nation's pat-itself-on-the-back narrative, has in fact installed some bad programs in your societal software, and the internalized back-patting noise distracts people from taking a candid look at the reality of their nation's track record and experience.
  10. 10 Apr '10 15:39

to speak.

Heaven!

I look forward to that day. I'm a caucasion from the USA and us folks are really stinking up the joint lately.
  11. Standard member telerion
    True X X Xian
    10 Apr '10 19:06
    I have heard complaining about the US census this year. Apparently, people are all bent out of shape regarding the endless questions about race. In fact, some are offended that the word "negro" appears on the form. Also there no way to designate a race as Hispanic on the form. Hispanic is considered an origin on the form, not a race. Of course, those on ...[text shortened]... t race related questions? In fact, I have heard many people mark other and put "American".
    Here's the form.

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php

"Endless questions about race" is kind of a stretch given that there is exactly one (question #9). I guess by that standard they could have complained that there are endless questions about gender, birth date and phone number.

Question #8 is about Hispanic ethnicity not race.
  12. 10 Apr '10 19:09 / 1 edit
    I have heard complaining about the US census this year. Apparently, people are all bent out of shape regarding the endless questions about race. In fact, some are offended that the word "negro" appears on the form. Also there no way to designate a race as Hispanic on the form. Hispanic is considered an origin on the form, not a race. Of course, those on t race related questions? In fact, I have heard many people mark other and put "American".
    1. Ask a Spaniard if he considers himself a seperate race from a German.
    2. The problem with the census information being used to arrest Japanese Americans is the idea that Japanese Americans should be arrested - not that the authorities knew where they were.
    3. On a side note, I have never had to tell the government my race even though there is a civil registry which keeps track of where everyone lives.
  13. 10 Apr '10 19:10

to speak.

Heaven!

Funny question, since it's the minorities that are the ones obsessed with race. They are constantly squaking about it.
    So blame yourself.
  14. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    10 Apr '10 19:49
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Funny question, since it's the minorities that are the ones obsessed with race. They are constantly squaking about it.
    So blame yourself.
    I am not an American nor live in the States.

Conclusion: you're an idiot.

Now, let's talk about you not having the nuts
    to face a "threatening minority" unless you
    have a gun once Arizona changes its laws,
    would you?
  15. 10 Apr '10 20:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps it's because your national mythology (and I don't mean that provocatively, every nation has a version of its own story that sometimes leaks and creaks under scrutiny, the U.K.'s for instance is full of delusions and deceptions) depicts the extraordinary assimilation of the 19thC and 20thC as a unique and empowering process, lending America a set o ...[text shortened]... om taking a candid look at the reality of their nation's track record and experience.
    i'm gonna max out! white-hispanic-native-american for me and white-hispanic-native-american-asian/pacific-islander for my kids!

scroll forward 1000 years: cafe au lait!