Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 09 Oct '15 18:02
    I am now officially done with the US......this is too stupid to be real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmO-ziHU_D8
  2. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    09 Oct '15 19:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    I am now officially done with the US......this is too stupid to be real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmO-ziHU_D8
    It's real and we debated it a long time ago. Are you short of racist topics for the time being and want a re-run of a lost argument? These students are brilliant, their debates were fascinating to watch and if you lack the ability to grasp what is happening culturally then that is your deficiency, something you need to feel some shame over. America has moved beyond chattel slavery some 150 years back; it has moved beyond segregation only in our lifetimes, and it has yet to move beyond a sickening level of racism that shames the USA in the eyes of most of the world. But there are African Americans who have managed (against the odds) to raise their self esteem, to engage their own artistic and creative flair and to produce their own poetry which many people around the globe admire and enjoy. The attempt by people like you to impose a false dualism onto human relationships is all too persuasive - people can indeed latch onto trivial signifiers like skin colour to construct social monstors of hatred and division. However, we do not have to accept that division. You can only call them "black" because you have the delusion that you are "white" and that that signifies something. It signifies nothing - I do not share your culture or your values and I would be classed as "white" - and your cultural contribution - in so far as we encounter it - is less than nothing.
  3. 09 Oct '15 20:32 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan
    It's real and we debated it a long time ago. Are you short of racist topics for the time being and want a re-run of a lost argument? These students are brilliant, their debates were fascinating to watch and if you lack the ability to grasp what is happening culturally then that is your deficiency, something you need to feel some shame over. America has mov ...[text shortened]... "white" - and your cultural contribution - in so far as we encounter it - is less than nothing.
    Brilliant?
    Their "debates" were fascinating?
    They didn't debate at all, they just screamed obscenities at each other.

Are....you......nuts?
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    09 Oct '15 20:45 / 1 edit
    The Great Debaters is a good movie.

YouTube
  5. 09 Oct '15 20:57
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung

[youtube]IN2AGZThL-8[/youtube]
    Thanks....but that has nothing to do with the hideous moronic garbage mouthed team that won the collegiate debate contest because ...for no other reason...they were black.
  6. 09 Oct '15 21:14
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung

[youtube]IN2AGZThL-8[/youtube]
    Absolutely, on The Great Debaters! On the other hand, I agree with Fishy that this competition stood all rules and conventions on their head. It turned out to be a bad rap competition, not a debate, in any real or traditional sense.
  7. 09 Oct '15 21:19
    It's real and we debated it a long time ago. Are you short of racist topics for the time being and want a re-run of a lost argument? These students are brilliant, their debates were fascinating to watch and if you lack the ability to grasp what is happening culturally then that is your deficiency, something you need to feel some shame over. America has mov ...[text shortened]... "white" - and your cultural contribution - in so far as we encounter it - is less than nothing.
    There is little doubt that the young women who participated were gifted and perhaps brilliant, but this is an example of changing the rules in the middle of a contest. In no sense could anyone judge their debating skills, as hardly anyone could even perceive what they were saying.

The problem isn't that their "poetry" isn't inventive or enjoyable to "people around the globe". It isn't debating! When a debating contest becomes who puts on the most innovative show, it has ceased to be a debating contest.
  8. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    09 Oct '15 22:24
    Originally posted by normbenign
    There is little doubt that the young women who participated were gifted and perhaps brilliant, but this is an example of changing the rules in the middle of a contest. In no sense could anyone judge their debating skills, as hardly anyone could even perceive what they were saying.

The problem isn't that their "poetry" isn't inventive or enjoyable to "p ...[text shortened]... ng contest becomes who puts on the most innovative show, it has ceased to be a debating contest.
    Odd that the organisers disagree with you. Such silly billies. They lack your wisdom it seems. I mean, how much would they know about the rules of debating, what with being the organisers and judges of a national debating competition and all that entails? I suppose the losers could go to court over the rules?
  9. 10 Oct '15 02:11 / 1 edit
    Odd that the organisers disagree with you. Such silly billies. They lack your wisdom it seems. I mean, how much would they know about the rules of debating, what with being the organisers and judges of a national debating competition and all that entails? I suppose the losers could go to court over the rules?
    As you well know, altering rules to give unusual contestants a chance to win isn't that unusual. I didn't spend much time watching the video, but it seemed quite unintelligible to me. Even the team they beat, appeared to be more in a rap competition, than a formal debate.

I'm sure that around the world, the Chinese, the Brits, the Germans, and everyone else loved that free style "debating". To me it makes a mockery of what debating really is, a logical presentation of ideas. The movie cited earlier was a great example of that where the winning team had to argue a position that they did not agree with, certainly a significant challenge in a debate competition. Of course their opponents in that contest were faced with an uncomfortable premise as well.

What was the premise the winners were arguing for or against? Can you even tell me?
  10. 10 Oct '15 02:28
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Brilliant?
    Their "debates" were fascinating?
    They didn't debate at all, they just screamed obscenities at each other.

Are....you......nuts?
    Nuts is a harsh label.

I prefer the PC term Progressive.