Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 03 Jun '09 18:18
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8080336.stm

The United States is facing pressure over its Cuba policy at the annual meeting of the Organization of American States (OAS), being held in Honduras.

Most Latin American countries want the Caribbean island to return to the group, from which it was expelled in 1962, without preconditions.

But US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Cuba should only return if it passed democratic reforms.

Mrs Clinton said no consensus had been reached on the first day of the summit.

Cuba, which was expelled from OAS after the 1959 communist revolution, has said it will not accept membership if offered.

Cuban Foreign Ministry official Carlos Fernandez said reversing the expulsion would be "a good sign for the Organization of American States" but that his country had no intention of rejoining the group.

'Common way forward'

Honduran President Manuel Zelaya told leaders at the annual two-day summit that the decision to expel Cuba - following the revolution which turned the country into a one-party communist state - was "a day that will live in infamy".

He said it was "time to correct that mistake", or the 34 members of the group would be "colluding with that mindset of yesterday".

Yes, lets mock democracy in the Americas, once again, by inviting the Island (private property of the Castros) into the club, great.
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    03 Jun '09 18:30
    Why invite them if they've announced they have no intention of accepting? Just to allow them to make a mockery of the organization? Why not instead just post a "We are a Joke" sign on the organization's web page?
  3. 03 Jun '09 18:53
    What does this organization actually do?
  4. 03 Jun '09 18:55
    Originally posted by sh76
    Why invite them if they've announced they have no intention of accepting? Just to allow them to make a mockery of the organization? Why not instead just post a "We are a Joke" sign on the organization's web page?
    That didn't take too long...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8082146.stm
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    03 Jun '09 21:24
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What does this organization actually do?
    Probably about the same as the UN...

Nothing significant
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    03 Jun '09 22:59
    Originally posted by sh76
    Why shouldn't the "Organization of American States" have a state in the Americas as one of its members?

Prediction: Cuba will rejoin the organization in the near future.
  7. 03 Jun '09 23:09
    Cas-TRO! Cas-TRO! Cas-TRO!

Sorry ...
  8. 04 Jun '09 16:31
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Cas-TRO! Cas-TRO! Cas-TRO!

Sorry ...
    Do you support Kim as well?
  9. 04 Jun '09 17:33
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Do you support Kim as well?
    Moderately. Not really.
  10. 04 Jun '09 17:48
    Moderately. Not really.
    don't be timid.
  11. 04 Jun '09 17:51
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    don't be timid.
    Some things I agree with him on, other things I don't. As opposed to Castro, with whom I agree on most everything.
  12. 04 Jun '09 17:52
    Some things I agree with him on, other things I don't. As opposed to Castro, with whom I agree on most everything.
    Simply amazing.
  13. 04 Jun '09 17:53
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Simply amazing.
    I know!
  14. 04 Jun '09 17:56
    What do you agree with?

missiles? communism? censorship?
  15. 04 Jun '09 17:58
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Simply amazing.
    I know, Castro and Kim are probably the nicest guys around these days, too bad good ol' Stalin's gone.