Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 27 Feb '15 13:06
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/12/AR2010121202663.html

    Another episode in everybody's favorite show "How irresponsible american gun policies is killing people"

    "One of the reasons that Houston is the number one source, you can go to a different gun store for a month and never hit the same gun store," said J. Dewey Webb, special agent in charge of the Houston field division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. "You can buy [a 9mm handgun] down along the border, but if you come to Houston, you can probably buy it cheaper because there's more dealers, there's more competition."


    Drug cartels have aggressively turned to the United States because Mexico severely restricts gun ownership. Following gunrunning paths that have been in place for 50 years, firearms cross the border and end up in the hands of criminals as well as ordinary citizens seeking protection.

    "This is not a new phenomenon," Webb said.

    What is different now, authorities say, is the number of high-powered rifles heading south - AR-15s, AK-47s, armor-piercing .50-caliber weapons - and the savagery of the violence.

    "Federal authorities say more than 60,000 U.S. guns of all types have been recovered in Mexico in the past four years,"
  2. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    27 Feb '15 13:13
    Well the problem you begin with here is that "federal authorities" are liars.
  3. 27 Feb '15 15:13
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/12/AR2010121202663.html

    Another episode in everybody's favorite show "How irresponsible american gun policies is killing people"

    "One of the reasons that Houston is the number one source, you can go to a different gun store for a month and never hit the same gun store," said J. Dewey Webb, ...[text shortened]... y more than 60,000 U.S. guns of all types have been recovered in Mexico in the past four years,"
    Thinks "FAST And FURIOUS", and gunrunner in chief Eric Holder.
  4. 27 Feb '15 15:18
    Can't post it here for fear of offending but I highly recommend going to Encyclopedia Dramatica and looking up Mexico.
  5. 27 Feb '15 15:52
    One of the reasons that Houston is the number one source, you can go to a different gun store for a month and never hit the same gun store
  6. 27 Feb '15 15:53
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    One of the reasons that Houston is the number one source, you can go to a different gun store for a month and never hit the same gun store
    Have you ever bought a gun, or even tried?
  7. 27 Feb '15 15:57
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Have you ever bought a gun, or even tried?
    irrelevant.

    this however is very relevant:
    Texas has no laws regarding possession of "long-barreled firearms" or "long guns" (shotguns, rifles and similar) by persons 18 years or older with valid id, or handguns by persons 21 years or older, without felony convictions (all existing restrictions in State law mirror Federal law). NFA weapons are also only subject to Federal restrictions; no State regulations exist. Municipal and county ordinances on possession and carry are generally overridden (preempted) due to the wording of the Texas Constitution, which gives the Texas Legislature (and it alone) the power to "regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime".[2] Penal Code Section 1.08 also prohibits local jurisdictions from enacting or enforcing any law that conflicts with State statute. Local ordinances restricting discharge of a firearm are generally allowed as State law has little or no specification thereof, but such restrictions do not preempt State law concerning justification of use of force and deadly force.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Texas
  8. 27 Feb '15 16:50
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    irrelevant.

    this however is very relevant:
    Texas has no laws regarding possession of "long-barreled firearms" or "long guns" (shotguns, rifles and similar) by persons 18 years or older with valid id, or handguns by persons 21 years or older, without felony convictions (all existing restrictions in State law mirror Federal law). NFA weapons are also only ...[text shortened]... ustification of use of force and deadly force.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Texas
    Not at all irrelevant. You don't know what you're talking about. Go try to buy a gun at every gun store around Houston, or wherever your cave is located. It isn't that easy.

    Also, try wearing a firearm openly in Texas. It simply isn't the wild west anymore, if it ever was.

    By the way, the distinction between long guns and hand guns has long been held, as long guns are much less frequently used in crimes, and are commonly used in recreational hunting or subsistence living.
  9. 27 Feb '15 16:52
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    irrelevant.

    this however is very relevant:
    Texas has no laws regarding possession of "long-barreled firearms" or "long guns" (shotguns, rifles and similar) by persons 18 years or older with valid id, or handguns by persons 21 years or older, without felony convictions (all existing restrictions in State law mirror Federal law). NFA weapons are also only ...[text shortened]... ustification of use of force and deadly force.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Texas
    Here in Arizona we can carry guns either openly or concealed with no license required, and the state gun laws have a supremacy clause that forbids any town or county from requiring one.
    Odd how we don't have anywhere near the trouble with guns that New York, etc has, where guns are for all practical purposes illegal to own or carry.
  10. 27 Feb '15 17:01 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Not at all irrelevant. You don't know what you're talking about. Go try to buy a gun at every gun store around Houston, or wherever your cave is located. It isn't that easy.

    Also, try wearing a firearm openly in Texas. It simply isn't the wild west anymore, if it ever was.

    By the way, the distinction between long guns and hand guns has long been h ...[text shortened]... frequently used in crimes, and are commonly used in recreational hunting or subsistence living.
    Also, try wearing a firearm openly in Texas. It simply isn't the wild west anymore, if it ever was.
    irrelevant. i am not discussing open firearm carry (even if that is insane in itself).

    "You don't know what you're talking about. Go try to buy a gun at every gun store around Houston, or wherever your cave is located. It isn't that
    easy."
    state legislature disagrees. the thousands of guns that wind up in mexico disagree. your idiotic reselling laws (or lack of) disagree. it is in fact that easy to get a gun. you telling me to go buy a gun and see for myself is a childish debating tactic that might work on a five year old. i am not impressed.


    "By the way, the distinction between long guns and hand guns has long been held, as long guns are much less frequently used in crimes, and are commonly used in recreational hunting or subsistence living."
    also irrelevant. handguns are also included in that excerpt. they aren't regulated either. this is a just lame attempt to derail the discussion.
  11. 27 Feb '15 18:14
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    Also, try wearing a firearm openly in Texas. It simply isn't the wild west anymore, if it ever was.
    irrelevant. i am not discussing open firearm carry (even if that is insane in itself).

    "You don't know what you're talking about. Go try to buy a gun at every gun store around Houston, or wherever your cave is located. It isn't that
    easy."
    state legi ...[text shortened]... hat excerpt. they aren't regulated either. this is a just lame attempt to derail the discussion.
    You obviously aren't as smart as a 5 year old. Yeh they probably wouldn't sell you a gun anyway.
  12. 27 Feb '15 18:21
    Originally posted by normbenign
    You obviously aren't as smart as a 5 year old. Yeh they probably wouldn't sell you a gun anyway.
    ad hominem.

    doesn't change the facts or enforce your position.


    "it is hard to buy a gun in a state that has practically no laws on this issue"

    it would be funny if it weren't for the fact that people die because of your stupid lack of gun laws. this thread is about the ones that die even though they aren't even citizens of your country
  13. 27 Feb '15 19:52
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    ad hominem.

    doesn't change the facts or enforce your position.


    "it is hard to buy a gun in a state that has practically no laws on this issue"

    it would be funny if it weren't for the fact that people die because of your stupid lack of gun laws. this thread is about the ones that die even though they aren't even citizens of your country
    You haven't commented on the Fast and Furious program of Holder, which used Texas gun shops to walk guns across the border and which guns were traced directly to the murders of two Federal agents. Many of those weapons were guns that most of us can't even get due to scarcity of supply in many parts of America.
  14. 27 Feb '15 22:59
    Originally posted by normbenign
    You haven't commented on the Fast and Furious program of Holder, which used Texas gun shops to walk guns across the border and which guns were traced directly to the murders of two Federal agents. Many of those weapons were guns that most of us can't even get due to scarcity of supply in many parts of America.
    red herring

    i am not talking that once upon a time, someone did something related to guns and that did something.

    i am talking about how you people give out guns like candy. i am talking about how those guns are used to kill mexicans that had no way to object to your idiotic laws. i am talking about yet another reason why your gun policies destroy lives while giving nothing that a good gun control legislation could also provide.
  15. 27 Feb '15 23:13
    Mexicans don't need American guns, they do just fine brutalizing each other without them, been doing it since the ancient Aztec days and way before that, it almost defines them as a culture and race :
    https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Mexico