Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 08 Nov '09 04:36
    weeeeeee whodey read it and weep!
  2. 08 Nov '09 05:36
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
  3. 08 Nov '09 05:39
    Originally posted by whodey
    lol, its ok, dont feel so bad you bad ol putty cat, cant you always scrap it once the democrats give up power?
  4. 08 Nov '09 05:46
    lol, its ok, dont feel so bad you bad ol putty cat, cant you always scrap it once the democrats give up power?
    All I hear is the Republicans salivating about regaining power. I hear NOTHING about them overturning this legislation when it passes in the Senate. Somehow I get the feeling that its all a song and dance they do in regards to opposing legislation like this. They are currently not in the majority so they can freely oppose it without it hindering the legislation from getting passed. Of course, when they attain power once again, mark my words. NOTHING will be done to change this. NOTHING!!

I can't help but feeling that this song and dance is nothing but smoke and mirrors to make us feel as though someone is representing us. In reality, I think it is akin to the saying that one is only a slave if one thinks they are a slave. So let the taxes and government control commense, however, I at least recognize I am a slave to these task masters. Most around here seem to defend their task masters.
  5. 08 Nov '09 05:55
    All I hear is the Republicans salivating about regaining power. I hear NOTHING about them overturning this legislation when it passes in the Senate. Somehow I get the feeling that its all a song and dance they do in regards to opposing legislation like this. They are currently not in the majority so they can freely oppose it without it hindering the legisl ...[text shortened]... ognize I am a slave to these task masters. Most around here seem to defend their task masters.
    Mmm, its like to crime syndicates, one family gets the ascendency and the other just bides its time, however, isn't it going to make a lot of people feel much more secure not to mention healthy?
  6. 08 Nov '09 06:02 / 1 edit
    Mmm, its like to crime syndicates, one family gets the ascendency and the other just bides its time, however, isn't it going to make a lot of people feel much more secure not to mention healthy?
    Actually the polls show that most Americans oppose the new reforms. Those in Washington simply don't care. However, they can then spend all their time on PR trying to make Americans feel "represented". It sure can't hurt can it?
  7. 08 Nov '09 06:23
    Actually the polls show that most Americans oppose the new reforms. Those in Washington simply don't care. However, they can then spend all their time on PR trying to make Americans feel "represented". It sure can't hurt can it?
    i heard that even democrats had opposed the reforms, but the man is the man, and his petitioning seem to have worked. is there anyone who can oppose his majesty?
  8. 08 Nov '09 06:34
    i heard that even democrats had opposed the reforms, but the man is the man, and his petitioning seem to have worked. is there anyone who can oppose his majesty?
    The Olympic committee. Thats about it.
  9. 08 Nov '09 08:33
    A lot of people oppose new things because they are afraid of things that might go wrong. I'm sure that in ten years time a majority will oppose reverting back to the old system - although Republicans would probably not dare to put such a thing on the agenda by then.
  10. 08 Nov '09 10:31
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704795604574519671055918380.html

---

* NOVEMBER 7, 2009, 9:58 A.M. ET

What the Pelosi Health-Care Bill Really Says
    Here are some important passages in the 2,000 page legislation.

• Sec. 202 (p. 91-92) of the bill requires you to enroll in a "qualified plan." If you get your insurance at work, your employer will have a "grace period" to switch you to a "qualified plan," meaning a plan designed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services. If you buy your own insurance, there's no grace period. You'll have to enroll in a qualified plan as soon as any term in your contract changes, such as the co-pay, deductible or benefit.

• Sec. 224 (p. 118) provides that 18 months after the bill becomes law, the Secretary of Health and Human Services will decide what a "qualified plan" covers and how much you'll be legally required to pay for it. That's like a banker telling you to sign the loan agreement now, then filling in the interest rate and repayment terms 18 months later.

On Nov. 2, the Congressional Budget Office estimated what the plans will likely cost. An individual earning $44,000 before taxes who purchases his own insurance will have to pay a $5,300 premium and an estimated $2,000 in out-of-pocket expenses, for a total of $7,300 a year, which is 17% of his pre-tax income. A family earning $102,100 a year before taxes will have to pay a $15,000 premium plus an estimated $5,300 out-of-pocket, for a $20,300 total, or 20% of its pre-tax income. Individuals and families earning less than these amounts will be eligible for subsidies paid directly to their insurer.
  11. 08 Nov '09 10:31
    20 pct of pretax income!
  12. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    08 Nov '09 12:31
    Thank You Robbie. I'll read it and cheer. No doubt the Republicans will bemoan the fact that the working class will get a few crumbs, rather than everything going to the C E O's and Insurance Companies!!
  13. 08 Nov '09 12:45
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    20 pct of pretax income!
    In the current system, the average American with health insurance pays about 20 percent of pretax income on health care, as health care expenditure is 16% of GDP.
  14. 08 Nov '09 13:41 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    In the current system, the average American with health insurance pays about 20 percent of pretax income on health care, as health care expenditure is 16% of GDP.
    that is a horrendous percentage, why is it so much? perhaps you guys have the best health care money can buy? or perhaps the culture of litigation makes it so expensive? or perhaps health officials wages are so incredible high? or perhaps there are too many fingers in the pie?
  15. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    08 Nov '09 14:00
    Gotta love those commie yanks!