Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 04:32
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44340439

“Mattis says China 'intimidating neighbours'”
    Hahahahahhaha

Pot... kettle... hypocrite....
    Let’s see what else Mattie has to whine about:

“Mr Mattis told the security summit that Beijing had deployed military hardware including anti-ship missiles, surface-to-air missiles and electronic jammers to locations across the South China Sea.
    "Despite China's claims to the contrary, the placement of these weapon systems is tied directly to military use for the purposes of intimidation.”

And:

“There are currently about 28,500 US troops based in South Korea.”

Hahahhahaha
    Pot... kettle...

Good grief. Surely Mattie (whoever the hell he is) must hear his own words and wish he was back in his trailer park.

The hypocrisy is so blatant, it’s dived over into stupidity.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 05:14
    Originally posted by @shavixmir

Hahahahahhaha

“Mr Mattis told the security summit that Beijing had deployed military hardware including anti-ship missiles, surface-to-air missiles and electronic jammers to loca ...[text shortened]... he was back in his trailer park.

General James Mattis is the US Defence Secretary. He was formerly the Commander of the US Central Command (I'm guessing that that is essentially the same as the Head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the UK) and one of the few choices Donald Trump made in his administration I have any respect for. Having said that the normal rule is that one should have been out of the military for at least seven years before taking public office, but Congress let that one go, probably out of relief that someone useful had been chosen. Your trailer park slur is misplaced.

That the US has had a presence in South Korea since the war it's nothing new. The point here is that China's military equipment has been moved there recently which represents a change to the balance of power in the region. I've no idea how much of a problem that is, but I do believe the statement that, with the likely exception of North Korea, China's neighbours feel intimidated by this.
  3. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 06:47
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    General James Mattis is the US Defence Secretary. He was formerly the Commander of the US Central Command (I'm guessing that that is essentially the same as the Head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the UK) and one of the few choices Donald Trump made in his administration I have any respect for. Having said that the normal rule is that one should have ...[text shortened]... ent that, with the likely exception of North Korea, China's neighbours feel intimidated by this.
    Nope.
    The point here is that the US is constantly intimidating neighbours near and far... and is now saying someone else is doing it.

As for trailer trash... you opt to choose to work for / with Trump, your fate is sealed.
  4. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 07:06

Hahahahahhaha

“Mr Mattis told the security summit that Beijing had deployed military hardware including anti-ship missiles, surface-to-air missiles and electronic jammers to loca ...[text shortened]... he was back in his trailer park.

<<Surely Mattie (whoever the hell he is) must hear his own words and wish he was back in his trailer park.>>

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Mattis
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 07:50
    General James Mattis is the US Defence Secretary. He was formerly the Commander of the US Central Command (I'm guessing that that is essentially the same as the Head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the UK) and one of the few choices Donald Trump made in his administration I have any respect for. Having said that the normal rule is that one should have ...[text shortened]... ent that, with the likely exception of North Korea, China's neighbours feel intimidated by this.
    Don't you think the USA is intimidating China?

http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/20/surrounded-how-the-u-s-is-encircling-china-with-military-bases/

You already know the USA routinely intimidates North Korea with those joint US/SK military drills. North Korea hates that and for good reason. Threatening the USA is actually a predictable response to that.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 11:15
    Nope.
    The point here is that the US is constantly intimidating neighbours near and far... and is now saying someone else is doing it.

As for trailer trash... you opt to choose to work for / with Trump, your fate is sealed.
    Well, North Korea did invade South Korea and that war is technically not over, their troops are there for a reason. I'm curious to see if you can give an example of a country the US "continuously intimidates" which is not attempting to develop nuclear weapons or not tooled up with impressive conventional forces.
  7. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 12:12
    Well, North Korea did invade South Korea and that war is technically not over, their troops are there for a reason. I'm curious to see if you can give an example of a country the US "continuously intimidates" which is not attempting to develop nuclear weapons or not tooled up with impressive conventional forces.
    "Intimidates"...not "threatens"...correct?

Mexico and Canada.

The bullying of these, our closest neighbors...is shameful.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 13:50
    General Kelly was also a quite respected figure among Trump's staff, often called "the adult in the room", expected to bring order and discipline.

He has since gradually revealed racist tendencies, such as when he called Robert E. Lee an "honorable man", or when he called Dreamers "lazy".

It seems that anyone picked by Trump shares common traits, most notably, disparaging minorities. I'm not saying Mattis is racist, but if Trump picked him, it might just be a matter of time before he says or does something ugly. I hope not; but given the track record of Trump appointees....
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 15:13
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    Don't you think the USA is intimidating China?

http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/20/surrounded-how-the-u-s-is-encircling-china-with-military-bases/

You already know the USA routinely intimidates North Korea with those joint US/SK military drills. North Korea hates that and for good reason. Threatening the USA is actually a predictable response to that.
    If you think the USA could possibly intimidate China, you don't inderstand how China works at all. What could they possibly do to a country which is willing and able to toss another hundred million coolies undet the treads of either the USA's tanks or just as happily their own?

Let's be honest, when it comes to international evil, this is just Oceania calling a two minutes' hate on East Asia. Both are equally despicable, and Stali^wPutinist Russia is the third equal.
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 20:291 edit
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue to Metal-Brain
    If you think the USA could possibly intimidate China, you don't inderstand how China works at all. What could they possibly do to a country which is willing and able to toss another hundred million coolies undet the treads of either the USA's tanks or just as happily their own?

Let's be honest, when it comes to international evil, thi ...[text shortened]... ' hate on East Asia. Both are equally despicable, and Stali^wPutinist Russia is the third equal.
    ShallowBlue's a virulent racist troll (whose racism may be popular among Westerners)
    who's extremely ignorant and deluded about realities in China.

"Certainly [serfdom existed in] just about all of Asia..."
    --Shallow Blue

Shallow Blue loves his narrow demeaning racist stereotypes (as subservient) of Asians.
    It's absurd to project a mirror-image of European feudalism unto diverse Asian societies.
    Can Shallow Blue cite any reputable historian who claims that feudalism was almost universal in Asia?

I already have pointed out that 'feudalism' in China was quite different from feudalism in Europe.
    In particular, Chinese 'feudalism' did NOT have European-style serfdom.
    For many generations, Europeans were born into serfdom, which did not happen in China.

"What could they possibly do to a country [China] which is willing and able to toss another hundred million *coolies* ..."
    --ShallowBlue

ShallowBlue keeps showing his demeaning racist stereotyping of Chinese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolie
    "Coolie is now regarded as derogatory and/or a RACIAL SLUR in the Caribbean, Africa,
    Oceania, North America, Southeast Asia and Europe – in reference to people from Asia."
    (ShallowBlue, a white European, uses 'coolie' to refer to Asians.)

The extremely ignorant racist troll ShallowBlue's ABSOLUTELY WRONG to believe that
    the People's Republic of China's government could readily expect to survive IF it decided
    to sacrifice one hundred million Chinese lives without an extraordinarily compelling reason.
    (If the USA launched an unprovoked nuclear first strike--which I don't expect--to kill one
    hundred million Chinese, no one in China would blame its government for attempting to retaliate.)

China has deeply changed since the time of the calamitous Great Leap Forward under Mao Zedong.
    Chinese people today are not the servile passive objects of ShallowBlue's racist fantasies.
    The Chinese people today would not tolerate anything like a repetition of the worst of Mao's abuses.
    And technology (internet) has made it easier than ever for Chinese people to mobilize.
    Although the Chinese justice system remains deeply flawed, in my view, some of the
    most corrupt or abusive officials are beginning to be held accountable for their crimes.

My general point is that China has changed greatly since the worst days under Mao Zedong.
    Ignorant Westerners like to act as though China must be permanently frozen at their
    most cherished points of racist demonization.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 20:35

Hahahahahhaha

Shavixmir's general point is right about the usual hypocritical US imperialist bluster.

A fairer comparison of US military forces in the ROK (China has none in the DPRK)
    would be comparing it to China (hypothetically) having military forces based in Mexico.

By objective standards, the USA's much more militaristic than China.
    The USA has many more overseas military bases than China has (a few being developed).
    The USA has recently invaded or attacked many more countries than China has.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 20:531 edit
    Originally posted by @deepthought to Shavixmir
    General James Mattis is the US Defence Secretary. He was formerly the Commander of the US Central Command (I'm guessing that that is essentially the same as the Head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the UK) and one of the few choices Donald Trump made in his administration I have any respect for. Having said that the normal rule is that on ...[text shortened]... ent that, with the likely exception of North Korea, China's neighbours feel intimidated by this.
    DeepThought seems to be implying that because the USA has a long record of being
    very aggressive and militaristic around the world, then it has the right to keep doing so.
    But China must be wrong to increase its defense budget even in response to threats by
    the USA or rapidly increasing military spending (with US encouragement) by potential
    enemies such as India and Japan.

After Mao Zedong's death in 1976, Deng Xiaopeng decided to gamble, in effect, that China
    could avoid any major wars (other than a border war with Vietnam) for many years, enough
    time to develop China's economy. So China's defence spending was cut nearly to the bone.
    In the 1990s, Western defence journals would note that China's main fighter aircraft was
    still the obsolete J-6 (a slightly improved MiG-19), which had been developed in the 1950s.
    Western defence analysts tended to write off China as militarily weak and inept.

As China's economy has developed, China's defence spending has increased from a very low base.
    China today intends to keep reducing the PLA's size and focus upon enhancing its technology.

In contrast to the USA, which has such 'threatening' neighbors as Canada and Mexico
    and has oceans to shield it from invasion, China's in the middle of eastern Asia and has
    often has been invaded in history. China has such historically or potentially hostile
    neighbors as Japan, Russia, India, and Vietnam. So in terms of regional security,
    China has much more reason than the USA to prepare for defence.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 20:57
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Shavixmir's general point is right about the usual hypocritical US imperialist bluster.

A fairer comparison of US military forces in the ROK (China has none in the DPRK)
    would be comparing it to China (hypothetically) having military forces based in Mexico.

By objective standards, the USA's much more militaristic than China.
    The USA has many more ...[text shortened]... being developed).
    The USA has recently invaded or attacked many more countries than China has.
    With that said and true, Vietnam and the Philippines have both said they fear the expansion of Chinese artificial islands near their territorial waters. It seems pretty clear the Chinese are bent on expanding their territory and tap into resources there, in formerly international waters.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 21:01
    Originally posted by @deepthought to Shavximir
    "I'm curious to see if you can give an example of a country the US "continuously intimidates" which
    is not attempting to develop nuclear weapons or not tooled up with impressive conventional forces."
    --DeepThought (to Shavixmir)

The USA invaded Grenada and Panama. Does DeepThought claim that Grenada or Panama
    were attempting to develop nuclear weapons or had 'impressive conventional forces'?

As I recall, the USA claimed that the presence of a small number of (potentially armed)
    Cuban construction workers in Grenada posed an intolerable threat to US national security.
    Some US propaganda glorified the US invasion of Grenada almost as if it had been Iwo Jima.
    Some Cuban construction workers took up arms (light infantry at best) and attempted to
    resist the assault by many of the most elite US troops and were slaughtered as a result.
    Surviving Cubans later complained of harsh or brutal treatment after being taken prisoner by the USA.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Jun '18 21:082 edits
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    With that said and true, Vietnam and the Philippines have both said they fear the expansion of Chinese artificial islands near their territorial waters. It seems pretty clear the Chinese are bent on expanding their territory and tap into resources there, in formerly international waters.
    "...formerly international waters."
    --Sonhouse

That's an issue at dispute or for (I hope) future negotiation.

Of course, the US media acts as if China always must be wrong in every international dispute.
    (And Sonhouse seems to accept whatever the mainstream US media tells him.)

Japan (led by a hard right-wing government that likes to deny Japanese war crimes in China)
    recently has taken unilateral actions to reinforce its occupation of a disputed island claimed by China.
    The US media did not criticize Japan, and the US government seems to approve of Japan's action.