Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 13 Feb '16 22:52
    For those outside the US, Scalia is a conservative judge appointed by Reagan.

He will now be replaced by an Obama appointee.
  2. 13 Feb '16 23:03
    Originally posted by techsouth

Party at the White House!

How was he murdered?
  3. 13 Feb '16 23:04

Bad news. All the more reason that a Conservative be elected President to restore the balance before the next SCOTUS death.
  4. 13 Feb '16 23:09
    Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth commence.
  5. 13 Feb '16 23:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Bad news. All the more reason that a Conservative be elected President to restore the balance before the next SCOTUS death.
    Balance?

Mhahahaha!!

Scalia was more of an annoyance than a balance.
  6. 13 Feb '16 23:11 / 1 edit
    The tard patrol will be along just any second to nominate Bernie Sanders or Hillary to the Supreme Court.
  7. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    13 Feb '16 23:11
    Yeah how about Eric Holder or some other commie social justice warrior? I think the GOP needs to stall until next year.
  8. 13 Feb '16 23:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Yeah how about Eric Holder or some other commie social justice warrior? I think the GOP needs to stall until next year.
    Eric Holder? Excellent choice!

Even better, how about Al not so Sharpton?

At least the stooge could entertain us.
  9. 13 Feb '16 23:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    Balance?

Mhahahaha!!

Scalia was more of an annoyance than a balance.
    I guarantee Obama's choice will be worse.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    13 Feb '16 23:19
    He was a terrible Justice and a bit of a jerk, but my condolences to his family.
  11. 13 Feb '16 23:20
    So long as they hold the majority in the Senate, there is no rush to confirm. Note how the Democrat controlled Senate held up appointments by GWB. I hope the Rs develop some stones.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    13 Feb '16 23:31
    So long as they hold the majority in the Senate, there is no rush to confirm. Note how the Democrat controlled Senate held up appointments by GWB. I hope the Rs develop some stones.
    John Roberts was confirmed less than three weeks after he was nominated in 2005. Samuel Alito took 2 1/2 months. http://loc.gov/law/find/court-confirmed.php

So you are insisting on a partisan delay that has been quite atypical historically. None of the Justices nominated since 1971 took more than 3 months and a week to be voted on by the Senate. A delay of almost a year would hardly be keeping with established practice.
  13. 13 Feb '16 23:35
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    John Roberts was confirmed less than three weeks after he was nominated in 2005. Samuel Alito took 2 1/2 months. http://loc.gov/law/find/court-confirmed.php

So you are insisting on a partisan delay that has been quite atypical historically. None of the Justices nominated since 1971 took more than 3 months and a week to be voted on by the Senate. A delay of almost a year would hardly be keeping with established practice.
    Neither Roberts, nor Alito were first choices of then President Bush. I hope Senate Republicans remember to approve who Barry decides to name, before that person is named.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    13 Feb '16 23:44
    Neither Roberts, nor Alito were first choices of then President Bush. I hope Senate Republicans remember to approve who Barry decides to name, before that person is named.
    Roberts was GWB's first choice to replace Justice Sandra O'Connor who retired July 1st, 2005. He was nominated on July 19th, but while he was awaiting confirmation Chief Justice Rehnquist died on September 3rd and Bush promptly requested that Roberts be considered for the now vacant Chief Justice position. He was confirmed only three weeks later.

Bush did not nominate anyone for the O'Connor vacancy after Roberts' nomination was upgraded until October 3rd when he nominated Harriet Miers. She withdrew October 27th and Alito was nominated a few days later. He was confirmed by the Senate exactly three months later. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush_Supreme_Court_candidates

So there were no untoward delays of GWB's nominees.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    13 Feb '16 23:52
    It seems highly likely that next year's Senate is going to be Democratic as the Republicans have to defend 25 seats and the Democrats only 10 this year so a 4 or 5 seat swing seems probable barring another "wave" election like 2010. They could do the partisan gamble but it might very well backfire.

A more responsible way to go about it might be to negotiate with Obama and seek to have him appoint some type of conservative Democrat or even a centrist Republican sitting judge.