Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    19 Mar '11 11:55 / 1 edit
    Utah designates Browning M1911 official state firearm

Utah has become the first US state to designate an official state firearm.

The Browning M1911 joins the state fossil (allosaurus), fruit (cherry), gem (topaz), bird (sea gull) and other symbols with official designation.

The gun was designed by Utah native John Browning. The law's sponsor said it symbolised freedom and empowerment.

Opponents said it was inappropriate to glorify a firearm, citing the January mass shooting at a congresswoman's constituent event in nearby Arizona.

The rest here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12792633

==========================================

Does reaction to this break down pretty much as a Left - Right thing?
  2. 19 Mar '11 12:05
    Originally posted by FMF

Does reaction to this break down pretty much as a Left - Right thing?
    I don't really care for "official symbols". I guess that makes me ambidextrous.
  3. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    19 Mar '11 14:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Utah designates Browning M1911 official state firearm

The Browning M1911 joins the state fossil (allosaurus), fruit (cherry), gem (topaz), bird (sea gull) and other symbols with official designation.

The gun was designed by Utah native John Browning. The law's sponsor said ...[text shortened]... =====================

Does reaction to this break down pretty much as a Left - Right thing?[/b]
    I would think, in these days of budget deficits, unemployment, and falling housing prices, the Utah State Government would have something more constructive to do than designate an official state firearm. Not exactly the highest and best use of there time.
  4. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    19 Mar '11 14:36
    Originally posted by FMF

The gun was designed by Utah native John Browning. The law's sponsor said ...[text shortened]... =====================

It breaks down along lines of irrelevancy, really. There are hundreds and thousands of official this or that's in all 50 states, none of them causing so much as a ripple in even the small ponds from which they emanate. Does the sea gull get a special parking space, or other bragging rights?

I think by recognizing the accomplishments of a native-born son AND acknowledging man's need for empowerment Utah is killing two gulls with one stone... so to speak.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    20 Mar '11 23:16
    Originally posted by FMF

I'd say it's about as relevant as the cherry being named as the state fruit.
  6. 21 Mar '11 00:55
    Originally posted by FMF

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/usa/news/article_1621521.php/Arizona-wants-Colt-as-official-state-firearm-despite-slaying
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Mar '11 01:01
    Originally posted by sh76
    I'd say it's about as relevant as the cherry being named as the state fruit.
    I don't see how choosing a cherry could be divisive.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    21 Mar '11 01:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't see how choosing a cherry could be divisive.
    Tell that to George Washington.

You think he was chopping down those cherry trees for fun?
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Mar '11 05:13
    Originally posted by sh76
    Tell that to George Washington.

You think he was chopping down those cherry trees for fun?
    Are the designations of 'State Symbols' usually manipulated for partisan reasons?
  10. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    21 Mar '11 08:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Are the designations of 'State Symbols' usually manipulated for partisan reasons?
    ...something like poetry readings and willie waving venues, so just suck it up.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Mar '11 08:26
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    ...something like poetry readings and willie waving venues, so just suck it up.
    Yes, just suck up the arts spending, Wajoma, and the defence spending and the law and order spending and the safety net for the poor spending. It gets decided/promoted/opposed by way of the democratic process. So 'divisive' and/or 'consensus' (and everything in between) is par for the course there. But a 'state' or 'provincial' "symbol" being partisan/party political thing? Seems strange.
  12. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    21 Mar '11 08:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes, just suck up the arts spending, Wajoma, and the defence spending and the law and order spending and the safety net for the poor spending. It gets decided/promoted/opposed by way of the democratic process. So 'divisive' and/or 'consensus' (and everything in between) is par for the course there. But a 'state' or 'provincial' "symbol" being partisan/party political thing? Seems strange.
    There's no difference, it's no more 'strange' than culture according to the state.
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Mar '11 08:36
    There's no difference, it's no more 'strange' than culture according to the state.
    Of course it's different.

I got to be careful here that I don't ask you any questions about what you believe because you might just disappear.
  14. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    21 Mar '11 08:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Of course it's different.

I got to be careful here that I don't ask you any questions about what you believe because you might just disappear.
    Hey I'll disappear anytime I like whether you're careful or not.

Previously the question was "Was it right or was it wrong?" not the intricacies of how to implement user pays i.e. you use it you pay for it, you don't use it you don't pay for it, which in the cowboy poetry example nothing could be more simple especially not the vaugaries of the current tax collection and allocation system. Is there any point in discussing those things if you don't believe there's somethig wrong going on in the first place. Go pull somebody elses strings I'm not connected.

And if you can't see there is no difference, that it's just another case of values being assigned whether you like it or not, whether it's by 51% of the pop or a single dictator then the only explanation is willful blindness.
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Mar '11 12:02
    Hey I'll disappear anytime I like whether you're careful or not.
    Of course you will, Wajoma. But questions about your beliefs often seems to make you skulk off. There is a pattern.