Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    21 Dec '13 12:03
    From the District Court ruling in Kitchen v. Herbert announced yesterday:

    the court finds that Amendment 3 bears no rational
    relationship to any legitimate state interests and therefore fails rational basis review.


    With the New Mexico Supreme Court also ruling gay marriage bans unconstitutional on Thursday, 18 States now recognize the inherent marriage rights of gay couples. For whatever reason, Utah State officials failed to request a stay of the ruling and hundreds of gay couples in that State rushed to County Clerk offices, obtained marriage licenses and were married.

    Gay marriages in Utah ........................................ who would have thought? Progress is leaving old prejudices and those who still hold them behind at an ever increasing pace.
  2. 21 Dec '13 12:09
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    From the District Court ruling in Kitchen v. Herbert announced yesterday:

    the court finds that Amendment 3 bears no rational
    relationship to any legitimate state interests and therefore fails rational basis review.


    With the New Mexico Supreme Court also ruling gay marriage bans unconstitutional on Thursday, 18 States now recog ...[text shortened]... gress is leaving old prejudices and those who still hold them behind at an ever increasing pace.
    Wow - pretty amazing! Thanks for brightening up a rather depressing December afternoon with that news.
  3. 21 Dec '13 15:27
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    From the District Court ruling in Kitchen v. Herbert announced yesterday:

    the court finds that Amendment 3 bears no rational
    relationship to any legitimate state interests and therefore fails rational basis review.


    With the New Mexico Supreme Court also ruling gay marriage bans unconstitutional on Thursday, 18 States now recog ...[text shortened]... gress is leaving old prejudices and those who still hold them behind at an ever increasing pace.
    By the same reasoning one should be able to marry their Grandpa and get his social security when he passes. These gay fellers have it all figured out I'm telling ya!!!!!!!!!
  4. 21 Dec '13 15:39
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    By the same reasoning one should be able to marry their Grandpa and get his social security when he passes. These gay fellers have it all figured out I'm telling ya!!!!!!!!!
    yes apparently its termed 'progress'
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    21 Dec '13 15:52
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes apparently its termed 'progress'
    The abolition of irrational discrimination is certainly progress.
  6. 21 Dec '13 15:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The abolition of irrational discrimination is certainly progress.
    Including the government in anything is deemed progress by progressives. In fact, they wish to have government remain in the bedroom to prevent polygamists in Utah from marrying.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    21 Dec '13 15:59
    Originally posted by whodey
    Including the government in anything is deemed progress by progressives. In fact, they wish to have government remain in the bedroom to prevent polygamists in Utah from marrying.
    Ending the discriminatory, irrational ban on gay marriage reduces government power.
  8. 21 Dec '13 16:07
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Ending the discriminatory, irrational ban on gay marriage reduces government power.
    No, ending state sanctioned marriage reduces government power.

    All you have done is increase entitlements, the only thing progressives know how to do.
  9. 21 Dec '13 17:18 / 5 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The abolition of irrational discrimination is certainly progress.
    I don't think its rational at all to legislate in favour of a practice that is primarily responsible for the highest ever recorded figures for HIV among gay men since records began, namely sodomy. In fact, I think that such legislation merely encourages it, don't you? Would you also like to see the abolition of discrimination against other practices which are known to be essentially destructive, in the name of progress of course?
  10. 21 Dec '13 17:23 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I don't think its rational at all to legislate in favour of a practice that is primarily responsible for the highest ever recorded figures for HIV among gay men since records began, namely sodomy. In fact, I think that such legislation merely encourages it, don't you? Would you also like to see discrimination against other practices which are known to be destructive, in the name of progress of course?
    Progressives have spoken Robbie.

    Just so long as you share your private parts with only one other consenting adult the state will sanction such a sex act.

    However, polygamists are just plain yucky!!

    Also, platonic relationships are inferior to sexual ones and should not be sanctioned.
  11. 21 Dec '13 17:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Progressives have spoken Robbie.

    Just so long as you share your private parts with only one other consenting adult the state will sanction such a sex act.

    However, polygamists are just plain yucky!!
    I thought there used to be legislation preventing sodomy, is this all done away with now? Is that really progress? I think its empirically demonstrable that sodomy is harmful, at least in the studies i have looked at.
  12. 21 Dec '13 17:26
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I thought there used to be legislation preventing sodomy, is this all done away with now? Is that really progress?
    LOL.

    There is also legislation about illegal immigration, before Obama defied it with Executive Orders.

    There is also legislation about unlawful search and seizure, before the days of the NSA and NDAA.

    I think you will find that the US is a post-Constitutional society. People are either ignorant of it or simply don't give a damn so long as they are getting free Obama phones.
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    21 Dec '13 21:10
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I thought there used to be legislation preventing sodomy, is this all done away with now? Is that really progress? I think its empirically demonstrable that sodomy is harmful, at least in the studies i have looked at.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_v._Texas

    I think it's none of the government's concern to tell people what sexual practices they may or may not adopt.
  14. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    21 Dec '13 21:30
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_v._Texas

    I think it's none of the government's concern to tell people what sexual practices they may or may not adopt.
    Within boundaries, where I'm sure we'd find common ground, I agree.
  15. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    21 Dec '13 22:01
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Within boundaries, where I'm sure we'd find common ground, I agree.
    The boundary is:

    Consenting adults.