Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 03 Feb '15 11:30
    I've been thinking about giving up meat because of the cruelty to animals during the slaughter process and some farming techniques .Being an Atheist/Humanitarian I emphasise with the feelings of other animals and cannot hide behind the concept of a "soul" in order to differentiate their emotional status from ours (all be it less developed).I would appreciate members views.
  2. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    03 Feb '15 11:46
    Originally posted by OdBod
    I've been thinking about giving up meat because of the cruelty to animals during the slaughter process and some farming techniques .Being an Atheist/Humanitarian I emphasise with the feelings of other animals and cannot hide behind the concept of a "soul" in order to differentiate their emotional status from ours (all be it less developed).I would appreciate members views.
    its a dilemma / Quorn makes really tasty Bacon, sausage, Chicken pieces,Meat pies etc they are 99.9% vegitairian but do use a small amount of egg white as a binding agent,I reckon they are the best meat free alternative on the market.
  3. 03 Feb '15 11:52 / 1 edit
    Be sure to give up milk, and battery produced eggs too. I would join you if I was a better cook and knew how to make good healthy meals without meat. I also don't have a good alternative to milk for my coffee.
  4. 03 Feb '15 11:56
    I've been thinking about giving up meat because of the cruelty to animals during the slaughter process and some farming techniques.
    Although I share your concerns, one question that has often plagued me, is what to do about wild animals. Should we euthanize most predators for the sake of reducing the suffering of game animals? Or is suffering less of a concern when we do not directly cause it? These are not questions I expect you to have an answer for, just something to think about.
  5. 03 Feb '15 12:03
    I switched to a vegan diet and have never felt healthier. We are conscience of inflicting suffering on others. This appears to me to be the essence of spirituality. I gave up fishing too because it appeared to me that sticking a hook through a worm was rather cruel and battering fishes over the head was not much less cruel either. However when we observe nature we see what appears to us to be cruelty. The hawk who tears it prey to pieces etc etc What can we say, that the hawk is conscience of inflicting pain? that its hunger overrides any sympathy that it might feel? Hard to say, all we have is our own perspective and we should be sensitive to the suffering of others, if not, we are dead inside.
  6. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    03 Feb '15 12:04
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Although I share your concerns, one question that has often plagued me, is what to do about wild animals. Should we euthanize most predators for the sake of reducing the suffering of game animals? Or is suffering less of a concern when we do not directly cause it? These are not questions I expect you to have an answer for, just something to think about.
    nature is red in tooth and claw/I think we should not try to moralise what is in fact a natural process.
  7. 03 Feb '15 12:05
    Originally posted by redbadger
    its a dilemma / Quorn makes really tasty Bacon, sausage, Chicken pieces,Meat pies etc they are 99.9% vegitairian but do use a small amount of egg white as a binding agent,I reckon they are the best meat free alternative on the market.
    I would love to eat Quorn but I cannot because of this egg additive. Its always annoyed me that they are allowed to promote it as vegetarian. Since when was an egg a vegetable?
  8. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    03 Feb '15 13:03
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I would love to eat Quorn but I cannot because of this egg additive. Its always annoyed me that they are allowed to promote it as vegetarian. Since when was an egg a vegetable?
    my wife works for Quorn and they are working towards an egg free alternative, in most countries its sold as a meat free alternative and not Veggie or Vegan.I would eat it but alas I am allergic to it.
  9. 03 Feb '15 13:13
    Originally posted by redbadger
    my wife works for Quorn and they are working towards an egg free alternative, in most countries its sold as a meat free alternative and not Veggie or Vegan.I would eat it but alas I am allergic to it.
    allergic to it? ouch! hopefully they find an egg free alternative.
  10. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    03 Feb '15 13:28 / 1 edit
    allergic to it? ouch! hopefully they find an egg free alternative.
    not the egg the Bacteria that is Quorn/eaten it 3 times puked 3 times so bad it blacked my eyes . about 1 in 1000 cant tolerate it/lets face it ,it was originaly made as cattle and pig food by ICI.
  11. 03 Feb '15 14:59 / 2 edits
    I switched to a vegan diet and have never felt healthier. We are conscience of inflicting suffering on others. This appears to me to be the essence of spirituality. I gave up fishing too because it appeared to me that sticking a hook through a worm was rather cruel and battering fishes over the head was not much less cruel either. However when we ...[text shortened]... n perspective and we should be sensitive to the suffering of others, if not, we are dead inside.
    If you are worried about the suffering of animals, a low-meat diet is probably better than a vegetarian/vegan diet because of the indirect ways one hurts animals by eating food.

The other day I was in a restaurant with some colleagues, one of which is a vegan, and she ordered a salad or something. The salad came with some cream on top, which she did not eat, despite knowing that doing so would save animals. That's the funny thing with vegans (and people in general really) - often the principle is more important to them than the goal they are trying to achieve through the principle.
  12. 03 Feb '15 16:57
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    If you are worried about the suffering of animals, a low-meat diet is probably better than a vegetarian/vegan diet because of the indirect ways one hurts animals by eating food.

The other day I was in a restaurant with some colleagues, one of which is a vegan, and she ordered a salad or something. The salad came with some cream on top, which she did ...[text shortened]... nciple is more important to them than the goal they are trying to achieve through the principle.
    I am not worried about it, I can only do what I can within my own sphere of influence. I don't eat meat because it makes me feel sick, as do eggs.

Forgive me for asking but how does your friends not eating cream on her salad save animals.
  13. 03 Feb '15 17:05
    I switched to a vegan diet and have never felt healthier. We are conscience of inflicting suffering on others. This appears to me to be the essence of spirituality. I gave up fishing too because it appeared to me that sticking a hook through a worm was rather cruel and battering fishes over the head was not much less cruel either. However when we ...[text shortened]... n perspective and we should be sensitive to the suffering of others, if not, we are dead inside.
    I ate lacto-vegetarian for a number of years (I never gave up milk or eggs). I've returned to my carnivorous ways, but don't feel compelled to eat meat at every meal, or in the quantities I used to consume.

I feel no guilt, whether I hunted the game myself, or bought it at the store.
  14. 03 Feb '15 17:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I ate lacto-vegetarian for a number of years (I never gave up milk or eggs). I've returned to my carnivorous ways, but don't feel compelled to eat meat at every meal, or in the quantities I used to consume.

I feel no guilt, whether I hunted the game myself, or bought it at the store.
    There is no rational basis for killing animals for food. That you feel no guilt is perhaps symptomatic of a defunct conscience.
  15. 03 Feb '15 17:21
    There is no rational basis for killing animals for food. That you feel no guilt is perhaps symptomatic of a defunct conscience.
    The rational basis is the design of our eating machinery. We are omnivorous, which includes meat, fish and poultry. On some parts of the planet, humans can't subsist on the veggies grown there, although most make an effort to grow some.

Attempting to impose your conscience on others is deplorable, and may be symptomatic of something else.