Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 12:41
    https://www.wivb.com/news/world/venezuela-s-maduro-blames-far-right-for-attack/1347001176

Who is this alt. right character? He must be a real so and so.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 12:421 edit
    From wiki:

The alt-right, or alternative right, is a loosely-connected and somewhat ill-defined[1] grouping of white supremacists/white nationalists, neo-Nazis, neo-fascists, neo-Confederates, Holocaust deniers, and other far-right[2][3][4] fringe hate groups.[5][6]

Alt-right beliefs have been described as isolationist, protectionist, antisemitic and white supremacist,[7][8][9] frequently overlapping with neo-Nazism,[10][11][12][13] identitarianism,[14] nativism and Islamophobia,[15][16][17][18][19] antifeminism, misogyny and homophobia,[10][20][21][22][13] right-wing populism[23][24] and the neoreactionary movement.[7][25] The concept has further been associated with several groups such as American nationalists, paleoconservatives, anarcho-capitalists, national-anarchists,[26] paleolibertarians, Christian fundamentalists, neo-monarchists, men's rights advocates and the 2016 presidential campaign of Donald Trump.[15][24][25][27][28][14]

White supremacist[29] Richard B. Spencer initially promoted the term in 2010 in reference to a movement centered on white nationalism and according to the Associated Press did so to disguise overt racism, white supremacism, neo-fascism and neo-Nazism.[30][31][32] The term drew considerable media attention and controversy during and after the 2016 United States presidential election.[33] The Trump administration has included several figures who are associated with the alt-right, such as Senior Advisor to the President Stephen Miller, Special Assistant to the President Julia Hahn, former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn, former Deputy Assistant to the President Sebastian Gorka and former White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon.[34][35][36][37][38][39] In 2016, Bannon described Breitbart as "the platform for the alt-right", with the goal of promoting the ideology.[40] After Trump's election, other Republican candidates for office, such as Roy Moore, Corey Stewart, Josh Mandel, Joe Arpaio and Paul Nehlen, ran with the support of the movement.[41][42][43][44][45][46] On the other hand, Republicans and conservatives such as Ben Shapiro and Cory Gardner[47] and members of the conservative Heritage Foundation[48] have condemned the alt-right for its racism, antisemitism and prejudice.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 12:452 edits
    I had no idea there were so many white supremacist Nazis in Venezuela.

Who knew?

Additionally, I'm tired of people using terms like "alt. right" to marginalize all of their political opponents.

They may as well include in the definition; "Their knuckles drag the ground as they walk and they like to pop their black heads off on their bathroom mirrors" and then use that term on every political opponent you encounter.

So why is there no alt. Left? Who engineers these terms? I suppose it is a one sided media is who is doing this, coupled with a complicit Left wing academia.
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 13:252 edits
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I had no idea there were so many white supremacist Nazis in Venezuela.

Who knew?

Additionally, I'm tired of people using terms like "alt. right" to marginalize all of their political opponents.

They may as well include in the definition; "Their knuckles drag the ground as they walk and they like to pop their black heads off on their bathroom mirrors ...[text shortened]... ppose it is a one sided media is who is doing this, coupled with a complicit Left wing academia.
    whodey: Who engineers these terms? (before blaming the media and "Left wing academia" )

From the link HE provided:

White supremacist[29] Richard B. Spencer initially promoted the term in 2010 in reference to a movement centered on white nationalism
  5. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 13:27
    https://www.wivb.com/news/world/venezuela-s-maduro-blames-far-right-for-attack/1347001176

I hate to bother you with facts, but Maduro didn't say anything about the "alt right".
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 13:55
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    I hate to bother you with facts, but Maduro didn't say anything about the "alt right".
    From the article.

(AP) - President Nicolas Maduro is blaming far-right factions in Venezuela for what he is describing as an assassination attempt.

In an address to the nation Saturday, Maduro said: "This was an attempt to kill me. Today they attempted to assassinate me."

He said evidence gathered thus far "points to the far right" working in conjunction with Colombians in the neighboring Andean nation.
  7. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 14:251 edit
    From the article.

(AP) - President Nicolas Maduro is blaming far-right factions in Venezuela for what he is describing as an assassination attempt.

In an address to the nation Saturday, Maduro said: "This was an attempt to kill me. Today they attempted to assassinate me."

He said evidence gathered thus far "points to the far right" working in conjunction with Colombians in the neighboring Andean nation.
    Correct.

The reference to "alt right" is ................................................................ where exactly?

EDIT: If it helps the alt right is a subset of the far right.

Thus, every member of the alt right is a member of the far right BUT

Not every member of the far right is a member of the alt right.

Latin America has had a long history of far right movements that lacked the explicit appeals to white nationalism that are characteristic of the alt right.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 17:301 edit
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Correct.

The reference to "alt right" is ................................................................ where exactly?

EDIT: If it helps the alt right is a subset of the far right.

Thus, every member of the alt right is a member of the far right BUT

Not every member of the far right is a member of the alt right.

...[text shortened]... that lacked the explicit appeals to white nationalism that are characteristic of the alt right.
    Are you suggesting that you can be right wing without being a white racist?

Do tell.

Most Left wingers will laugh at you though.
  9. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 18:09
    Are you suggesting that you can be right wing without being a white racist?

Do tell.

Most Left wingers will laugh at you though.
    Moron.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 01:05

I suspect it was Maduro himself that was behind it. The drone was too high in the air when it exploded to think it was intended to kill Maduro. He is probably trying to shift blame for the economic problems there away from himself and regain support from his diminishing base.

In short, a false flag event.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 02:09
    From wiki:

The alt-right, or alternative right, is a loosely-connected and somewhat ill-defined[1] grouping of white supremacists/white nationalists, neo-Nazis, neo-fascists, neo-Confederates, Holocaust deniers, and other far-right[2][3][4] fringe hate groups.[5][6]

Alt-right beliefs have been described as isolationist, protectionist, antisemitic and ...[text shortened]... Heritage Foundation[48] have condemned the alt-right for its racism, antisemitism and prejudice.
    Hey, if you're not going to give us all the footnotes, then please, for the love of God, take half a second to remove their citation numbers from your cut and paste.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 02:131 edit
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    I suspect it was Maduro himself that was behind it. The drone was too high in the air when it exploded to think it was intended to kill Maduro. He is probably trying to shift blame for the economic problems there away from himself and regain support from his diminishing base.

In short, a false flag event.
    Everything's a 'false flag' to those who don't want to bother with critical thinking.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 07:04
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Everything's a 'false flag' to those who don't want to bother with critical thinking.
    The fact it was rather far from POTV indicates to me it was not meant to kill but to send a message and it is up in the air whether it was in fact done by pres himself. It could be either way, incompetent assassines or caused by pres himself far enough away to only make for a show. The question now is will pres hunker down deep inside his palace or will he continue making public appearances? If the latter, and no more attempts are done on his life, perhaps the theory it was a set up might gain traction.

Who knows, Venezuela is in deep doo doo right now, inflation through the roof, 25% unemployment, this can set the stage for revolution or impeachment if there is such a then in Venezuela.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 15:15
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    You are the one who is not bothering with critical thinking. The drone was hardly even moving and it was too high in the air to kill anyone.
    If the goal was to kill Maduro the drone would have been moving quickly toward him when it exploded and it was not.
    If you can prove somebody was trying to shoot it down when it exploded I will reconsider. I havn't heard that though. Have you?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 15:37
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    You are the one who is not bothering with critical thinking. The drone was hardly even moving and it was too high in the air to kill anyone.
    If the goal was to kill Maduro the drone would have been moving quickly toward him when it exploded and it was not.
    If you can prove somebody was trying to shoot it down when it exploded I will reconsider. I havn't heard that though. Have you?
    That aspect does sound suspicious. I also saw his reaction which was a bit of a jerking but I would think viewing a real threat he would have ducked right to the ground maybe grab for his loved ones if they were near, daughter, wife, son, whatever. But he didn't duck down or anything just stood the kinda like he knew what was happening all along. Maybe not but it looked a bit like a set up.