Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 24 Jan '10 16:25 / 1 edit
    "The Venezuelan government has taken six cable television channels off the air for breaking a law on transmitting government material.

The privately owned RCTV International, openly opposed to President Hugo Chavez, is one of those affected.

On Saturday the government had ordered RCTV to televise a government message, but the channel refused to comply.

The communications director for RCTV, Gladys Zapain, told AFP there was "no prior notification" of the move.

Last week RCTV, along with 23 other cable channels, was redefined by the government as a national, rather than international broadcaster.

As such, the channels would now be expected to carry presidential addresses and government campaign material in what is an election year in Venezuela."

" ........................ "

"Opposition groups accuse Mr Chavez of trying to control the media and prevent coverage of political discontent."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8477428.stm

Is Chavez doing the right thing ? ... or is he going too far ?
  2. Standard member monster truck
    Walleye Guy
    24 Jan '10 17:08
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    "The Venezuelan government has taken six cable television channels off the air for breaking a law on transmitting government material.

The privately owned RCTV International, openly opposed to President Hugo Chavez, is one of those affected.

On Saturday the government had ordered RCTV to televise a government message, but the channel refused to comply ...[text shortened]... **********************

Seems to me it's just the next logical step.

You can't blame him.
    We certainly don't want those damn corporations interfering in politics.
  3. 24 Jan '10 17:48

On Saturday the government had ordered RCTV to televise a government message, but the channel refused to comply ...[text shortened]... **********************

the situation in venezuela is ridiculous, the man in charge seems to be completely ignorant of how civilized countries work.
  4. 24 Jan '10 19:04
    Just another step in the direction of dictatorship.
  5. 25 Jan '10 01:18
    time for VOA to step in!!!

oh, wait .... the Big Man's on Chavez' side ....
  6. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    25 Jan '10 01:28
    We're so much better off here in the US where Disney, Viacom, TimeWarner, News Corporation, and General Electric together own more than 90% of the media holdings in the United States.

You people are a bunch of idiots. Quit worrying about Venezuela and start worrying about the concentration of media ownership in the supposedly "free" world.
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    25 Jan '10 01:46
    Originally posted by rwingett
    We're so much better off here in the US where Disney, Viacom, TimeWarner, News Corporation, and General Electric together own more than 90% of the media holdings in the United States.

You people are a bunch of idiots. Quit worrying about Venezuela and start worrying about the concentration of media ownership in the supposedly "free" world.
    Gee....

Five publicly traded companies holding 90% (I'll take your word for it, for now)

vs.

One clown controlling 100%

Good comparison.
  8. Standard member expuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    25 Jan '10 02:12
    Dosn't Chavez just want what is best for his country ?
  9. 25 Jan '10 03:33

There is no question Chavez is simply strengthening his grip on power by quelching dissent and free speech. It is an all-too familiar story in Latin America's history where a strong executive ammasses power and commits atrocities, condemned by all sides on the international arean, usually, except of course when a leftist takes over there are some well-meaning leftists who excuse him but thereby cause more harm than good. Politics aside, all people should condemn his power-grab.
  10. 25 Jan '10 03:44

i told them they should go out and buy a copy of American Idiot and give it a listen, but well, obviously they would rather not. i dont agree with most things you say Ringy dude, but this is one of them.
  11. 25 Jan '10 03:45
    Originally posted by expuddlepirate
    Dosn't Chavez just want what is best for his country ?
    yes a fact often over looked by those who wish to exploit his nation for their own ends.
  12. 25 Jan '10 03:47

First the White House bans Fox news and now this. Will it never end?
  13. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    25 Jan '10 03:50
    Originally posted by sh76
    Gee....

Five publicly traded companies holding 90% (I'll take your word for it, for now)

vs.

One clown controlling 100%

Good comparison.
    So you've got five masters instead of one. That just makes you the epitome of freedom and democracy, doesn't it?
  14. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    25 Jan '10 03:52
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i told them they should go out and buy a copy of American Idiot and give it a listen, but well, obviously they would rather not. i dont agree with most things you say Ringy dude, but this is one of them.
    I know that you secretly agree with me on virtually everything, but you just can't bring yourself to publicly admit it yet. It's OK. These things take time, I know.
  15. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    25 Jan '10 03:53
    So you've got five masters instead of one. That just makes you the epitome of freedom and democracy, doesn't it?
    Turn your tv off, that makes 1 master - yourself.