Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 Jan '15 04:19
    Here we go again...

CRIPPLING AND POTENTIALLY HISTORIC BLIZZARD

LIFE-THREATENING CONDITIONS

"Prepare for the Worst"

Geez! I mean, I get it. They want to keep people off the roads. Great.

But they're going to kill more people with heart attacks than they save if they keep screaming about how we're all going to die.

It's going to snow. We get it. It happens. It's not that big a deal. In Buffalo, they call this sort of storm "Tuesday." Stop elevating people's blood pressure by getting hysterical.
  2. Standard member vivify
    rain
    26 Jan '15 06:30 / 1 edit
    It's better to err on the side of caution. Ever since Katrina, these hyperbolic warnings are sort of a welcomed nuisance; like loud annoying dogs who keep burglars at bay in a dangerous neighborhood.
  3. 26 Jan '15 07:52
    Originally posted by sh76
    Stop elevating people's blood pressure by getting hysterical.
    You'll have to blame the news system. Scare stories sell better.
    If you want to stop exaggerated story telling on the news, you have to change the financial model.
  4. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    26 Jan '15 08:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You'll have to blame the news system. Scare stories sell better.
    If you want to stop exaggerated story telling on the news, you have to change the financial model.
    "...change the financial model"?

I'm almost afraid to ask.

What's wrong with; don't consume media that you don't like.
  5. 26 Jan '15 09:06
    Here we go again...

"Prepare for the Worst"

But they're going to kill more people with heart attacks than they save if they keep screaming about how we're all going to die.

It's going to snow. We get ...[text shortened]... call this sort of storm "Tuesday." Stop elevating people's blood pressure by getting hysterical.
    until i hear the first muppet to die because the weather forecast is scary, i will consider this. until then, the other muppets, the one who are suicidal lemmings, can benefit from this alarmist way to report the weather.
  6. 26 Jan '15 11:46
    Here we go again...

"Prepare for the Worst"

It's going to snow. We get ...[text shortened]... call this sort of storm "Tuesday." Stop elevating people's blood pressure by getting hysterical.
    We're all gonna die!!

Damn global warming!

Sh, I say give the local weather man a break, this is his bread and butter. Not only does he finally get some ratings, he gets to go play in the white stuff a bit while getting out of the office. It's like Christmas for them.

So as they get out their yard stick while live on the air and interview unsuspecting unfortunate passers by as to their "plight", just remember, this is how he puts food on the table.
  7. 26 Jan '15 14:46
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    What's wrong with; don't consume media that you don't like.
    It results in scare stories. Despite what sh76 says in the OP, the truth is that he is more likely to read (and thus encourage the production of) scare stories than non-scare stories.
    The media you choose to consume is not necessarily the media you think you would like to consume.
    Hence my suggestion that the financial model be changed.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    26 Jan '15 14:53
    Here we go again...

"Prepare for the Worst"

Two foot snowstorms aren't common even in Buffalo. The record for NYC is 26.9 inches and this one may top it. There is reason for concern and to heed the advice of the Weather Service and not travel unless you absolutely have to.

If those headlines are from the Post or Daily News, what else would you expect?
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 Jan '15 15:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Two foot snowstorms aren't common even in Buffalo. The record for NYC is 26.9 inches and this one may top it. There is reason for concern and to heed the advice of the Weather Service and not travel unless you absolutely have to.

If those headlines are from the Post or Daily News, what else would you expect?
    Yes, I know. Though the headlines are actually from weather.com (they also have an incentive to dramaticize the weather).

Sure, they should try to keep people off the roads (though, honestly, which idiot is driving in a 3 inch/hour blizzard anyway, unless they absolutely have to?).

It's just a pet peeve of mine when these reporters scream about the weather. It's stressful enough worrying about whether to send my kids to school today and figuring out who is going to shovel the driveway and whether we have enough food if we're snowed in and to make emergency plans in case we lose power without having the talking heads screaming about how deadly and crippling the storm will be.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    26 Jan '15 15:28
    Yes, I know. Though the headlines are actually from weather.com (they also have an incentive to dramaticize the weather).

Sure, they should try to keep people off the roads (though, honestly, which idiot is driving in a 3 inch/hour blizzard anyway, unless they absolutely have to?).

It's just a pet peeve of mine when these reporters scream about the weathe ...[text shortened]... wer without having the talking heads screaming about how deadly and crippling the storm will be.
    Luckily there'll be record highs on the West Coast. http://www.weather.com/forecast/national/news/mild-midwest-warm-west-record-highs#/1

Though that'll be life threatening, too.
  11. 26 Jan '15 15:39
    http://lifehacker.com/this-map-shows-the-amount-of-snow-it-takes-to-cancel-sc-1680653855

How serious snow is depends on how used to it the population is. Places which normally have heavy snow, are well prepared.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    26 Jan '15 15:52
    http://lifehacker.com/this-map-shows-the-amount-of-snow-it-takes-to-cancel-sc-1680653855

How serious snow is depends on how used to it the population is. Places which normally have heavy snow, are well prepared.
    Just two months ago, there were 13 deaths in Buffalo caused by a major snowstorm and they "normally have heavy snow, are well prepared". http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/21/us/winter-weather/
  13. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    26 Jan '15 16:20
    California is still beautiful
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 Jan '15 16:37 / 1 edit

I don't care how used to it you are, you don't drive in a 3 inch/hr blizzard unless you're taking your 9 month pregnant wife with contractions to the emergency room or some such thing.

During Winter Storm Nemo a few years back, you had idiots driving to shopping malls in the middle of a blizzard and of course many of them got stranded or into accidents.

I guess that's why the weather reporters have to talk to us like we're naughty children whenever we get a winter storm...
  15. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    26 Jan '15 17:28
    I don't care how used to it you are, you don't drive in a 3 inch/hr blizzard unless you're taking your 9 month pregnant wife with contractions to the emergency room or some such thing.

During Winter Storm Nemo a few years back, you had idiots driving to shopping malls in the middle of a blizzard and of course many of them got stranded or into accidents.

I ...[text shortened]... ather reporters have to talk to us like we're naughty children whenever we get a winter storm...
    The problem with the increasing tendency to overdramatise everything is that at some point there will be a serious weather event predicted and people will need to heed the warnings and won't because of the previous cries of "Ave lupe".