Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Jun '15 19:441 edit
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    I did check into this and discovered their father was a chess teacher, and not a GM as you so pointedly pointed out. I don't resent you pointing this out nearly as much as you seem to relish the opportunity to point out someones error and call them ignorant.

And it appears you are [b]still
    ignorant of what the word ignorant can mean to someone who is not of your own ethnicity or political persuasion.[/b]
    Lemon Lime never has *gracefully* admitted his obvious error. (It's obvious to anyone
    who was knowledgeable about the Polgar family in the world of chess.) Instead, the troll
    Lemon Lime's belated 'concession' has come with his diversionary personal attacks.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    14 Jun '15 04:25
    Originally posted by AppleChess
    Blacks constitute about 13 percent of the population [in America], yet between 1976 and 2005 they committed more than half of all murders in the U.S....
    Statistics like this are implicitly racist - they want the reader to infer
    that the murders are caused because the perpetrator is black.

If this was the case you would see similar statistics in
    black communities around the world.

Why not look at those statistics from a socio-economic point of view?

I wonder what percentage of black lawyers commit murder?
    Any different to the percentage of white lawyers?
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    14 Jun '15 18:433 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

If this was the case you would see similar statistics in
    black communities around the world.

Why not look at those statistics from a socio-economic point of view?

I wonder what percentage of black lawyers commit murder?
    Any different to the percentage of white lawyers?

Pure Tauroscat! If citing statistical differences of blacks is racist, then any statistical data regarding any demographic group anywhere is also racist, sexist or whatever ism you want to apply.

Whatever the other reasons for a demographic being overly involved in criminality, it does not erase the fact of the criminality. Other demographics in the US have suffered similar, and in some cases, worse discrimination and poverty than black have. And to make matters worse, discrimination and poverty among blacks in America used to be much worse than it now is. Over a half century has passed since the major civil rights legislation, and affirmative action corrected many but not all wrongs, and in the meantime criminality increased.

Nobody citing these statistics is point to race or blackness as the cause. That would be foolish, but to deny the relationship, or to hide it with accusations of racism would be equally foolish. If something is harming the black culture, or race, doesn't it make sense to identify what is that cause?

I can't identify the reason for the links added to my post. My apology.
  4. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 17:082 edits
    Dylann Roof got a new .45 as a present recently

http://gawker.com/classmate-dylann-roof-did-a-lot-of-drugs-made-a-lot-o-1712241426

"I never heard him say anything, but just he had that kind of Southern pride, I guess some would say. Strong conservative beliefs,” he said. “He made a lot of racist jokes, but you don’t really take them seriously like that. You don’t really think of it like that.”