Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '15 13:44
    Originally posted by sh76
    D is correct. "Whom" would have been the proper term.

I was trying to humorously echo RC's post; and somehow, "who" sounded like a better follow up to his "what" than did "whom," but, never mind, I guess.

😕
    Whom, may I ask, is responsible for totally hijacking my thread?
  2. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    21 May '15 13:51
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    This'll get you back on track:

Lefty With a Gun
    For years, I was what we lefties in Texas refer to as, "A bright blue dot in a big red state." I believe in recycling, social services, a woman's right to choose, and immigration. I spent a lot of time defending these things around my red friends, and bemoaning this defense around my fellow blue dots.

And then I bought a gun, and everything changed.

http://www.xojane.com/issues/im-a-lefty-with-a-gun
  3. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    21 May '15 14:41
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    This'll get you back on track:

[b]Lefty With a Gun

For years, I was what we lefties in Texas refer to as, "A bright blue dot in a big red state." I believe in recycling, social services, a woman's right to choose, and immigration. I spent a lot of time defending these things around my red friends, and bemoaning this defense around my fellow blue ...[text shortened]... bought a gun, and everything changed.

http://www.xojane.com/issues/im-a-lefty-with-a-gun[/b]
    Here’s the other dirty truth about shooting a gun: it is as terrifying as it is fun. At least part of the trembling left in my arms when I shoot is the realization that it would be so easy – so simple and easy – to turn out the side of my cubby in the range and shoot someone next to me. It's not an idea I would ever act on, but it is frightening all the same. It’s the same sensation you get when you stand on the edge of a really tall building – or a lookout at the Grand Canyon – and realize how easy it would be to just keep leaning, until you fall.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    21 May '15 14:59
    Don't shoot!!!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '15 15:13
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Here’s the other dirty truth about shooting a gun: it is as terrifying as it is fun. At least part of the trembling left in my arms when I shoot is the realization that it would be so easy – so simple and easy – to turn out the side of my cubby in the range and shoot someone next to me. It's not an idea I would ever act on, but it is frightening al ...[text shortened]... at the Grand Canyon – and realize how easy it would be to just keep leaning, until you fall.
    Note to self:

NEVER go shooting with ATY.
  6. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    21 May '15 16:46
    Note to self:

NEVER go shooting with ATY.
    I didn't post that article. Sleepyguy wanted to get us back on track so he linked to what I quoted.

Anyway you are more likely to get shot by a biker or a little girl with an uzi or maybe your own father if you are a teenage girl sneaking out than by me...going by the news anyway.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '15 16:572 edits
    I didn't post that article. Sleepyguy wanted to get us back on track so he linked to what I quoted.

Anyway you are more likely to get shot by a biker or a little girl with an uzi or maybe your own father if you are a teenage girl sneaking out than by me...going by the news anyway.
    Actually I'm far more likely to be murdered by a black or a mexican than any of those people you mentioned.

YouTube
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    21 May '15 17:04

Well that was written by a self-described lefty, so nonsensical stuff (like being frightened of something she knows she will never do) is expected.
  9. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    21 May '15 17:23
    Actually I'm far more likely to be murdered by a black or a mexican than any of those people you mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBm1z1AyiO8
    It wasnt murder when the little girl machine gunned her instructor.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '15 17:30
    It wasnt murder when the little girl machine gunned her instructor.
    Nobody said it was.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '15 18:321 edit
    I am going to give a personal opinion here. I dont have any qualms about people shooting tin cans, paper targets, glass bottles or any other inanimate object, what i do object to are those so called trophy trophy hunters who kill for so called , 'sport'. I look forward to the day when Deer have weapons and shoot them and hang them on their wall.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 May '15 21:01
    This is awesome....home invasion goes wrong because man had a gun, caught on camera.

YouTube
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    21 May '15 22:212 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I would never use 'whom' in actual conversation whether it is 'correct grammar' or not.
    I might use it in writing as there are sentence structures I would write but never speak where whom sounds better.
    I would certainly say 'who did you shoot?' and not 'whom'.
    In this forum, communication is done through writing, not speech.
    Do you (TWhitehead) like start some of your letters with 'To *who* it may concern' ?

Hitler was a charismatic public speaker and a poor writer, being quite ignorant of
    German spelling and grammar.
  14. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    22 May '15 04:39
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    In this forum, communication is done through writing, not speech.
    Do you (TWhitehead) like start some of your letters with 'To *who* it may concern' ?

Hitler was a charismatic public speaker and a poor writer, being quite ignorant of
    German spelling and grammar.
    Whom gives a crap?
  15. Garner, NC
    Moves
    22 May '15 14:19
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I am going to give a personal opinion here. I dont have any qualms about people shooting tin cans, paper targets, glass bottles or any other inanimate object, what i do object to are those so called trophy trophy hunters who kill for so called , 'sport'. I look forward to the day when Deer have weapons and shoot them and hang them on their wall.
    I look forward to more hunters thinning out the deer population.

Might cut down on Lyme's Disease.