Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 12:43
    Anyone would think they were falling apart because they were leaving EU or something crazy like that.

https://news.sky.com/story/tear-gas-fired-at-furious-protesters-in-france-11561900?
  2. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 20:41
    Two thumbs down, poor France, poor EU stability.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 22:08
    @divegeester said
    Two thumbs down, poor France, poor EU stability.
    Protesting against high fuel prices has what to do with EU?
  4. Germany
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 22:19
    Protests in France? Only on days that end with a "y."
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 22:451 edit
    @kazetnagorra said
    Only on days that end with a "y"? Hmmm, let's think...

lundi, mardi, mercredi, jeudi...

In all seriousness, you did make me laugh.
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    24 Nov '18 22:51
    @divegeester said
    Anyone would think they were falling apart because they were leaving EU or something crazy like that.

https://news.sky.com/story/tear-gas-fired-at-furious-protesters-in-france-11561900?
    Protests in France? Nothing to see here...

My more useful analysis is that the French people are rebelling against Mr Macron's economically right-wing agenda. Considering that I originally (before the scandal) supported François Fillon (who apparently admired Mrs Thatcher) for French president, I do not oppose Mr Macron's agenda. If he can reform the French economy (a nigh impossible task) and restore France's long-lost economic credibility, then I take my hat off to him.
  7. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 07:57
    @wolfgang59 said
    Protesting against high fuel prices has what to do with EU?
    Are you suggesting that the fuel price issue has nothing to do with the french economy and that the French economy has nothing to do with their being a member of the EU?

Have you been following what’s going on with the economies of Spain or Italy and of course of Greece. Yet again?
  8. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 07:58
    @kazetnagorra said
    People don’t die in protests every day in France. What is going on in France is not an every day occurrence.
  9. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 09:05
    @divegeester said
    Are you suggesting that the fuel price issue has nothing to do with the french economy and that the French economy has nothing to do with their being a member of the EU?

Have you been following what’s going on with the economies of Spain or Italy and of course of Greece. Yet again?
    So petrol costs have nothing to do with global economics?

Non-EU countries do not see petrol prices rising and falling at the whims of dictatorships in back-water countries?
  10. Germany
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 09:11
    @ashiitaka said
    Protests in France? Nothing to see here...

My more useful analysis is that the French people are rebelling against Mr Macron's economically right-wing agenda. Considering that I originally (before the scandal) supported François Fillon (who apparently admired Mrs Thatcher) for French president, I do not oppose Mr Macron's agenda. If he can reform the French economy (a ni ...[text shortened]... impossible task) and restore France's long-lost economic credibility, then I take my hat off to him.
    These protests in particular have nothing to do with a "right-wing agenda." They are protesting increases in the duty on diesel.
  11. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 09:141 edit
    @shavixmir said
    So petrol costs have nothing to do with global economics?

Non-EU countries do not see petrol prices rising and falling at the whims of dictatorships in back-water countries?
    There’s no one dying in violent fuel price demonstrations here in brexit-torn-numptie-land.

I think you may be deliberately ignoring the state of French economy and what Marcon is himself doing with fuel tax. Yes, of course you are.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 09:51
    @divegeester said

no
  13. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 09:53
    @wolfgang59 said
    no
    Then can you rephrase your question please.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 10:23
    @divegeester said
    Then can you rephrase your question please.
    Don't be silly - my question could not be simpler.
  15. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    25 Nov '18 10:25
    Sadly 2 people have now died. This situation is not the everyday French protests that those of us who have lived and worked there will be familiar with.

Macron is claiming this huge hike in fuel tax is to support use of greener energy. While this lame rhetoric may go down well over a glass of champers at an EU luncheon, the French people are not believing it, and who can blame them; it’s an insult to the intelligence of the people who voted him into power.

https://news.sky.com/story/tear-gas-fired-at-furious-protesters-in-france-11561900