Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 16:241 edit
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/art-rooney-ii-intent-avoid-141748321.html

Before Sunday’s game against the Bears, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said that the team would not be taking the field for the national anthem and explained the rationale for that decision after the game.

“We got a group of men in there that come from different socioeconomic backgrounds, races, creeds, ethnicities, religions and so forth. That’s football, that’s a lot of team sports. But because of opposition, we get drug into bulls–t, to be quite honest with you. Some have opinions, some don’t. We wanted to protect those that don’t, we wanted to protect those that do. We came here to play a football game today and that was our intentions.”

Things didn’t go quite as planned as tackle Alejandro Villanueva wound up standing alone outside the tunnel to the field while the rest of the team remained inside — “We butchered it,” Villanueva said on Monday — and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger expressed regret about how the team handled the situation.

On Tuesday, Steelers president Art Rooney II released a letter to Steelers fans in an attempt to further explain the team’s intent. The full text of that letter appears below.

“To Steelers Nation:

I want to reach out to you, the members of Steelers Nation, based on what I believe is a misperception about our players’ intentions in not taking the field for the National Anthem in Chicago. The intentions of Steelers players were to stay out of the business of making political statements by not taking the field. Unfortunately, that was interpreted as a boycott of the anthem – which was never our players’ intention.

Our players come from many different backgrounds and are united by what it means to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are active in their communities and participate regularly in events designed to give back to those communities. And they appreciate the support they get from Steelers fans around the country and here at home.

I also know that our players have tremendous respect for the members of our military services, including their teammate Alejandro Villanueva. There was never any desire on the part of our players to show disrespect for our service members.

Yesterday, I received an email from a Steelers fan who said tell the players to just play football. That is exactly what they wanted to do. They wanted their sole focus to be on playing the game, while also coming together as a unified team.

The main thing we can do is learn from this and strive to come together remaining unified as a football team. I believe we are capable of accomplishing this with the support of our fans.

Steelers Nation is made up of the best fans in the National Football League. We appreciate your continued support of our players, coaches and staff.

Sincerely,

Art Rooney II”
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 16:261 edit
    How is refusing to take the field during the national anthem not making a statement of some kind?

In fact, why did one of their players take the field during the national anthem if that were the case?

Progs have lost their minds.

Steeler nation has taken the side of Nancy Pelosi and company. Deal with it. Conservatives in Steeler nation, if any are left, should boycott the team

You ride with them, you hang with them.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 16:30
    3rd thread 😵

Honest question, Whodey (don't worry, I don't expect an honest answer): why is this so important to you?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 16:382 edits
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    3rd thread 😵

Honest question, Whodey (don't worry, I don't expect an honest answer): why is this so important to you?
    Because I'm tired of having left wingers preach to me about how bad I am and the country is 24/7.

Most turn to sports to get away from the political circus. Now they can't even do that.

Enough is enough.

It was almost just as bad when "W" was in office. Going to a music concert almost but insured some lecture by the entertainer as to how bad "W" was.

Of course, Dims like Obama is never attacked which is pure bull. They ride "W" for invading Iraq but not Obama for invading Libya and turning it over to ISIS?

Really?

First they lie to us about our health care as we loose our coverage and have to pay more, and now they are telling the country that they are racist after electing Obama to two terms?

Get bent
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 16:41
    Should the Steelers now apply for a tax exempt status, like the NAACP, now that they are on the DNC payroll?

I'm sure the federal government would have no problems with it.

Perhaps the fans could obtain a free abortion during half time.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 18:331 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Because I'm tired of having left wingers preach to me about how bad I am and the country is 24/7.

Most turn to sports to get away from the political circus. Now they can't even do that.

Enough is enough.

It was almost just as bad when "W" was in office. Going to a music concert almost but insured some lecture by the entertainer as to how bad "W" w ...[text shortened]... they are telling the country that they are racist after electing Obama to two terms?

Get bent
    First of all, "left wingers" don't preach to you about how bad you are. Unless maybe you see yourself as some kind of follower of Trump, like how followers of Christ feel prosecuted just like their Figure on a Cross was. Anyway, stop this idiotic victim playing. It's transparant and pathetic.

Second... "I'm tired of...."

Grow up, you little crybaby. You think the world revolves around you? Newsflash! It doesn't!

So some people feel like making a point by protesting. So what? Who are you to say they shouldn't do so because you are "tired of it"? Just how important do you think you are?

If you don't like it, turn off your tv, drag your fat ass and oversized McDonalds belly of the couch and go play some sports yourself. Stop whining about how other people use their free speech, you little b!tch.

Do you think those players, those teams, anyone, owe you something? You think athletes, musicians, actors need to consider poor Whodey's feelings of perpetual victimhood? Are you insane?

Go spend your time useful instead of being this retarded snowflake who can't accept other people's opinions, fool.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 18:391 edit
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    First of all, "left wingers" don't preach to you about how bad you are. Unless maybe you see yourself as some kind of follower of Trump, like how followers of Christ feel prosecuted just like their Figure on a Cross was. Anyway, stop this idiotic victim playing. It's transparant and pathetic.

Second... "I'm tired of...."

Grow up, you little cry ...[text shortened]... useful instead of being this retarded snowflake who can't accept other people's opinions, fool.
    Preaching as usual. Stop your whining cry baby. At least I don't require a safe zone or shout people down.

😴
  8. Germany
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 18:47
    Preaching as usual. Stop your whining cry baby. At least I don't require a safe zone or shout people down.

😴
    You "don't require a safe zone" but still act like a porcelain ballerina when someone you disagree with expresses their opinion peacefully.
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 19:11

😴
    No, you require people to be fired and boycotted for expressing an opinion. And you position your lardass in front of your tv watching sports while simultaneously feeling these people should get "real" jobs.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 19:15
    I undersyand the coach's point of virw if he leaves it like this...

We have a football game to play and this is just a distraction. We are here to win a football game not to be part of a national anthem.

Anything beyond that I disagree.

The flip side to that is if a player creayes a distraction out of the anthem the player neefs to be dealt with for creating the distraction. He is there to help win a football game.
  11. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    26 Sep '17 19:302 edits
    Well I'm not left wing (although I'm much less right wing than I thought I was according to the political compass thread) and I think you are a massive sticky bell-end.