Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    14 Jun '16 12:54
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-its-time-to-repeal-the-second-amendment-right-bear-arms-20160613

    This Constitutional law professor argues vehemently that the Second Amendment must be repealed.

    My question is whether that would make much of a difference. Assuming that the Supreme Court believes in natural rights theory, the right to keep and bear arms can be enforced by the Court whether or not it's in the Constitution (as in the case of the right to privacy). Could cases like DC v. Heller have been decided under natural rights theory just as easily as under the Second Amendment?
  2. 14 Jun '16 13:07
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-its-time-to-repeal-the-second-amendment-right-bear-arms-20160613

    This Constitutional law professor argues vehemently that the Second Amendment must be repealed.

    My question is whether that would make much of a difference. Assuming that the Supreme Court believes in natural rights theory, the right to keep and ...[text shortened]... ller have been decided under natural rights theory just as easily as under the Second Amendment?
    When they try and take away the second amendment is when a lot of folks will use it. If history is any measure of what happens when the population is disarmed then there will be death on a much larger scale then the incidental crazy man shootings. Not a lot of people will be willing to give up the 2nd amendment even if their rights are upheld in courts as they will view it as another step to losing their rights. The NRA preached for decades about having rifles for sporting puposes and even helped write some of the gun laws as a person doesn't need high cap mags for hunting. This was not the purpose of the constitutional right to keep and bear arms, but lately the NRA has come around as to the intent the framers. They always knew but couldn't resist the temptation to play politics for the benefit of their organization. Think about it. It has been to the NRA advantage that firearms rights always be in dispute. Otherwise they would fade away.
  3. 14 Jun '16 13:33
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-its-time-to-repeal-the-second-amendment-right-bear-arms-20160613

    This Constitutional law professor argues vehemently that the Second Amendment must be repealed.

    My question is whether that would make much of a difference. Assuming that the Supreme Court believes in natural rights theory, the right to keep and ...[text shortened]... ller have been decided under natural rights theory just as easily as under the Second Amendment?
    All they need to do is load up the Supreme Court with stooges to find taking guns away Constitutional.

    Does it really matter what argument they use to do it?
  4. 14 Jun '16 13:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    All they need to do is load up the Supreme Court with stooges to find taking guns away Constitutional.

    Does it really matter what argument they use to do it?
    The democrats are a violent bunch. Take a look at the death of Scalia with no autopsy. You know there is fowl play there.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    14 Jun '16 13:37
    Originally posted by whodey
    All they need to do is load up the Supreme Court with stooges to find taking guns away Constitutional.

    Does it really matter what argument they use to do it?
    === Does it really matter what argument they use to do it? ===

    No. That's my point.
  6. 14 Jun '16 13:39 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    The democrats are a violent bunch. Take a look at the death of Scalia with no autopsy. You know there is fowl play there.
    For them, the ends justify the means.

    It's all about absolute power at any cost
  7. 14 Jun '16 13:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    For them, the means justify the ends.

    It's all about absolute power at any cost
    Yes you are right. The good leaders will not resort to this kind of thing so there is a natural advantage to the brutal left.
  8. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    14 Jun '16 13:42
    Originally posted by sh76
    Assuming that the Supreme Court believes in natural rights theory, ...
    There's your problem.
  9. 14 Jun '16 13:50
    Ever since Marbury vs. Madison the Supreme Court became the deciding factor on what is Constitutional, making 5 justices the absolute law of the land deciding pretty much everything. Jefferson's efforts to overturn this was in vain, so we are left with an oligarchy of a continuous Constitutional convention where 5 unelected judges will dictate every aspect of our existence.
  10. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    14 Jun '16 13:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-its-time-to-repeal-the-second-amendment-right-bear-arms-20160613

    This Constitutional law professor argues vehemently that the Second Amendment must be repealed.

    My question is whether that would make much of a difference. Assuming that the Supreme Court believes in natural rights theory, the right to keep and ...[text shortened]... ller have been decided under natural rights theory just as easily as under the Second Amendment?
    Enough already about the 2nd amendment! We already have legions of gun nuts running around shaking their fists in the air, lying to anyone that will listen, that "those dirty old liberals want to take ALL our shootin irons away!!) Just bringing up this subject will only add to the paranoia.
  11. 14 Jun '16 13:57
    Originally posted by bill718
    Enough already about the 2nd amendment! We already have legions of gun nuts running around shaking their fists in the air, lying to anyone that will listen, that "those dirty old liberals want to take ALL our shootin irons away!!) Just bringing up this subject will only add to the paranoia.
    Those on the right are not the ones constantly bringing it up bill.
  12. 14 Jun '16 14:03
    One of two things need to happen. We either need a Constitutional amendment driven by the states to overturn the ruling of Marbury vs. Madison in giving the Supreme authority over what is Constitutional, or we wait until stooge judges are eventually appointed to dictate to us what they want to be Constitutional.

    It's really just that simple.
  13. 14 Jun '16 15:54
    Originally posted by bill718
    Enough already about the 2nd amendment! We already have legions of gun nuts running around shaking their fists in the air, lying to anyone that will listen, that "those dirty old liberals want to take ALL our shootin irons away!!) Just bringing up this subject will only add to the paranoia.
    Shouldn't have to mention it if the left wasn't trying to take others rights away all the time. The left is like a bully and wishes everyone else could be vulnerable.
  14. 14 Jun '16 16:01
    Originally posted by whodey
    Ever since Marbury vs. Madison the Supreme Court became the deciding factor on what is Constitutional, making 5 justices the absolute law of the land deciding pretty much everything. Jefferson's efforts to overturn this was in vain, so we are left with an oligarchy of a continuous Constitutional convention where 5 unelected judges will dictate every aspect of our existence.
    Who/what do you think should be the deciding factor on what is constitutional? You?
  15. 14 Jun '16 16:01
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Shouldn't have to mention it if the left wasn't trying to take others rights away all the time. The left is like a bully and wishes everyone else could be vulnerable.
    Yeah, and their quarterback sucks.