Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 13 Jan '15 13:22 / 4 edits
    ....he gives interviews to Fox News.

Seriously, there are times when I am really proud to be a Brit. So, this imbecile goes on Fox News and says the following:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fox-news-expert-says-everyone-4962092

Now, how would you react to this if you were from Birmingham, or indeed Britain?

I saw a number of TV stations trying to get people on the streets of Birmingham to react angrily to this etc. But rather than play up to this with feigned outrage, most just shrugged their shoulders and said 'twat' (or words to that effect).

And then they just decided to take the piss instead.

Good on you, folks.
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    13 Jan '15 13:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    There are times when I am really proud to be a Brit.

So, this imbecile goes on Fox News and says the following:

Now, how would you react to this if you were from Birmingham, or indeed Britain?

I saw a number of TV stations trying to get people on the streets of Birmi ...[text shortened]... to that effect).

Good on you, folks.
    Good for you for being proud.

But why would you or the TV stations assume that people would be genuinely angry about an inaccurate and absurd statement about their city made by one individual 3,000 miles away (who, incidentally, then retracted, apologized and "promised to take an advert out on a Birmingham newspaper and make a donation to one of the city's chairities" )?

Go have a Brit tell the BBC that New York is controlled by Muslims or Aliens for that matter and then go do a survey on the streets to see how many people get angry. Of course the reaction will be the same as it was in Birmingham.
  3. 13 Jan '15 14:06
    Originally posted by sh76
    But why would you......assume that people would be genuinely angry about an inaccurate and absurd statement about their city made by one individual 3,000 miles away.
    I think, if you read my OP, you would find I thought the exact opposite.

Perhaps you should work for the Fox News research department.
  4. 13 Jan '15 14:08 / 4 edits
    who, incidentally, then retracted, apologized and "promised to take an advert out on a Birmingham newspaper and make a donation to one of the city's chairities" )?
    Yes, as someone who has set himself up as an expert on these matters, and apparently given evidence before congressional committees, it is of course OK to go on a major news channel and say these things 'because someone told me it was so', providing you make a ham-fisted attempt at an apology afterwards.
  5. 13 Jan '15 14:22
    Go have a Brit tell the BBC that New York is controlled by Muslims or Aliens for that matter and then go do a survey on the streets to see how many people get angry. Of course the reaction will be the same as it was in Birmingham.
    Is that the same New York that, according to press articles, reacted with 'outrage' over the proposal to limit the maximum size of soda you could buy?
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    13 Jan '15 14:25 / 1 edit
    Is that the same New York that, according to press articles, reacted with 'outrage' over the proposal to limit the maximum size of soda you could buy?
    You're lost, dude.

Scenario 1: The city passes a rule restricting people from doing something they (apparently) want to do.

Scenario 2: Someone 3,000 miles away with no power to do anything in or to the city makes an obviously absurd statement about the city.

Yeah, those are analogous.

7. 13 Jan '15 14:34 / 2 edits
    You're lost, dude.

Scenario 1: The city passes a rule restricting people from doing something they (apparently) want to do.

Scenario 2: Someone 3,000 miles away with no power to do anything in or to the city makes an obviously absurd statement about the city.

Yeah, those are analogous.

They weren't meant to be analogous.
  8. 13 Jan '15 14:46 / 1 edit
    Sorry, my mistake....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/outrage-after-fox-news-expert-4961775

Apparently we are outraged, after all.
  9. 13 Jan '15 18:58
    ....he gives interviews to Fox News.

Seriously, there are times when I am really proud to be a Brit. So, this imbecile goes on Fox News and says the following:

I saw a number of TV stat ...[text shortened]... to that effect).

Good on you, folks.
    I wonder if Duchess64 will be outraged about the use of a username in a thread title?
  10. 13 Jan '15 19:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I wonder if Duchess64 will be outraged about the use of a username in a thread title?
    You (normbenign) should know by now that, rather than being *outraged*, he will treat my post with absolute disdain.
  11. 13 Jan '15 19:47
    I watched the whole "interview" of the "expert," you can find it on YouTube. It's brilliant. One of those cases where reality is less absurd than satire. I mean, this guy, clearly a deranged lunatic, for whatever reason gets some air time on the most popular news channel in the US and just makes one moronic comment after another. And then the funny (or really sad) part is that the whodeys of this world believe that stuff too.
  12. 13 Jan '15 20:34 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I watched the whole "interview" of the "expert," you can find it on YouTube. It's brilliant. One of those cases where reality is less absurd than satire. I mean, this guy, clearly a deranged lunatic, for whatever reason gets some air time on the most popular news channel in the US and just makes one moronic comment after another. And then the funny (or really sad) part is that the whodeys of this world believe that stuff too.
    I must check out the full interview.

Surely the really sad part is that this person has given evidence to numerous congressional committees.

Appearing on Sky News to apologise for what he called his “sloppy research” and “inexcusable error”, Steve Emerson said he “deserved the pain and hurt” he has experienced since.

“Hearing it over when you played it was like waterboarding, I guess,” he said.

When in a hole, mate....
  13. 13 Jan '15 23:03
    The main differences are, though:

- we don't have Britons telling the BBC such obvious arsebollocks;
    - the kind of people who watch FOX do take these imbeciles seriously, which the British and the rest of Europe wouldn't.
  14. 13 Jan '15 23:28
    Why would liberals (Brits)believe Propaganda that doesn't come the Propaganda source they've been trained to believe?
  15. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    13 Jan '15 23:36
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Why would liberals (Brits)believe Propaganda that doesn't come the Propaganda source they've been trained to believe?
    Are you suggesting they should believe Fox News?

Are you suggesting they should believe what an expert on Fox News has said about London and Birmingham?

Are you hoping that liberals (Brits) would feel bruised by your punchy contribution?