Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 16 Jul '14 14:27
    Many opponents of gun control believe (erroneously) that gun control means gun ban, and oppose it on principle. Many would be fine with some measures, but not others. Many oppose anything proposed by obama on principle.

I would like to conduct a kind of poll to see what gun control measures you would be fine with.

Answer yes or no to the following. Feel free to elaborate. Feel free to post a "no gun control, ever, period".
    1. Ban people convicted of violent misdemeanors from gun purchases.
    2. Ban people convicted of stalking.
    3. Background checks
    4. Clip size restrictions.
    5. Waiting periods. How long
    6. Sniper rifles
    7. Armour piercing bullets.
    8. Only allow authorized gun shops to sell guns and ammo
  2. 16 Jul '14 15:20
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    Many opponents of gun control believe (erroneously) that gun control means gun ban, and oppose it on principle. Many would be fine with some measures, but not others. Many oppose anything proposed by obama on principle.

I would like to conduct a kind of poll to see what gun control measures you would be fine with.

Answer yes or no to the following. Fe ...[text shortened]... er rifles
    All of those recommendations are currently in place in one way or another in most states except for the magazine size restrictions and sniper rifles.
    Some states (California, ugh)restrict magazine size, and as far as "sniper rifle", a good hunting rifle and upper-end scope is as good as anything one could ask for without going to some sort of exotic military weapon.

And background checks have been required for as long as I can remember. Likewise only authorized places can sell guns/ammo.
  3. 16 Jul '14 16:38
    Many opponents of gun control believe (erroneously) that gun control means gun ban...

1. Ban people convicted of violent misdemeanors from gun purchases.
    2. Ban people convicted of stalking.
    6. Sniper rifles
    Let's see how long it takes you to connect the dots.
  4. 16 Jul '14 16:45

I support #1 and allowing non-violent felons that are not convicted of theft to own firearms. Of course they should not be felons anyway.
  5. 17 Jul '14 12:21
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    I support #1 and allowing non-violent felons that are not convicted of theft to own firearms. Of course they should not be felons anyway.
    so that means that you would support convicted stalkers to be able to get guns?
    no background checks? no psych evaluation, not even a little one? allow people to get automatic weapons?

the way you phrased it gives the impression that you wouldn't support any other measures than 1
  6. 17 Jul '14 13:04
    I would ban all guns.
  7. 17 Jul '14 13:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I would ban all guns.
    after you eradicated all the violence in the world and created an utopia?

let's stick to something plausible.
  8. 17 Jul '14 17:53
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi to twhitehead
    16th century Japan had so many firearms that the samurai felt threatened.
    What was the use of spending many years attempting to master the art
    of swordmanship if a half-trained peasant with a gun could kill a samurai?
    So the Japanese decided to ban guns--with great success--until 19th century
    Western intrusions compelled them to reconsider. Then the Japanese proceeded
    to learn the modern Western methods of war with great dispatch.

Read _Giving Up the Gun: Japan's Reversion to the Sword 1543-1879_
    by Noel Perrin.
  9. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    19 Jul '14 01:45

Please don't type "gun" and "control" in the same sentence. You're chatting with a large number of zombies that have been force fed the notion that any changes in the status quo regarding guns in America will automatically result in the government taking over our lives, and/or a massive upsurge in violent crime, that decent citizens will not be able to stop, and that "education" is the answer to the thousands of needless gun injury's and deaths in America. So....let's not raise the paranoia level any more than it already is.
  10. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    19 Jul '14 05:57

9 no guns
  11. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    19 Jul '14 07:20

The U.S Constitution says:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
  12. 19 Jul '14 10:54

Well if you are talking about the US where the government is so corrupt and the gun lobby makes the laws, then sticking to something plausible, means having no real control measures at all - ie the status quo.
    Most of the suggestions in your OP are not plausible in the US.
    However, I find banning guns perfectly plausible in some other countries - and it is what I would support.
    And no, I would not do it after eradicating violence, I would do it as a step towards eradicating violence.
  13. 19 Jul '14 12:29

How about removing all restrictions on purchase and carry by law abiding citizens who aren't violent felons?

How about no penalty for non violent felons re firearms. Perhaps ban embezzlers from using computers, adding machines and pencils.

How about Z going into designated neighborhoods of Detroit with a sign held high saying "I am unarmed. I want to take your guns."

Detroit Police Chief James Craig credits armed citizens with crime reduction.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140716/METRO01/307160034
  14. 19 Jul '14 12:34
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Well if you are talking about the US where the government is so corrupt and the gun lobby makes the laws, then sticking to something plausible, means having no real control measures at all - ie the status quo.
    Most of the suggestions in your OP are not plausible in the US.
    However, I find banning guns perfectly plausible in some other countries - and i ...[text shortened]... ould not do it after eradicating violence, I would do it as a step towards eradicating violence.
    Isn't it true that where guns are outlawed, only the outlaws have guns. Police responses are pretty good in the little suburb where I reside, 5 minutes or less. Still I could be shot with phone in hand by an intruder, and the perp would be long gone in 5 minutes.

In some rural areas of America, police response can be over an hour.
  15. 19 Jul '14 12:46

I support all 8. I think at least a 7 day waiting period is appropriate. I would add that all guns should have some sort of ID embedded in them that cannot be scratched off so a trail can be created to see who had possession. For those who claim there is no way to control guns even with these rules and regs, check out Australia.