Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 28 Mar '12 14:52
    What will Obama and the Democrats do if Obamacare is overturned?

    Perhaps he will:

    1. Write and Executive Order to negate the decision.

    2. Try another "Court Packing Scheme" reminiscent of his idol FDR.

    3. Appeal the decision to the World Court and UN.

    4. Offer the Supremes the option of opting out of the mandate as well as free health care for the rest of their lives and the lives of their families.

    5. Blame the Tea Party.
  2. 28 Mar '12 15:30
    They will disband the army. After all, people can't be forced to buy national security insurance.
  3. 28 Mar '12 15:33
    Originally posted by whodey
    What will Obama and the Democrats do if Obamacare is overturned?

    Perhaps he will:

    1. Write and Executive Order to negate the decision.

    2. Try another "Court Packing Scheme" reminiscent of his idol FDR.

    3. Appeal the decision to the World Court and UN.

    4. Offer the Supremes the option of opting out of the mandate as well as free health care for the rest of their lives and the lives of their families.

    5. Blame the Tea Party.
    I think he will declare martial law, put all registered republicans in FEMA camps and force Sam Alito to dress up in black face and dance the charleston for his entertainment.
  4. 28 Mar '12 16:12
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    They will disband the army. After all, people can't be forced to buy national security insurance.
    I don't think you're familiar with the US Constitution.

    This would be a good argument if the Constitution was different than what it actually is.
  5. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    28 Mar '12 16:16 / 1 edit
    He will make lemonade out of lemons. He will use the decision to beat up on republicans. He will say he tried to save health care but was blocked at every turn by conservatives. "You want healthcare? Talk to Scalia and Alito. Reelect me so I can pack the court with commies and we'll get you some healthcare. We can't wait."

    Something like that.
  6. 28 Mar '12 16:39
    Originally posted by techsouth
    I don't think you're familiar with the US Constitution.

    This would be a good argument if the Constitution was different than what it actually is.
    It doesn't matter what the Constitution says because the Supreme Court "judges" are politicians, not judges.
  7. 28 Mar '12 17:00
    The bill authors should have just called the "penalty" a tax and not a penalty, and then provided for people to be exempt from the tax if they had health insurance.
  8. 28 Mar '12 19:24
    Originally posted by moon1969
    The bill authors should have just called the "penalty" a tax and not a penalty, and then provided for people to be exempt from the tax if they had health insurance.
    BUt Obama was mindful of his promise not to raise taxes, hence the term "penalty".

    Really this all boils down to the election of Scott Brown. They had to act fast and use Reconciliation to bypass the voters in their selection of Scott Brown who would have killed the legislation. By doing so, they could not word the bill to survive legal scrutiny.
  9. Standard member Soothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    28 Mar '12 19:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    What will Obama and the Democrats do if Obamacare is overturned?

    Perhaps he will:

    1. Write and Executive Order to negate the decision.

    2. Try another "Court Packing Scheme" reminiscent of his idol FDR.

    3. Appeal the decision to the World Court and UN.

    4. Offer the Supremes the option of opting out of the mandate as well as free health care for the rest of their lives and the lives of their families.

    5. Blame the Tea Party.
    The bill is a half-measure that arguably is a give-away to the private insurance companies. If it is overturned, which would be unfortunate, I would take that as the signal to begin the real mission: a single-payer system, or at the very least a public option.
  10. 28 Mar '12 19:46
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It doesn't matter what the Constitution says because the Supreme Court "judges" are politicians, not judges.
    Earlier you seemed to be ridiculing the assertion that there was a Constitutional objection to Obamacare.

    Now you seem to be ridiculing the belief that the SC would care about the Constitution.
  11. 28 Mar '12 20:03
    Originally posted by techsouth
    Earlier you seemed to be ridiculing the assertion that there was a Constitutional objection to Obamacare.

    Now you seem to be ridiculing the belief that the SC would care about the Constitution.
    The left is constantly changing the goal posts. First Obamacare is not a tax, and then it is a tax, and then it isn't a tax again.
  12. 28 Mar '12 20:04
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    The bill is a half-measure that arguably is a give-away to the private insurance companies. If it is overturned, which would be unfortunate, I would take that as the signal to begin the real mission: a single-payer system, or at the very least a public option.
    That is the given mission with or without Obamacare. Everyone and his brother knows that. The goals of the left are so predictable that it is hardly even worth mentioning.
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    28 Mar '12 21:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    BUt Obama was mindful of his promise not to raise taxes, hence the term "penalty".

    Really this all boils down to the election of Scott Brown. They had to act fast and use Reconciliation to bypass the voters in their selection of Scott Brown who would have killed the legislation. By doing so, they could not word the bill to survive legal scrutiny.
    So a filibuster is democracy in action but reconciliation is "undemocratic" even though it requires a majority vote.

    Whodey-think is a strange place.
  14. Standard member Soothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    29 Mar '12 02:28
    Originally posted by whodey
    That is the given mission with or without Obamacare. Everyone and his brother knows that. The goals of the left are so predictable that it is hardly even worth mentioning.
    If the bill is negated by the court on account of the individual mandate issue, then the drive toward a single-payer system, or a public option, will be accelerated. Both are better alternatives, and neither has the baggage that the individual mandate has.

    Incidentally, there is no penalty specified in the language of the so-called "Obamacare" legislation in the event that someone does not pay the penalty. It never had teeth to begin with.
  15. 29 Mar '12 02:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    If the bill is negated by the court on account of the individual mandate issue, then the drive toward a single-payer system, or a public option, will be accelerated. Both are better alternatives, and neither has the baggage that the individual mandate has.

    Incidentally, there is no penalty specified in the language of the so-called "Obamacare" legislation in the event that someone does not pay the penalty. It never had teeth to begin with.
    The provision in the bill to allow the mandate to be removed and still allow the legislation to stand was itself removed. The question then begs, why?