Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    08 Jan '10 23:19
    See title. Franz Ferdinand never gets assassinated. WWI never begins.
  2. 09 Jan '10 00:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Then Adam turned down the apple, and we remained in the garden.
    Nirvana
  3. 09 Jan '10 00:53
    If my grandfather would have only daughters as his children, my uncle would have been my aunt.

wasteful exercise .
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    09 Jan '10 00:55
    Originally posted by Kegge
    If my grandfather would have only daughters as his children, my uncle would have been my aunt.

wasteful exercise .
    It's a good thing you took your important time - too important to post in this thread - to tell us how wasteful it is.
  5. 09 Jan '10 01:09
    It's a good thing you took your important time - too important to post in this thread - to tell us how wasteful it is.
    Thank you .. that was exactly what I thought just before I wasted a bit more time again
  6. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    09 Jan '10 02:09
    What makes you think WWI would never have happened if Franz Ferdinand never got assassinated?
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Jan '10 03:03
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What makes you think WWI would never have happened if Franz Ferdinand never got assassinated?
    Good point. The whole of Europe was coiled like a spring after years of Arms Racing.

Perhaps a better OP question would have been:

What if the entire sweep of European history had been different and the geopolitical situation in 1914 was not how it actually was, and Europe was therefore essentially unrecognizable and the links, alliances and conflicts of interests between the major powers were something other than what they really were, what would have happened if Franz Ferdinand had never got assassinated?
  8. 09 Jan '10 04:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    Good point. The whole of Europe was coiled like a spring after years of Arms Racing.

Perhaps a better OP question would have been:

[b]What if the entire sweep of European history had been different and the geopolitical situation in 1914 was not how it actually was, and Europe was therefore essentially unrecognizable and the links, alliances and conflicts o ...[text shortened]... at they really were, what would have happened if Franz Ferdinand had never got assassinated?
    [/b]
    rush of adrenaline?
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Jan '10 04:46 / 1 edit
    What if there had been no World Wars? Franz Ferdinand never gets assassinated. WWI never begins.
    He doesn't. Something else happens shortly afterwards. It does begin. There were World Wars.
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Jan '10 05:04
    What if there had been no World Wars? Franz Ferdinand never gets assassinated. WWI never begins.
    whodey: Obama would have started it somehow, through inexperience. Or one of his Czars.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Jan '10 05:05
    eljefejesus: the U.S., which is big SIZE, would have beaten Germany anyway, even without a war, because they did in real life.
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Jan '10 05:06
    I am in Satire Overdrive!
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Jan '10 05:09 / 1 edit
    sh76: Well maybe WW1 never began or maybe it does begin. That is far from clear. And I know FMF is going to quibble my use of of the word "does" instead of "did" but I think my point stands regardless.
  14. 09 Jan '10 05:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    whodey: Obama would have started it somehow, through inexperience. Or one of his Czars.
    Wrong again. The progressives like Obama are moving towards a one world order where war is nothing but a thing of the past. Perhaps we will live to see his utopia!!
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Jan '10 05:17
    zeeblebot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Ferdinand

"The members of Franz Ferdinand played in various bands during the 1990s including The Karelia, Yummy Fur, 10p Invaders and Embryo. Alex Kapranos and Paul Thomson played together in Yummy Fur and subsequently teamed up to write songs. Around the same time, Kapranos taught his friend Bob Hardy how to play bass after buying a bass guitar from a friend. Kapranos met co-guitarist Nick McCarthy, who had returned to Scotland after studying jazz bass in Germany, in 2001.[3] Franz Ferdinand's long time sound engineer is Michael Parker.

In May 2003, the band signed to Laurence Bell's independent record label Domino Records.[4] The band had recorded an EP which they intended to release themselves; however, it was instead released by Domino as Darts of Pleasure in the latter part of 2003. The cover art was designed by Thomson. It reached #43 in the UK chart.[citation needed] The band won the "Phillip Hall Radar Award" at the NME Awards of 2004, announced in November 2003."

-------- >>

=====

euroweenies. who cares .