Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 25 Dec '11 05:25 / 1 edit
    To me, a neocon is someone who would be happy shaving off a few billion dollars from a trillion plus dollar Obama deficit. A neocon is someone who would be happy placing a hand full more border patrols at the border. A neocon is someone who would be happy with Obamacare so long as the individual mandate is taken away.

In short, a neocon is what we will wind up with if the GOP defeats Obama in 2012.

So what is your definition of a neocon?
  2. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    25 Dec '11 08:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    To me, a neocon is someone who would be happy shaving off a few billion dollars from a trillion plus dollar Obama deficit. A neocon is someone who would be happy placing a hand full more border patrols at the border. A neocon is someone who would be happy with Obamacare so long as the individual mandate is taken away.

In short, a neocon is what we will wind up with if the GOP defeats Obama in 2012.

I'd suggest it's a conservative being truthful.

Neo as in: We're not generally truthful
    Con as in: We're gonna con you into making us richer at your own expense.
  3. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    25 Dec '11 12:35

A neocon is a fascist who denies he's a fascist.
  4. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    25 Dec '11 12:53
    Originally posted by rwingett
    A neocon is a fascist who denies he's a fascist.
    and/or a racist bigot to boot.
  5. Standard member smw6869
    Granny
    25 Dec '11 19:27
    A neocon is a liberal conservative.

GRANNY.
  6. 25 Dec '11 19:35
    Originally posted by smw6869
    A neocon is a liberal conservative.

GRANNY.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_liberalism
  7. 25 Dec '11 19:37
    So far we have neocons as:
    1. Liars
    2. Fascists
    3. Rich
    4. liberal conservatives
    5. bigots.

Anything else?
  8. 25 Dec '11 19:41
    1. Liars
    2. Fascists
    3. Rich
    4. liberal conservatives
    5. bigots.

Anything else?
    6. People with a weak grasp of humour and satire.
  9. Standard member smw6869
    Granny
    25 Dec '11 19:48
    A new guy just entering prison.

GRANNY.
  10. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    26 Dec '11 22:23
    1. Liars
    2. Fascists
    3. Rich
    4. liberal conservatives
    5. bigots.

Anything else?
    Bump everything down one, though, since you had the first definition:

"someone who would be happy shaving off a few billion dollars from a trillion plus dollar Obama deficit... someone who would be happy placing a hand full more border patrols at the border... someone who would be happy with Obamacare so long as the individual mandate is taken away... what we will wind up with if the GOP defeats Obama in 2012."

Serious question: why is that what the term 'neocon' means to you? What makes you give the word that definition? What are the origins and aims of 'neoconservatism' as a recent ideology, as you understand it, if that is how you define it?

I'd suggest that, by any standard definition of 'neocon' a sensible person would put forward (ahem), a 'neocon' would have actively supported the war with Iraq and continued military presence in Afghanistan, and would have an eye to future interventions in the name of 'spreading democracy'. For me, their foreign policy stance is considerably more important than narrow American domestic policy. Where would you expect your 'GOP neocon' to stand with regard to liberal interventionism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocon

(Way back when, and since - including on these forums- - I have been one of those you will find filed under 'Trotskyism allegation' in the wiki article.)
  11. 26 Dec '11 22:39 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by DrKF
    [Serious question: why is that what the term 'neocon' means to you? What makes you give the word that definition? What are the origins and aims of 'neoconservatism' as a recent ideology, as you understand it, if that is how you define it?

I'd suggest that, by any standard definition of 'neocon' a sensible person would put forward (ahem), a 'neocon' would ld you expect your 'GOP neocon' to stand with regard to liberal interventionism?
    I would say that a neocon is a water downed statist. The goal of the two party system is increased centralized control of domestic and foriegn policy. A neocon has the illusion of their being a "choice", in other words. I expect NOTHING from the GOP in terms of substantially cutting spending or substantially curbing illegal immigration or substantially curbing wars abroad etc.

As has been seen with both parties, they are gung ho on the wars abroad just as they are with other policies that I have stated.

Let me just add that I think Ron Paul is an exception to this, but then, the GOP will never let him see the light of day.

Now back to the Ron Paul bashing threads please.
  12. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    26 Dec '11 22:41 / 2 edits
    I would say that a neocon is a water downed statist. The goal of the two party system is increased centralized control of domestic and foriegn policy. A neocon has the illusion of their being a "choice", in other words.

As has been seen with both parties, they are gung ho on the wars abroad just as they are with other policies that I have stated.
    Eh? What's that even a response to?

Sorry, what does that even mean?
  13. 26 Dec '11 22:44
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Eh? What's that even a response to?
    If I'm not mistaken, the term "neo" is in reference to a type of fabrication of sorts. In other words, they claim to be conservative but are not, so just add "neo" to their title to accurately differentiate the two. Then watch the neocon policies fall apart and then blame conservatives. It's the best of both worlds really.
  14. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    26 Dec '11 22:45
    If I'm not mistaken, the term "neo" is in reference to a type of fabrication of sorts. In other words, they claim to be conservative but are not, so just add "neo" to their title to accurately differentiate the two. Then watch the neocon policies fall apart and then blame conservatives. It's the best of both worlds really.
    *shrugs*
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    26 Dec '11 22:48
    "neo" is from the Greek "neos" meaning "new".