Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    15 Jul '10
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 05:59
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    once more, abortion and confederate flags have nothing in common.

the fact that some choose to cherish a flag used by a pro-slavery army that wanted to tear up their country is their business. blacks and non rednecks want it taken down from government buildings, the government that is supposed to represent them. no abortions involved.

and seriou ...[text shortened]... might be insulted to see that flag? the rest of the world is just surprised it took you so long.
    You know nothing about American history.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 06:55
    I think we need a few more threads on the Confederate flag. You haven't quite emphasized the importance of a few stores not selling it anymore enough.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 11:37
    Originally posted by SERGEANTPMAIN
    Many Southerners have had Ancestors fight and die for that flag, and We honor their bravery in battle, by keeping their grave sites up, and museums, and monuments.

Honour their bravery but remember their stupidity.
    What sense is there in dying for a flag?
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 11:37
    Educate him.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 12:14
    you mean i don't know the fairy tail some southerners have invented to make it sound less like they are nostalgic about a time when they owned slaves.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 12:16
    Originally posted by normbenign
    This is BS, and evidence that we ought not allow immigration without an understanding of American history.
    the confederates committed treason against the united states.

and they happily owned slaves

treason and racism.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 12:16
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am pretty sure it was intended to be a symbol of the Confederate States of American as an independent nation standing up for states rights and against the use of dictorial power from the northern states.
    "as an independent nation standing up for states rights"
    one of which, the right to own slaves
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 13:178 edits
    the confederates committed treason against the united states.

and they happily owned slaves

treason and racism.
    12 American presidents owned slaves
    American police kill over 1000 persons every year
    America fomented a war that has claimed hundreds of thousands of lives in Iraq
    They dropped atomic bombs on civilian populations killing in excess of 100,000 persons
    They incarcerate and torture their enemies

Please look at this video footage of the KKK marching in Washington in 1928, there is not a Confederate flag to be seen and indeed each member carries with them the flag of the United states of America, the Stars and Stripes. Care to explain the phenomena?

YouTube : KKK march on Washington 1928

So just to be both morally and logically consistent you are going to ban not only the confederate flag you will you also ban the American stars and stripes on moral grounds.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 14:16
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    They dropped atomic bombs on civilian populations killing in excess of 100,000 persons

Please look at this video footage of the KKK march ...[text shortened]... only the confederate flag you will you also ban the American stars and stripes on moral grounds.
    i don't want to ban it, i am just saying that it stands for treason and racism.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 14:39
    i don't want to ban it, i am just saying that it stands for treason and racism.
    did you watch the small video excerpt? Can you explain why there is not a confederate flag in sight as the KKK march on Washington?
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 19:22
    did you watch the small video excerpt? Can you explain why there is not a confederate flag in sight as the KKK march on Washington?
    "did you watch the small video excerpt"
    no

"Can you explain why there is not a confederate flag in sight as the KKK march on Washington"
    no. don't care
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 20:02
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Since I saw no reply to your post I feel compelled to respond.
    My family tree goes back to the 1670's in the Carolinas, including a S. Carolina governor. In the Civil War most of my ancestors fought and died for the Confederacy. A tree became a sapling in genealogical terms. I have always had a strong sense of pride that my ancestors were willing to fight ...[text shortened]... ow falls to the level of the Nazi flag (a Hindu symbol of life) in its' level of perversion. :'(
    I appreciate the pain and the decision.

I asked SERGEANTPMAIN: "So you condemn using the confederate battle flag as a symbol of white supremacy by a shooter of blacks. That usage dishonors those who you honor. Right?"

SERGEANTPMAIN's failure to respond has meaning. Evidently there is ambiguity concerning what the battle flag should stand for.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 20:221 edit

Please look at this video footage of the KKK march ...[text shortened]... only the confederate flag you will you also ban the American stars and stripes on moral grounds.
    The Civil War was America's bloodiest conflict

Roughly 1,264,000 American soldiers have died in the nation's wars--620,000 in the Civil War and 644,000 in all other conflicts. It was only as recently as the Vietnam War that the amount of American deaths in foreign wars eclipsed the number who died in the Civil War. Over 58,000 died in the Vietnam War.

http://www.civilwar.org/education/civil-war-casualties.html
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 20:311 edit
    Originally posted by caissad4 to JS357
    Since I saw no reply to your post I feel compelled to respond.
    My family tree goes back to the 1670's in the Carolinas, including a S. Carolina governor. In the Civil War most of my ancestors fought and died for the Confederacy. A tree became a sapling in genealogical terms. I have always had a strong sense of pride that my ancestors were willing ...[text shortened]... ow falls to the level of the Nazi flag (a Hindu symbol of life) in its' level of perversion. :'(
    As far as I know, the CSA battle flag was *not* displayed over government buildings
    in Southern states *until after the Second World War*. Contrary to what some ignorant
    or dishonest 'defenders of Southern tradition' would like to imply, the CSA battle flag
    does *not* have a long tradition (supposedly since soon after the Civil War) of being
    displayed over government buildings in Southern states.

After the Second World War, Southern white supremacists or supporters of racial segregation
    hijacked the CSA battle flag to exploit as a symbol in their political battle against civil rights.
    That's when the CSA battle flag began flying over government buildings in Southern states.
    So the CSA battle flag's *modern significance* is as a symbol of racism and white racial privilege.
    I have no objection to the CSA battle flag being preserved in museums or displayed
    around CSA war memorials.

By the way, many cultures used the swastika as a symbol before the Nazis began doing so.
    And people in these cultures see no reason why they should have to erase that part
    of their heritage just because one symbol was hijacked by the Nazis.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 20:45
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    As far as I know, the CSA battle flag was *not* displayed over government buildings
    in Southern states *until after the Second World War*. Contrary to what some ignorant
    or dishonest 'defenders of Southern tradition' would like to imply, the CSA battle flag
    does *not* have a long tradition (supposedly since soon after the Civil War) of being
    displaye ...[text shortened]... ld have to erase that part
    of their heritage just because one symbol was hijacked by the Nazis.
    How could it be displayed over government buildings immediately after the war? The Federal government was controlled by the winners from the northern states. It would be foolish for the southerners to attempt to display it on government buildings soon after the war. I am a redneck southerner, but I am not that ignorant.