Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 13 Jan '16 09:06
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/what-obamas-executive-action-gun-control-means-you/

"Is Obama coming for my guns?

No. The guns you have now are yours to keep!

Can I still buy new guns?

Of course!

Even at Walmart?

As always, you can do just about anything at Wal-Mart."

"Can I still buy extended magazines?

Go nuts. Wait, no, bad choice of words. Yes, you can still buy extended magazines.

How about armor-piercing ammunition?

Still legal, but why do you need it???

Will it stop me from buying automatic weapons registered before 1986, if I have the requisite licenses?

Wait ... like machine guns? You can do that?

Totally.

OK, yes, we checked and you're right. Automatic weapons registered before 1986 are still perfectly legal provided your license checks out."
  2. 13 Jan '16 09:10
    spoiler ahead.

it ends with:

"Have the executive actions created a single new law or appreciably changed the intent of any existing law?

You kind of already asked this question. The answer is still no. The executive actions are mostly just an attempt to fix loopholes, staff shortages, and other shortcomings that hinder the application of existing laws we've had for years.

Enforce the laws we already have on the books! That's what the NRA and Republicans have been asking Obama to do forever, right?

Yep.

Great! So everyone agrees this is a good idea then?
    Of course not."
  3. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    14 Jan '16 02:04
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    spoiler ahead.

it ends with:

"Have the executive actions created a single new law or appreciably changed the intent of any existing law?

You kind of already asked this question. The answer is still no. The executive actions are mostly just an attempt to fix loopholes, staff shortages, and other shortcomings that hinder the application of existing ...[text shortened]... forever, right?

Yep.

Of course not."
    That is because the U.S. Presidency should not be treated like a dictatorship.
  4. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    14 Jan '16 02:37
    spoiler ahead.

it ends with:

You kind of already asked this question. The answer is still no. The executive actions are mostly just an attempt to fix loopholes, staff shortages, and other shortcomings that hinder the application of existing ...[text shortened]... forever, right?

Yep.

Of course not."
    Zahlanzi - What you said is correct, but it still scares the gun nuts. Fox News is still trying to sell everyone who will listen the lie that " That Darn Muslim In The White House Is Gonna Get Our Guns!!" It's a really simple minded message that gun nuts can understand. Hot looking babes, and really simple sound bites...THAT"S Fox News!
  5. 14 Jan '16 03:02
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That is because the U.S. Presidency should not be treated like a dictatorship.
    you haven't read the article. or you haven't been able to comprehend it.

here is a summary for you: obama's executive actions do jack sht. they don't change any laws. they just try to put in place some ways in which existent laws are better enforced and too little even so. something the gun nuts have advocated always "there are enough gun laws, we need to enforce those already in place". now that he is doing exactly that, the republicans trip over each other to condemn him. which is not surprising.
  6. 14 Jan '16 03:10
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/what-obamas-executive-action-gun-control-means-you/

"Is Obama coming for my guns?

No. The guns you have now are yours to keep!

Can I still buy new guns?

Of course!

Even at Walmart?

As always, you can do just about anything at Wal-Mart."

"Can I still buy extended magazines?

Go nuts. Wait, no, bad choice ...[text shortened]... atic weapons registered before 1986 are still perfectly legal provided your license checks out."
    This is, primarily, a chess site. Why have you not played for, roughly, two years?