Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 29 Jul '13 20:35
    There is no recovery in the USA. Prove me wrong.

    http://theweek.com/article/index/247517/why-4-out-of-5-americans-are-struggling-to-make-ends-meet
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    29 Jul '13 20:39 / 2 edits
    The Lords of the Manor are profiting. What happens to the peasants is irrelevant to them.

    I'm with rwingett. Time to bring back the guillotine.

    French Revolution song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXsZbkt0yqo

    ----------------

    I see the strings that control the system...

    Flobots - Handlebars
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUX0y4EptA
  3. 29 Jul '13 22:32
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    There is no recovery in the USA. Prove me wrong.

    http://theweek.com/article/index/247517/why-4-out-of-5-americans-are-struggling-to-make-ends-meet
    One thing we ought to come to grips with, is that our prosperity over the past three decades has been largely phoney. It has been fed by artificially low interest, and lots of fiat money dumped into the system, as well as imported products from economies with artificially low pegged currencies, and low wage labor.

    A real recovery has to include a lot of cleaning of bad economic factors, and some pain for all.
  4. 30 Jul '13 01:52
    If the US is to adopt the caste system I at least want a dowry.
  5. 30 Jul '13 01:55
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The Lords of the Manor are profiting. What happens to the peasants is irrelevant to them.

    I'm with rwingett. Time to bring back the guillotine.

    French Revolution song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXsZbkt0yqo

    ----------------

    I see the strings that control the system...

    Flobots - Handlebars
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUX0y4EptA
    Oh dear, another NSA target for suggesting violence on our public officials.
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    30 Jul '13 02:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    Oh dear, another NSA target for suggesting violence on our public officials.
    My philosophy is that if they spend resources investigating me they won't find anything so why not?
  7. 30 Jul '13 05:44
    That would depend on your definition of "recovery".
  8. 30 Jul '13 13:06
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    My philosophy is that if they spend resources investigating me they won't find anything so why not?
    The money comes from somewhere. Do you pay income taxes?
  9. 30 Jul '13 15:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    The money comes from somewhere. Do you pay income taxes?
    The money comes from debt. As long as the government can simply print its own money, it doesn't need to collect it from anyone.

    Btw, the government collects money from many tax sources, not simply income tax.
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    30 Jul '13 17:08
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    The money comes from somewhere. Do you pay income taxes?
    I don't make enough money to pay much in income taxes.
  11. 30 Jul '13 17:37
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I don't make enough money to pay much in income taxes.
    Who cares about all the other taxes? Smoke an mirror game that certain people like to play.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    30 Jul '13 17:39
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Who cares about all the other taxes? Smoke an mirror game that certain people like to play.
    I don't own property, so no property tax.
  13. 30 Jul '13 18:14
    Originally posted by Eladar
    The money comes from debt. As long as the government can simply print its own money, it doesn't need to collect it from anyone.

    Btw, the government collects money from many tax sources, not simply income tax.
    That is very true. The Federal Reserve System taxed us with inflation to bail out banks in the USA and foreign banks as well. There seems to be no limit to their blatant corruption.
    Certain taxes are limited in their use though. I pay property taxes and that is limited to the local level for example. Most of it goes to the county level and school district.
  14. Standard member empovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    31 Jul '13 15:14
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I don't own property, so no property tax.
    keep your eye on the payroll tax. they are currently gutting us...
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    31 Jul '13 22:14
    Originally posted by empovsun
    keep your eye on the payroll tax. they are currently gutting us...
    I don't get paid much at the moment. Even at my best I'm still firmly within the lower middle class.